Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    They also recently named their soccer field after coaching legend Anson Dorrance, who has been accused of sexual misconduct by multiple players. The list goes on and on...

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Tsk, tsk. I'm disappointed you overlooked this gem with their entire hospital system on probation, tying right in with the pediatric cardiac surgical disaster:

https://www.beckershospitalreview.co...ommission.html
    I'll admit, since I've learned they are above punishment and could get away with killing someone in Times Square, my desire to follow all the bad news they receive has greatly lessened. I'm slippy mostly due to apathy. To paraphrase Roy Williams, "I just don't give a poop about Carolina as much as I used to".

UNC has come out and strongly said, "We are Carolina. We are better than everyone else and everyone else thinks so. How dare you accuse us of not being as awesome as we think we are."

https://tbicenter.unc.edu/assets/img/posts/19.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Let's not ignore they problems they've had with Title IX rape investigations. https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...-investigation

Or that their hospital had to shut down many pediatric cardio surgeries AFTER someone blew the whistle.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/17/u...ldren-unc.html

Then of course we have their football stadium named after a key figure in the Wilmington Massacre. We have the UNC BOT and Ram's Club Chair swapping seats and lots of other shady University things in general.

The more I learn about UNC the more I think it is a bad University where the good people stay quite because they need a job.
    This seems way over the top. Have you looked into all of the trouble Duke University Hospital and Duke University in general (including employees) have gotten into over the past 20 years?

Keep in mind, I love Duke University and Duke Hospital. I’m just saying bad and illicit things happen at EVERY university and hospital. To single out UNC and it’s hospital system as somehow being more immoral or incompetent than most of the others just doesn’t hold up to scrutiny.

I'll admit, since I've learned they are above punishment and could get away with killing someone in Times Square, my desire to follow all the bad news they receive has greatly lessened. I'm slippy mostly due to apathy. To paraphrase Roy Williams, "I just don't give a poop about Carolina as much as I used to".

UNC has come out and strongly said, "We are Carolina. We are better than everyone else and everyone else thinks so. How dare you accuse us of not being as awesome as we think we are."

That pdf is worth a read. Two things I think are worth noting:

Statement from UNC-Chapel Hill Interim Chancellor Kevin Guskiewicz:
    “I stand by our concussion research 100 percent. The allegations about our research are baseless,
    without scientific merit and completely false.
    That is a sufficiently strong claim that it's almost guaranteed to be trivially false even without an examination of the evidence. The "allegations" don't even need to be at all correct, only pass some basic research standards, to contradict this statement. Upon seeing that statement, I'd expect anyone who has examined some of the relevant evidence to be immediately suspicious of Guskiewicz.

Second, the remaining content of the statement is little more than ad hominem and its inverse, not addressing substantive claims. While talking about credentials can be sometimes be useful, the point is to use that sort of information when you don't have other evidence to examine or when deciding how to prioritize one's limited resources in conducting an examination of evidence from difference sources. For a good exposition on the topic, see Argument Screens Off Authority. The form of this particular response should be pretty alarming to anyone who values scientific rigor, in my opinion.

Check your PM.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Major document dump yesterday on Twitter from Ted Tatos, who wrote the article that was the main focus of the Athletic feature. He is launching an all-out attack on UNC’s concussion research. Many are responding in defense of their work and methodology. Wrapped up in all of this are some emails from former UNC athletes supporting him and Mary Williingham for their work exposing the fake classes scam. If you recall, Tatos was one who uncovered much of the fraud by poring through the supplemental docs of the Wainstein report, which was literally millions of pages.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Major document dump yesterday on Twitter from Ted Tatos, who wrote the article that was the main focus of the Athletic feature. He is launching an all-out attack on UNC’s concussion research. Many are responding in defense of their work and methodology. Wrapped up in all of this are some emails from former UNC athletes supporting him and Mary Williingham for their work exposing the fake classes scam. If you recall, Tatos was one who uncovered much of the fraud by poring through the supplemental docs of the Wainstein report, which was literally millions of pages.
    It'll be interesting to see if espn covers this...

I imagine it won't be interesting. Sadly.

Not a peep so far. The Athletic is a rival publication who has stolen away many of their top writers, so I doubt they’ll be citing their work. Plus, it’s UNC.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I imagine it won't be interesting. Sadly.
    Not a peep so far. The Athletic is a rival publication who has stolen away many of their top writers, so I doubt they’ll be citing their work. Plus, it’s UNC.
    The really nice thing would be if the NYT, WaPost and a few other major newspapers picked this up and ran with it.

I think they are far too busy going through every second of the grizzlies game in super slo-mo to see if Grayson did anything “wrong”

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this is prevalent throughout education today. My wife is a teacher at a military leadership School, and they have to constantly deal with over-entitled parents who constantly try to get their kids on a "list" for ADHD, autism, etc., because it gets them extra benefits, and special provisions. It's out of control.
    It was/is big in baseball around here in the highschool level.if there kid doesnt have the meds.they parents will pay you a pretty penny for your kids meds.crazy stuff.

Tag line don't lie

No gruel for you, baby blue

The music never stops

The music never stops
    The music never stops

The music never stops
    The University of North Carolina
    Where CHEATING is a Way of Life

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    This seems way over the top.
    I was actually thinking i was going soft on the Cheats.

Do we forget the Walk-on that got beat up in a hazing incident that the University settled for almost seven figures? I think the four players each received a one game suspension against Liberty. Something is definitely rotten at UNC and it's not over the top to say so.
    https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/...e85089202.html

Now that Skipper is gone, perhaps a glimmer of hope?

Do we forget the Walk-on that got beat up in a hazing incident that the University settled for almost seven figures? I think the four players each received a one game suspension against Liberty. Something is definitely rotten at UNC and it's not over the top to say so.
    And don’t forget Cheats destruction of our locker room after football win😡

Well, I was essentially referring to UNC Hospital and UNC academics unrelated to the “student”-athletes portion of the student body. I think there is a clear delineation.

However, I do agree that UNC compromises it’s integrity in regard to its basketball and football programs. Of that there is no doubt.

In that Athletic piece, Willingham draws a connection between the fraudulent concussion research and the fraudulent classes. She says that both stem from the university’s prevailing attitude to protect the brand at all costs. For that reason, when she presented research demonstrating that their athletes read at a fourth grade level she was discredited, forced out, and even threatened.

The stuff going on at the hospital may be unrelated, but the attitude is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Well, I was essentially referring to UNC Hospital and UNC academics unrelated to the “student”-athletes portion of the student body. I think there is a clear delineation.

However, I do agree that UNC compromises it’s integrity in regard to its basketball and football programs. Of that there is no doubt.

In that Athletic piece, Willingham draws a connection between the fraudulent concussion research and the fraudulent classes.

The stuff going on at the hospital may be unrelated, but the attitude is the same.
    I do think they are unrelated, but not. It's the same attitude. The same willingness to compromise to get what you want. The same desire to cover up and obfuscate instead of deal with systemic problems head on and in the open. It pervades the entire UNC-CH culture. Let's not even get into the shaddy links between Fats/Basketball and the Dental school. I just do not have a good opinion of UNC.

... I just do not have a good opinion of UNC.
    Understatement of the year.