Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by robed deity View Post
    Yeah, good to see the goal scoring come back. I've been encouraged by the goal tending recently. It's basically league average to this point, and I think that's good enough.

But geez, there's gonna be a couple good teams left out of the east playoffs when it's all said and done. Hopefully the Canes won't be one of them. Annoying how 3 of their losses have been to the mediocre Rangers. It feels like Lundqvist is in their head.
    Oh I think that's a given...the Canes had Roberto Luongo in their heads, and made him a HOF goalie....doing the same for Lundquist. Meanwhile we owned Brodeur. Go figure. Sometimes hockey makes less sense than any other sport...

Had to revive this thread as the Canes conjured up some Duke-like come from behind magic last evening. The stars were aligned over Vegas as the Canes came from two goals down twice in the 3rd period to win in a shootout. Aho with his 30th on a pace to score 45. Williams secured the SO victory with his 3rd straight SO goal. He can delay drawing social security for a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    Had to revive this thread as the Canes conjured up some Duke-like come from behind magic last evening. The stars were aligned over Vegas as the Canes came from two goals down twice in the 3rd period to win in a shootout. Aho with his 30th on a pace to score 45. Williams secured the SO victory with his 3rd straight SO goal. He can delay drawing social security for a bit.
    An amazing night...I spent about 5.8 of the 6 hours between 6pm and midnight with my teams behind, and often way behind....and ended up 2-0 on a spectacular night. It was something. And man, Williams seems so calm and so in control on the shootouts. He's scored 3-3 EZ PEAZY. (by the way, did you notice he seemed ticked last night before, during and AFTER the SO Goal? ...maybe lack of ice time in last ten minutes?)

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    An amazing night...I spent about 5.8 of the 6 hours between 6pm and midnight with my teams behind, and often way behind...and ended up 2-0 on a spectacular night. It was something. And man, Williams seems so calm and so in control on the shootouts. He's scored 3-3 EZ PEAZY. (by the way, did you notice he seemed ticked last night before, during and AFTER the SO Goal? ...maybe lack of ice time in last ten minutes?)
    Yup. Maybe Rod is cutting his minutes to get him to the end of the season or maybe Rod just thinks that when the game gets to that frenetic 3rd period "pull the goalie" type of action Justin can't get from end to end as fast as younger guys. He definitely is the master of calm on the SO. What's striking is that he is not blasting the puck past the goalies, he feathers it by them if that makes sense with perfect placement.

Yup. Maybe Rod is cutting his minutes to get him to the end of the season or maybe Rod just thinks that when the game gets to that frenetic 3rd period "pull the goalie" type of action Justin can't get from end to end as fast as younger guys. He definitely is the master of calm on the SO. What's striking is that he is not blasting the puck past the goalies, he feathers it by them if that makes sense with perfect placement.
    And right now, Haula, Turbo, Aho, Svech, and Necas are all playing great...Staal is solid and needed for face offs...and since Williams is not really a fourth line type player, and the lines above are getting crowded, I think his time does go down late in frenetic games. Dzingel and Nino are not playing great, but they are faster than Williams now. But man, he's butter on the shoot out this season. You're right, he smooths it past them after sizing up where the hole will be.

Outdoor Game in Raleigh

Announced last night that the Winter Classic coming to Raleigh next February. Big announcement for the Canes.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Announced last night that the Winter Classic coming to Raleigh next February. Big announcement for the Canes.
    That's a dangerous choice. We've had days in 2020 so far that have been close to 80 degrees.

Edit...found a link about the game.
    https://www.wralsportsfan.com/it-s-o...dium/18954320/
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    My favorite quote in that link.
    We’re proud to be the first NHL market in the Southeast to host an outdoor game,” said Hurricanes CEO, Owner and Governor Tom Dundon. “We’re going to do everything we can to make as many seats available as possible, because we know how high demand will be for this game, and the epic tailgate that will accompany it."
    I would not be surprised if we find a way to set up for that game.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

We’re proud to be the first NHL market in the Southeast to host an outdoor game,” said Hurricanes CEO, Owner and Governor Tom Dundon. “We’re going to do everything we can to make as many seats available as possible, because we know how high demand will be for this game, and the epic tailgate that will accompany it."
    Yep, when I read that, I knew the tailgate was an important thing for Dundon. The technology can make the ice work at any temperature....Dundon wants the weather nice enough for epic tailgate. I will be there.

