Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

last week in NOLA

visited New Orleans last week and got a chance to speak to many natives (mostly Lyft drivers) and came away with the following impressions:

1. they don't care much about the Pelicans
    2. they care a LOT about the Saints
    3. they only vaguely know who Zion Williamson is (his 20 ft likeness projected outside the Superdome may help)
    4. they have no clue that a large chunk of their team comes from Duke
    5. there were an alarming number of Kentucky bball fans

turns out that Brandon Ingram lives in the hotel I stayed in-I saw him in the lobby and called his name. got a quick head turn then a bolt out the front door with his entourage.

never knew I could so easily scare off a 6'9" man...btw, he really is that skinny in person.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by hsheffield View Post
    visited New Orleans last week and got a chance to speak to many natives (mostly Lyft drivers) and came away with the following impressions:

Hard to care about a team that has only been to the playoffs once. (And got swept out.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Hard to care about a team that has only been to the playoffs once. (And got swept out.)
    Zion will change everything in New Orleans. He changed everything about Duke nationally, to a degree.

3. they only vaguely know who Zion Williamson is (his 20 ft likeness projected outside the Superdome may help)

turns out that Brandon Ingram lives in the hotel I stayed in-I saw him in the lobby and called his name. got a quick head turn then a bolt out the front door with his entourage.

never knew I could so easily scare off a 6'9" man...btw, he really is that skinny in person.
    I live in the New Orleans area. A Pelicans practice which was open to the public drew over 10,000 fans. The Pelicans only home preseason game was sold out. Preseason ticket sales are by far at the highest level ever. Zion Williamson has made a huge impression in New Orleans, not only for his basketball skills, but also for his numerous appearances at charitable and civic events, and just showing up at numerous playgrounds and interacting with kids. He has stated numerous times his love for New Orleans and that love is being returned to him. This is by far the most enthusiasm for basketball I have ever seen in the New Orleans area.

Unibrow didn't care much for the Pelicans either and that definitely rubbed off. But change is in motion. There's a new generation in town and even if only the Uber drivers know it (and not Lyft drivers , the city knows it to the tune of record season ticket sales, even before Zion's pre-season showing: 'It's phenomenal': Pelicans sell 12,000-plus season tickets for Zion's rookie season.

Even opening night, probably for the first time in NBA history (I'm guessing), they're featuring the Pelicans as the feature game!

When does the NBA season start?
    The 2019-20 campaign will tip off Tuesday, Oct. 22 on TNT with marquee matchups featuring the Pelicans, Raptors, Lakers and Clippers. No. 1 overall pick Zion Williamson will make his regular-season debut against the defending champs in the early game (8 p.m. ET), and the Clippers' new dynamic duo of Paul George and Kawhi Leonard will challenge Lakers stars LeBron James and Anthony Davis in the battle for Los Angeles (10:30 p.m. ET).

Also, you have to look at the real power of media today and that's social. Last March he was at 2.5 million followers. He's already up to 4.5 million today, BEFORE the season even starts. Curry is at under 27 million and Lebron is at +50 million. I guarantee that the kids in New Orleans are all hyped about Zion.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Zion will change everything in New Orleans. He changed everything about Duke nationally, to a degree.
    I vote that they come back home to Charlotte and trade places with the current Hornets.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I vote that they come back home to Charlotte and trade places with the current Hornets.
    Brings a lot of players closer to home...

Well, if they can't have the Jazz name in New Orleans, might as well have "Horn-ettes."

Well, I live in Rhode Island and haven't been to New Orleans for a long time, so I don't know nuthin'.

But I still like Zion...

😁

As long as MJ has nothing to do with the team, I'm all in. GoDuke!

And owners too?

Count me in on that

I had not really thought much about it before, but Pelicans might be the worst professional sports team name...

At least the Nippon Ham Fighters were named after the company “Nippon Ham”

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    I had not really thought much about it before, but Pelicans might be the worst professional sports team name...

There's always "Tarheels" to compete with.

fcfa3701e3ae0c6d6f1662f631f39285.jpg

Euphonically or symbolically? Odd century-old names that would never be chosen today: Packers, Redskins (87 years), Dodgers, Phillies, Browns (70 years), and Reds. Also, for other reasons, "Indians" and "Braves" would probably not be selected today -- although not nearly as obnoxious as "Redskins."

And how wonderful are recent names like "Diamondbacks" and "Trail Blazers?"

I like Pelicans -- and, at least, coastal Louisiana has a gazillion.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Euphonically or symbolically? Odd century-old names that would never be chosen today: Packers, Redskins (87 years), Dodgers, Phillies, Browns (70 years), and Reds. Also, for other reasons, "Indians" and "Braves" would probably not be selected today -- although not nearly as obnoxious as "Redskins."

And how wonderful are recent names like "Diamondbacks" and "Trail Blazers?"

I like Pelicans -- and, at least, coastal Louisiana has a gazillion.
    A bit of both but probably more euphonically. Still, Pelicans just don’t seem like something that inspires aggression and rallying behind a team...

I don't think N.O. can hold a candle to the Utah Jazz...that's just a parody right there...

A bit of both but probably more euphonically. Still, Pelicans just don’t seem like something that inspires aggression and rallying behind a team...
    Pelicans - we can soar over your head AND take all your fish...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I don't think N.O. can hold a candle to the Utah Jazz...that's just a parody right there...
    Incongruous for sure! Plus, they have good options. Utah Powder. Utah Salt Flats. Utah Tabernacles.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    What, you can’t get jazzed for the Jazz?