Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    This whole thing is just outrageo...wait, what we were talking about?

On a more serious note, I'll share this little anecdote from when I was a teenager and my father was a professor at BYU. He was teaching upper level Phys Ed classes. At one point, he had one of the BYU quarterbacks in his class. He failed the class. The next semester, he failed it again.

Thereafter, my father got a call from the Athletic Director, who asked, "When are you going to pass name redacted?" To which my father replied, "When he does passing work," and hung up the phone.

#Not.the.Carolina.Way.
    Well depending upon when you were a teenager, things may have changed even at BYU. Though I applaud your Dad's decision. The AD should have been fired. Hopefully none of the QB's moms got involved.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    The Tydreke audio clip was taken down years ago. I have no doubt that UNC played a role in this. And that woman who ran the testing center in Durham was the girlfriend of Fats Thomas. Remember him?
    Someone go over to PackPride... I guarantee one of those guys has it saved somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I struggle to identify in my mind what extra benefits would be made available to a "military family" that are not available to a non-military family.

As a veteran who spent 30 years on active duty in the U.S. Navy who continues to be a Department of Defense employee (42+ years Total Active Federal Service) I do not believe military families receive any extra benefits by having a child designated as EC.

Could you elaborate?
    For the military, it's not really monetary benefits, but it gives them more flexability into where they go for their next orders, etc. If they can get their kid classified as "EFMP" exceptional family member program, they have more control over where they get stationed and when. If you have 2 or 3 kids with that designation, you have even more control over your orders.

I'm obviously not in the military and I'm going off what my wife and her coworkers(many of which are military wives) have told me. This is also an air force town, so I don't know if its different for different branches. Wouldn't think it would be.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    The Tydreke audio clip was taken down years ago. I have no doubt that UNC played a role in this. And that woman who ran the testing center in Durham was the girlfriend of Fats Thomas. Remember him?
    C'mon, folks: the Wayback Machine is your friend. (And folks with skillz, please download and save it for future consideration, 'cause unc will get it removed from there, too!)

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    For the military, it's not really monetary benefits, but it gives them more flexability into where they go for their next orders, etc. If they can get their kid classified as "EFMP" exceptional family member program, they have more control over where they get stationed and when. If you have 2 or 3 kids with that designation, you have even more control over your orders.
    I am very familiar with EFMP but there is no way I would classify it as a benefit and for the Navy it does not give a service member more flexibility when it comes to orders. In fact, it is the opposite, it locks service members into major fleet concentration areas (Norfolk, San Diego, Bremerton) with large hospitals capable of providing requisite medical care. EFMP designation pretty much disqualifies a service member for overseas duty which could indirectly impact upward mobility.

I don't intend for my next comment to be rude but I do intend for it to be pointed -- IMO, you don't know what you're talking about.
    Bob Green

I don't intend for my next comment to be rude but I do intend for it to be pointed -- IMO, you don't know what you're talking about.
    The Pacific fleet just fired a broadside.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Cleveland State right now:
    spongebob.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    C'mon, folks: the Wayback Machine is your friend.
    Great!!! Recording it for posterity now.

I am very familiar with EFMP but there is no way I would classify it as a benefit and for the Navy it does not give a service member more flexibility when it comes to orders. In fact, it is the opposite, it locks service members into major fleet concentration areas (Norfolk, San Diego, Bremerton) with large hospitals capable of providing requisite medical care. EFMP designation pretty much disqualifies a service member for overseas duty which could indirectly impact upward mobility.

I have mostly silently followed the DBR board for many, many years. And have ALWAYS valued Bob's comments. He appears to be as committed to Duke sports as much as he is to the USA and its military. THANKS, Bob...

Again, I'm only repeating what these military wives have told me and/or my wife. I literally texted one of these women before I responded to your post to make sure I was understanding what they were telling me before posting. My post was almost word for word from her mouth and it repeats what several others at the school are doing.

Right wrong or indifferent, that's what more than one family has told me.

Maybe they aren't getting the benefits they think they are, but they are definitely pushing for that classification because they think it helps them.

I'm just taking these families/teachers at their word that they consider it a benefit and as a result, seek it out.

