Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

FB: Duke at Virginia, 3:30 pm ACCN

Early odds in Vegas have Duke as a 4 points underdog with the Over/Under at 44 points. Sagarin ratings have Duke at 42 and Virginia at 38. ESPN Football Power Index gives Virginia a 58.4% chance to win.

A key for Duke will be pressuring and containing QB Bryce Perkins. It isn't enough to pressure him, the defense needs to keep him hemmed in. He killed us with his legs last year.

On offense, we need to achieve balance by successfully running the ball. Virginia has a tough run defense, yielding a measly 90 yards per game so they will try to make us one dimensional.

This is a big road game with the victor staying atop the Coastal Division standings.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Early odds in Vegas have Duke as a 4 points underdog with the Over/Under at 44 points. Sagarin ratings have Duke at 42 and Virginia at 38. ESPN Football Power Index gives Virginia a 58.4% chance to win.

A key for Duke will be pressuring and containing QB Bryce Perkins. It isn't enough to pressure him, the defense needs to keep him hemmed in. He killed us with his legs last year.

On offense, we need to achieve balance by successfully running the ball. Virginia has a tough run defense, yielding a measly 90 yards per game so they will try to make us one dimensional.

This is a big road game with the victor staying atop the Coastal Division standings.
    Saw that line and pleasantly surprised it's that low at UVA. Vegas must believe we can slow down Perkins as I doubt we score more than mid 20s against their D.

Sweeping the next two games would be HUGE.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Early odds in Vegas have Duke as a 4 points underdog with the Over/Under at 44 points. Sagarin ratings have Duke at 42 and Virginia at 38. ESPN Football Power Index gives Virginia a 58.4% chance to win ...
    Per the SRS, #35 Duke is 2.84 points better than #46 Virginia on a neutral field, making UVA maybe 1 point better at home. No matter how it's sliced -- Virginia #38 or #46; Duke #35 or #42; spread of 1 point, 3 points, 4 points -- these are two evenly matched teams based on performance to date, and a big day on what the weather app says, for now, will be a sunny, 69-degree day in
    Charlottesville -- just a glorious fall day.

ACC Coastal race

ACC Coastal race

VA 2-1 ... DU, @LV, @NC, GT, VT
    Duke 2-1 ... @VA, @NC, SU, @WF, UM
    NC 2-1 ... @VT, DU, VA, @PT, @ST
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    PT 1-1 ... @SU, UM, @GT, NC, @VT, BC
    UM 1-2 ... GT, @PT, @FS, LV, @DU
    VT 1-2 ... NC, WF, @GT, PT, @VA
    GT 0-3 ... @UM, PT, @VA, VT, ST

Saturday at 3:30 pm will be a fun time -- with Duke @ UVa and UNC @ VT. And we will have Pitt's updated record after it plays Syr Friday night.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    ACC Coastal race

Saturday at 3:30 pm will be a fun time -- with Duke @ UVa and UNC @ VT. And we will have Pitt's updated record after it plays Syr Friday night.
    Is Syracuse ever allowed to play on Saturday?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Pivotal game in the Coastal.. Need it bad..UVA 31, Duke 24..Sorry, hope I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    Pivotal game in the Coastal.. Need it bad..UVA 31, Duke 24..Sorry, hope I am wrong.
    Come on Devilwin — time to embrace your handle!

2012: start 5-1 ... finish 6-7 -- 68th in the country (per the SRS)
    2013: start 4-2 ... finish 10-4 -- 31st in the country
    2014: start 5-1 ... finish 9-4 -- 40th in the country
    2015: start 5-1 ... finish 8-5 -- 57th in the country
    2016: start 3-3 ... finish 5-8 -- 77th in the country
    2017: start 4-2 ... finish 7-6 -- 37th in the country
    2018: start 4-2 ... finish 8-5 -- 41st in the country
    2019: start 4-2 ... finish ??-? -- currently 35th in the country

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...-schedule.html

It's been a fun, successful year to date and hopefully will continue to be so.

I applaud your use of double-digit question marks in the win column. It’s like theoretical optimism.

ACC Coastal race

Something is not quite right since unc already has 2 losses - Wake and Clemson.

The WF -UNC game was not counted as a conference game
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

ACC Coastal race

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    Something is not quite right since unc already has 2 losses - Wake and Clemson.
    Direct your complaints to John Swofford. (ESPN: Wake Forest beats North Carolina 24-18 in nonconference game)

That said, I am mildly surprised that the Clemson loss counts in the Coastal Division standings. UNC is 2-0 so far against the other 6 teams in the division.

ETA: While I'm here, ESPN also reports that Virginia cornerback Bryce Hall has ankle surgery, out for season.

point differentials

Virginia

+35 W&M
    +16 @Pitt
    +11 ODU
    +07 FSU
    ----------------
    -08 @Miami
    -15 @ND

Duke

+35 @VT
    +32 NCA&T
    +23 @MTSU
    +18 GT
    -----------------------
    -03 Pitt
    -39 (N)Bama

Are we at the point in the season where injuries accumulate and weaken our defense?

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Are we at the point in the season where injuries accumulate and weaken our defense?
    The only ones I remember from Saturday are Singleton and Cerenord with Singleton appearing to walk off the field fairly comfortably and Cerenord looking a bit gimpy.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    The only ones I remember from Saturday are Singleton and Cerenord with Singleton appearing to walk off the field fairly comfortably and Cerenord looking a bit gimpy.
    I think it is wise, given our past record, to win everything we can in October.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

correction

2012: start 5-1 ... finish 6-7 -- 68th in the country (per the SRS)
    2013: start 4-2 ... finish 10-4 -- 31st in the country
    2014: start 5-1 ... finish 9-4 -- 40th in the country
    2015: start 5-1 ... finish 8-5 -- 57th in the country
    2016: start 3-3 ... finish 4-8 -- 77th in the country
    2017: start 4-2 ... finish 7-6 -- 37th in the country
    2018: start 4-2 ... finish 8-5 -- 41st in the country

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...-schedule.html

It's been a fun, successful year to date and hopefully will continue to be so.

Defensive end Tre Hornbuckle did not play in the GT game. Hopefully we receive some team health updates this afternoon when Jim Sumner posts his Tuesday football article after Coach Cutcliffe’s press conference.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Come on Devilwin — time to embrace your handle!
    I know. But I don't feel good about this one at all, especially since they lost to the U.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    I know. But I don't feel good about this one at all, especially since they lost to the U.
    For this reason, I was not totally happy to see them lose to the U. Good teams seem to play well off a loss...they play with an extra edge. I'd rather UVa come into the Duke game the same way UGa came into the SC game...kinda half asleep.

That said, I think Duke can be good enough to beat them.