Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Incredibly productive road trip. Nine points in five games!!

Now, they need to build on that at home.

But the trend lines are positive. This team looks like a contender.

Stall's pass to set up the game tying goal seems like--working theory here--the type of play a team that is playing loose and reacting well to game conditions, makes, the analog to "letting the game come to you" in basketball. The doubts that seemingly plagued the franchise--no lead was safe, couldn't win in OT, couldn't win a shootout, anemic power play--are distant memories. And finally a team that can score in bunches with reliable lines. Still no franchise 1st line center but a team of solid contributors...and Dougie Hamilton on the blue line. Great fun watching these guys.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    Stall's pass to set up the game tying goal seems like--working theory here--the type of play a team that is playing loose and reacting well to game conditions, makes, the analog to "letting the game come to you" in basketball. The doubts that seemingly plagued the franchise--no lead was safe, couldn't win in OT, couldn't win a shootout, anemic power play--are distant memories. And finally a team that can score in bunches with reliable lines. Still no franchise 1st line center but a team of solid contributors...and Dougie Hamilton on the blue line. Great fun watching these guys.
    Not only did they take 9 points on the trip, but so many of the goals were pretty "video game" style goals. Fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Incredibly productive road trip. Nine points in five games!!

Now, they need to build on that at home.

But the trend lines are positive. This team looks like a contender.
    All that is true, and man they are fun to watch to boot. The problem is, all of the east beat up all of the west the past few games...so the Canes gained only a little ground by winning 9 of 10 possible points. That said, they gained ground during their 5 game western roadie....which is unusual.

Tough day at the office last night. Just never got anything going so the crowd never got into it. If this were Duke basketball, it would have been one of those games where K would visit the crowd beforehand and tell them they'd really need them, especially after the long grueling trip.

Quote Originally Posted by robed deity View Post
    Tough day at the office last night. Just never got anything going so the crowd never got into it. If this were Duke basketball, it would have been one of those games where K would visit the crowd beforehand and tell them they'd really need them, especially after the long grueling trip.
    Agreed....I think the fan base and the team were mentally fatigued last night. It was predictable, almost. And they did get 44 SOG...as Roddy said, couldn't catch a break.

Whoa, did not watch the game, just saw the box score, 8-6 Leafs. First guess is that a pretty lazy effort was mounted by the defense. 3 goals in 59 seconds, a goal :30 into the 1st period.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    Whoa, did not watch the game, just saw the box score, 8-6 Leafs. First guess is that a pretty lazy effort was mounted by the defense. 3 goals in 59 seconds, a goal :30 into the 1st period.
    I could not watch, but my son was texting me updates. Apparently Carolina trailed 3-0 --- then led 6-4 -- then got beat by that 8-6 What a roller coaster, and a goalie disater for all involved.

Canes fell behind 3-0, then scored 5 in a row to take a 5-3 lead. Canes scored, then gave up 3 goals in 59 seconds. An empty netter and it's over. Both our goalies stunk the place up..

Ruh Roh....I think this is a mistake....Justin Williams returning?

Rumors rampant that Justin Williams will come out of his semi not quite retirement and return to the team.

Two months ago, I'd have welcomed this move. Now? Not so much. Jordan Staal is not the natural captain Justin is, but he's settled into the role and is also playing lights out the last 15-20 games as well....so how do you dance between Justin being brought back for leadership and Jordan being the captain of THIS team. And who loses minutes? Haula? Necas? McGinn, the way he's playing?

Boat in no need of rocking at the moment IMO...and I loved what Justin did for this team last season.

A really long twitter thread on hockey stats, most of which I don’t understand, and in many cases mention the Hurricanes favorably.

https://twitter.com/chartinghockey/s...505661952?s=21

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    That late (and stupid) penalty against the Caps was painful; it killed a great comeback.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    A really long twitter thread on hockey stats, most of which I don’t understand, and in many cases mention the Hurricanes favorably.

https://twitter.com/chartinghockey/s...505661952?s=21
    Wow, very esoteric...but interesting.
    Yes, this metrics guy likes Carolina a lot. The numbers seem to prove out what my thoughts on the team is:
    A: One of the best, fastest teams in the NHL.
    B: High skill level.
    C: Really good scheme
    D: a little weak in the goalie department
    E: seem to have below average luck, bounces, etc.

Justin is back...

And I'm not sure I like it...team had to transition away from having Justin Williams...now they have to transition back to having him. I think it's telling that a hot Hurricanes team lost two in a row, including one very poor performance, as the rumors started circulating.

I'm a big believer in chemistry in all sports...sometimes the chemistry equation is "addition by subtraction" - ie Sheed Suliman in 2015 - and sometimes "subtraction by addition" - happens a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    And I'm not sure I like it...team had to transition away from having Justin Williams...now they have to transition back to having him. I think it's telling that a hot Hurricanes team lost two in a row, including one very poor performance, as the rumors started circulating.

I'm a big believer in chemistry in all sports...sometimes the chemistry equation is "addition by subtraction" - ie Sheed Suliman in 2015 - and sometimes "subtraction by addition" - happens a lot.
    Maybe. But I'm not sure they've found their stride all year. Flashes of a an elite team-yes-but no consistency. In principle, I agree with you about a teams chemistry, but this addition (or return, whatever you want to call it) may be worth it.

Maybe. But I'm not sure they've found their stride all year. Flashes of a an elite team-yes-but no consistency. In principle, I agree with you about a teams chemistry, but this addition (or return, whatever you want to call it) may be worth it.
    Certainly hope I'm wrong and you're right.

And I agree they've not fully found their stride...but they've been close. If they can win tonight, finish the home stand with 3 straight wins, that would be good sign. Seems no one in the West can beat them. The NHL is the reverse of the NBA....(in the East V West thing).

Throw back Whaler jerseys night tonight...will end this longest home stand ever with 7 straight sell outs, or near sell outs, including the mid-week games.

Big win tonight....much needed....eight rounds of shootout, Justin Williams with the winner. Storybook...

Big win tonight...much needed...eight rounds of shootout, Justin Williams with the winner. Storybook...
    Yeah, really needed that one and the place sounded like it was bananas! The East is loaded. Have been having trouble scoring goals recently. I'll feel a lot better going into the break with a win tomorrow.

Yeah, really needed that one and the place sounded like it was bananas! The East is loaded. Have been having trouble scoring goals recently. I'll feel a lot better going into the break with a win tomorrow.
    Well we got that win, and more drama from Willy, with 2 goals! And glad to see Turbo find the net - after dealing out so many amazing assists. Big win heading into break...and the East, the Metropolitan especially, remains very loaded. Over loaded.

Well we got that win, and more drama from Willy, with 2 goals! And glad to see Turbo find the net - after dealing out so many amazing assists. Big win heading into break...and the East, the Metropolitan especially, remains very loaded. Over loaded.
    Yeah, good to see the goal scoring come back. I've been encouraged by the goal tending recently. It's basically league average to this point, and I think that's good enough.

But geez, there's gonna be a couple good teams left out of the east playoffs when it's all said and done. Hopefully the Canes won't be one of them. Annoying how 3 of their losses have been to the mediocre Rangers. It feels like Lundqvist is in their head.