Edit: Moving on, to keep the thread on topic. Thank you for your service Bob, not trying to argue, you obviously know more about military life than I do.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    C'mon, folks: the Wayback Machine is your friend. (And folks with skillz, please download and save it for future consideration, 'cause unc will get it removed from there, too!)

-jk
    Unbelievable, I have never listened to it before but WOW. That's pretty damning.

Its almost as bad as listening to Tyler Hanstravel reading "Chicken Little" while knowing he has a communication degree.
    Last edited by DukeFanSince1990; 10-09-2019 at 09:37 AM. Reason: weak attempt at humor

Quote Originally Posted by DukeFanSince1990 View Post
    Unbelievable, I have never listened to it before but WOW. That's pretty damning.

Its almost as bad as listening to Tyler Hanstravel reading "Chicken Little" while knowing he has a communication degree.
    How do you say “a corn” in Swahili?

220px-Three_wise_monkeys_figure.JPG

Move along-still nothing to hear/see/speak of here.

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Handing out ADHD diagnosis, pills and no show classes amounts to exploitation of real human beings. Even if the athletes don’t use the meds they don’t need, isn’t the university an accomplice if they are given/sold to other students.

Forget about sports and money and cheating; this amounts to evil. Taking advantage of less fortunate people who you are manipulating for your own personal gain. That is sad human behavior.

I want to believe the concussion research had lofty ambitions and good intentions. Maybe it started out that way but it appears ego took the controls.

I’m not convinced UNC is a bad university, but I am becoming convinced that any intersection with UNC athletics ends badly.

Quote Originally Posted by BoiseDevil View Post
    Handing out ADHD diagnosis, pills and no show classes amounts to exploitation of real human beings. Even if the athletes don’t use the meds they don’t need, isn’t the university an accomplice if they are given/sold to other students.

Forget about sports and money and cheating; this amounts to evil. Taking advantage of less fortunate people who you are manipulating for your own personal gain. That is sad human behavior.

I want to believe the concussion research had lofty ambitions and good intentions. Maybe it started out that way but it appears ego took the controls.

I’m not convinced UNC is a bad university, but I am becoming convinced that any intersection with UNC athletics ends badly.
    UNC has had some fairly notable issues wholly unrelated to athletics as well. They aren't the only ones, but I don't think it is unreasonable to suggest that as an institution they need a bit of cultural cleanup to solve some problems with integrity.

Let's not forget that Jan Boxill at the center of the fake class scandal was head of the Parr Center for Ethics.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Let's not forget that Jan Boxill at the center of the fake class scandal was head of the Parr Center for Ethics.
    and that valerie ashby, the current dean of trinity, was among the group of faculty who exhorted the media to sweep the whole thing under the rug instead of demanding the administration stop stonewalling.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    How do you say “a corn” in Swahili?
    Ask your local libarian.

Quote Originally Posted by BoiseDevil View Post

Let's not ignore they problems they've had with Title IX rape investigations. https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...-investigation

Or that their hospital had to shut down many pediatric cardio surgeries AFTER someone blew the whistle.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/17/u...ldren-unc.html
    The actions are in response to a New York Times investigation last month into the medical institution, where cardiologists, department leaders and even the former head of the children’s hospital expressed concerns about patients faring poorly after heart surgery there. Secret audio recordings provided to The Times captured doctors talking openly, some even saying they might not feel comfortable allowing their own children to have surgery at the hospital.
    Then of course we have their football stadium named after a key figure in the Wilmington Massacre. We have the UNC BOT and Ram's Club Chair swapping seats and lots of other shady University things in general.

The more I learn about UNC the more I think it is a bad University where the good people stay quite because they need a job.
    Last edited by PackMan97; 10-09-2019 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Let's not ignore they problems they've had with Title IX rape investigations. https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...-investigation

Or that their hospital had to shut down many pediatric cardio surgeries AFTER someone blew the whistle.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/17/u...ldren-unc.html

Then of course we have their football stadium named after a key figure in the Wilmington Massacre. We have the UNC BOT and Ram's Club Chair swapping seats and lots of other shady University things in general.

The more I learn about UNC the more I think it is a bad University where the good people stay quite because they need a job.
    Tsk, tsk. I'm disappointed you overlooked this gem with their entire hospital system on probation, tying right in with the pediatric cardiac surgical disaster:

https://www.beckershospitalreview.co...ommission.html
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.