Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

The neverending saga of the CHeaters

I wonder if this will amount to anything. Five years ago, Tydreke Powell called into a local radio show and explained that the entire football team was instructed to intentionally fail a screen for learning disabilities so they could be diagnosed with ADHD and therefore given adderall and also afforded extra time to take tests and given tutors. He went on to explain that the entire AFAM scam was created for basketball players, and that everyone on the football team knew it, as did Roy.

tweet.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I wonder if this will amount to anything. Five years ago, Tydreke Powell called into a local radio show and explained that the entire football team was instructed to intentionally fail a screen for learning disabilities so they could be diagnosed with ADHD and therefore given adderall and also afforded extra time to take tests and given tutors. He went on to explain that the entire AFAM scam was created for basketball players, and that everyone on the football team knew it, as did Roy.

tweet.jpg
    Even if the Athletic concludes Roy was personally involved in developing, implementing and covering up the scam, Swofford and NCAA look the other way.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this is prevalent throughout education today. My wife is a teacher at a military leadership School, and they have to constantly deal with over-entitled parents who constantly try to get their kids on a "list" for ADHD, autism, etc., because it gets them extra benefits, and special provisions. It's out of control.

#typo

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this is prevalent throughout education today. My wife is a teacher at a military leadership School, and they have to constantly deal with over-entitled parents who constantly try to get their kids on a "list" for ADHD, autism, etc., because it gets them extra benefits, and special provisions. It's out of control.
    That does sound like a problem. But is it relevant in the context of major college athletics and what UNC is alleged to have done? Does it excuse the Cheats cheating?

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    That does sound like a problem. But is it relevant in the context of major college athletics and what UNC is alleged to have done? Does it excuse the Cheats cheating?
    C'mon, roy, you know by now that *anything* excuses the cheats cheating .
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

This ish will never stick as somewhere on the "u"nc campus, there will be at least one other student who took/takes this drug, therefore proving it's available to the student body, meaning, no case.

9F 'em.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    It is my understanding that the prescribed drugs are considered performance enhancers and otherwise those taking them would be banned/suspended.

I note from the tweet that the article is in FRONT of the paywall, so they want a big audience.

Proposed new UNC mascot--the cheetah:

Cheetahs, cheetahs, you know what you did.

Cheetahs, cheetahs, you know what you are.

Cheetahs

just stop...they have better lawyers...nothing will happen to them....it's useless...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

It is not related to what UNC did. I rambled on about some of UNC's faulty actions that were evidenced in the data dumps of yore (disregarding DSM-IV diagnostic criteria attested to by UNC, disregarding patient report, using the wrong clinical tools in evaluation, grossly misinterpreting collected data, wrong people doing the clinical decision-making, etc). Their ADHD assessments were fraught with substantial errors. However, I continue to believe that they were mistakes rather than intentional deceit. After all, they had wanted to publish the findings for all to see, in hopes of "helping" athletes across the US. Looks like we'll all get to see more now, I guess.
    Last edited by bedeviled; 10-08-2019 at 02:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    I have a kid that is most likely on the spectrum, and we fight hard not to get him labeled with something. It's out of control how much places want to label him so they'll get extra $$$ and resources.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    I have a kid that is most likely on the spectrum, and we fight hard not to get him labeled with something. It's out of control how much places want to label him so they'll get extra $$$ and resources.
    Please do be thoughtful about it. He may actually need extra resources, and those get $$$ really fast...

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Please do be thoughtful about it. He may actually need extra resources, and those get $$$ really fast...

-jk
    I agree, and that's what makes it so maddingly frustrating for my wife. She has come home in tears before because she has so many "EC" students in her class that get extra attention, extra test time etc., that she feels like the ones that really need it aren't getting the attention they need.

The parents are learning which Dr's have a high probability of giving your kid a label and are flocking to them and demanding their kid be labeled with something.

One of our daughter's best friends lives in our neighborhood. They have been in the same grade, played sports together, the whole nine since they were five years old. They are both straight A students, active in the community, and outgoing, sociable kids.

The girls mom has since learned about the extra benefits(especially being a military family) that she can receive for having a child that is considered "EC" whether it is autism, ADD, whatever. That woman has fought tooth and nail and now all 3 of her kids are "EC" labeled.

It’s past 6AM EDT, and nothing on the web page.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    It’s past 6AM EDT, and nothing on the web page.
    Anyone seen where Manalishi got to?

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Anyone seen where Manalishi got to?

-jk
    Update at 8AM. There is an article on their app. (haven’t read it yet.). Headline is about data missing from their “reknown” concussion study.

Cheaters gonna cheat. It’s what they do because it’s who they are.

I haven’t read it yet either, but it’s an article with three accompanying videos, each about 10 min. long. My guess is that The Athletic is trying to branch out past written articles and into videos and this free series is a way to give new subscribers a sample.