Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    Why is attendance so bad?
    Limited local fan base and the lack of casual fans. In today's social climate, neutral football fans are not going to wake up, look outside at the gorgeous weather and say, "Hey, Duke is playing GT at home today let's head over to Wallace Wade and enjoy the game." They are going to stay at home and watch games on TV.

A couple of thoughts on the game/team:

1. Josh Blackwell is having a great season as the punt returner. He is currently #3 in the ACC with a 13.1 yards per return average. Those numbers really help the team with field position.

2. The underclass wide receivers were productive yesterday: true freshman Jalon Calhoun with a 42 yard reception; true freshman Darrell Harding with a 41 yard reception; sophomore Damond Philyaw-Johnson with a 26 yard reception. Wide receiver position has multiple young guys who have proven they can make contested catches.

3. I read in Jim Sumner's recap Coach Cutcliffe stated post game that Duke is beat up. That's a statement which is concerning. Hopefully, he is referring to a bunch of bumps and bruises that can heal quickly through recuperation because the next two weeks are important, winnable road games against Virginia and Carolina. We need to be as close to full strength as possible.
    Bob Green

It's that time of year when every team is beat up...huge challenge this week...UVA is beatable for sure, but they have defended us very capably in recent years...

Going into the season many of us were concerned that receiver was a weak spot. I’m giving credit to both the great looking freshman receivers and Coach Taylor. Those freshmen are making good catches and then getting lots of extra yards. So sorry Daniel didn’t have a crew like this to throw to. Go Duke! 4-2 better than most predicted. We’re only disappointed because it could easily be 5-1. Now let’s go win the Coastal!

What was up with Aaron Young our leading receiver? He had no catches and barely played.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

I haven't seen it noted elsewhere that it was reserve linebacker Xander Gagnon that blocked the punt that was returned for a TD. Glad o give the young man some recognition for making a big contribution to our win yesterday.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Great picture - thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMeDoIt View Post
    Going into the season many of us were concerned that receiver was a weak spot. I’m giving credit to both the great looking freshman receivers and Coach Taylor. Those freshmen are making good catches and then getting lots of extra yards. So sorry Daniel didn’t have a crew like this to throw to. Go Duke! 4-2 better than most predicted. We’re only disappointed because it could easily be 5-1. Now let’s go win the Coastal!
    The receiver issue is interesting (and there's no reason for me to complain when we win)...it just seems like we've been getting occasionally good catches from our wide receivers, then looooong stretches of invisibility...Bobo and Young were hard to find, only Calhoun seemed to be regularly involved. We'll know a lot more about these guys now that we're facing a capable opponent every game from here on out. When we need to throw the ball a lot, I'm not sure what to expect, but I am hopeful.

Tweet from Adam Rowe:

@AdamRoweTDD
    Duke has scored 30+ points in five consecutive games for the first time since 1989, per
    @DukeFOOTBALL's post game notes.
    The offense is averaging 34.5 points per game through six games. Ignore the Alabama game and the number increases to 40.4 ppg.

The defense is allowing 23.5 points per game through six games. Ignore the Alabama game and the number decreases to 19.4 ppg.

Those are some excellent numbers!
    Bob Green

That win yesterday was great but also reinforced what a crappy loss that was to Pitt. We’d control our own destiny in the Coastal.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Tweet from Adam Rowe:
    The offense is averaging 34.5 points per game through six games. Ignore the Alabama game and the number increases to 40.4 ppg.
    The defense is allowing 23.5 points per game through six games. Ignore the Alabama game and the number decreases to 19.4 ppg.
    Those are some excellent numbers!
    It's still a tiny bit early for this, but I like relative numbers are a better indication of offensive/defensive strength because it controls for playing a Larry Fedora or Big 10 team 12 times. Using FBS games only, Duke is about +2 points on offense and -5 on defense. You want the first number to be positive and the second number to be negative. By the way, -5 is really good using this self-created statistic, but the AL game is propping it up a little.

Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    I haven't seen it noted elsewhere that it was reserve linebacker Xander Gagnon that blocked the punt that was returned for a TD. Glad o give the young man some recognition for making a big contribution to our win yesterday.
    I was ecstatic to watch the replay and note that he made that block. He doesn't get many snaps at LB but what a great contribution on special teams yesterday.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    What was up with Aaron Young our leading receiver? He had no catches and barely played.
    Young is up and down. Yesterday he was down.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    Why is attendance so bad? Pretty good football team playing a game they should win and the crowd is so bad. Hated to see the empty seats.

I live too far away but really do not understand why the attendance for football is so low.

Game was on TV in LA.

SoCal
    It was a stunning day in Wallace Wade. Cool seeing the old hoops players, seeing the 1989 ACC champion football team and Spurrier. I didn't realize till after the game that Daniel Jones was there, too, and on Twitter there's good footage of him in the Duke locker room post-game helping with the victory celebration. It is a shame that casual local fans do not come out -- they would have a great time if they did. Free parking, beautiful stadium, and good football by the local team.