Yep, when I read that, I knew the tailgate was an important thing for Dundon. The technology can make the ice work at any temperature...Dundon wants the weather nice enough for epic tailgate. I will be there.
    There's one to the first Canes' Menu & Attendance thread.
    (FYI, for any that don't know, the M&A is a staple before each of our football tailgates.)

Please reserve my spot now.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Historic Night for Canes: will it sink them or launch them?

What the Canes experienced last night is absolutely and extremely rare....with the Emergency Backup Goalie (EBUG) coming in, a 42 year old zamboni driver from Toronto....and helping the Canes hold on to a lead for nearly half the game...in a very key game with playoff implications. Only in the NHL can such an odd thing happen. The EBUG played a good third period after a very bad start, and the Canes played amazingly well in front of him...dominated the entire ice.

And it was a magical evening...but...both goalies injured...and for how long? And another great defenseman out for a long time (Pesce). Trade deadline coming up TOMORROW afternoon...and the Canes were not buyers as of Saturday afternoon. Now however? I don't know. Grab a goalie? Grab a D? The franchise and the city needs playoff games....

What the Canes experienced last night is absolutely and extremely rare...with the Emergency Backup Goalie (EBUG) coming in, a 42 year old zamboni driver from Toronto...and helping the Canes hold on to a lead for nearly half the game...in a very key game with playoff implications. Only in the NHL can such an odd thing happen. The EBUG played a good third period after a very bad start, and the Canes played amazingly well in front of him...dominated the entire ice.

And it was a magical evening...but...both goalies injured...and for how long? And another great defenseman out for a long time (Pesce). Trade deadline coming up TOMORROW afternoon...and the Canes were not buyers as of Saturday afternoon. Now however? I don't know. Grab a goalie? Grab a D? The franchise and the city needs playoff games...
    Agree with this. I'd be tempted to go get a winger unless Pesce is going to be out more than a month. Why? I have no clue except that I remember them acquiring Mark Recchi who was an important piece of the Canes push to the Cup in 06. I don't think they need a scorer. The Canes are +29 in the goals scored column which has to be close to a franchise record. They have plenty of guys who can put the puck in the net. But a strong winger who is good in the middle of the ice and strong on the forecheck seems like a need against teams like Boston and the Caps.

Agree with this. I'd be tempted to go get a winger unless Pesce is going to be out more than a month. Why? I have no clue except that I remember them acquiring Mark Recchi who was an important piece of the Canes push to the Cup in 06. I don't think they need a scorer. The Canes are +29 in the goals scored column which has to be close to a franchise record. They have plenty of guys who can put the puck in the net. But a strong winger who is good in the middle of the ice and strong on the forecheck seems like a need against teams like Boston and the Caps.
    I heard Tom Dundon say about 3 days ago that the Canes were not going to be trading for any new players....then Saturday night happens. As magical an evening as it was, it leaves them now with mutliple problems...down 2 goalies AND a defenseman....with the league's best D man already out for the season. They have no choice now...trade for a D, and maybe a tender as well.

On more of a fun note, Ayers will be in Raleigh Tuesday to sound the siren. Ought to be a great crowd for a Tuesday. What a fun and classy franchise...

Big day for the Canes at the deadline. They picked up Trocheck and a couple defensemen, obviously a position of need with Hamilton still out and now Pesce. Good work by the front office.

Big day for the Canes at the deadline. They picked up Trocheck and a couple defensemen, obviously a position of need with Hamilton still out and now Pesce. Good work by the front office.
    Yep, that front office went from doing nothing by design...to wheeling and dealing on a dime. Not easy to do. I'm not sure this salvages a playoff run...but it is a great proactive response to a nearly unprecedented run of bad luck on injuries....in about 15 minutes of ice time.

One of my media friends who covers the Canes thinks that Pesce is out for the season.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    One of my media friends who covers the Canes thinks that Pesce is out for the season.
    I think your friend is probably correct. The Pesce injury was kind of lost in all the hoopla around losing both goalies, and the replacement, and so on...but the Cane's goalies in Charlotte might be as good as the two in Raleigh anyway....(of course now Charlotte is screwed...)...there is no one in Charlotte to replace Hamilton or Pesce.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Yikes. What does your media friend say about Hamilton?

Yikes. What does your media friend say about Hamilton?
    Probably "...Got a lot farther by working a lot harder
    By being a lot smarter
    By being a self-starter..."

Oh, Dougie, not Alexander.

(had to beat Tripping William to this )
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.