Ginger Baker of Cream has died at 80

Well hell, there's the third (Money, Ocasek). Ginger Baker, legendary drummer, has passed.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news...2dl?li=BBnbfcL

R.I.P.

Edit: For your appreciation...

Last edited by dudog84; 10-06-2019 at 08:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    For your appreciation...

Cue that above video in to the 1:30 mark to just see a ridiculous drum solo... wow! Baker is somewhat credited with investing the rock drum solo.

Here is a great article from Rolling Stone on the most important tracks of Ginger Baker's amazing career.
    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...a-kuti-890696/
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

In his honor, I am listening to the catalogs of Cream and Blind Faith on Napster as I grade assignments. Also brings back memories of my youth.

I'm sure his name doesn't mean much to most on this board. One of the great ironies of his passing at a pretty ripe age of 80 was that throughout the seventies, rumors of his imminent death came one after another. It never seemed to let up...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I'm sure his name doesn't mean much to most on this board. One of the great ironies of his passing at a pretty ripe age of 80 was that throughout the seventies, rumors of his imminent death came one after another. It never seemed to let up...
    Exactly why I posted the clip, I thought the same thing. Are there any great, or even known, drummers out there today? Seems like all the acts now are a frontman/woman and a lot of dancing.

Damn. He was one of a dying breed of rock superstar. I wished him and Jack Bruce could have gotten along.

Another piece of my youth is gone. RIP Ginger Baker.
    Bob Green

Exactly why I posted the clip, I thought the same thing. Are there any great, or even known, drummers out there today? Seems like all the acts now are a frontman/woman and a lot of dancing.
    The youngest in Modern Drummer’s all-time top 50 was born in 1969.

https://www.moderndrummer.com/articl...drummers-time/.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    The youngest in Modern Drummer’s all-time top 50 was born in 1969.

https://www.moderndrummer.com/articl...drummers-time/.
    Thanks for the link, but in my completely unprofessional opinion, Ginger Baker is too low here (23) considering his influence. Maybe it's because he was a well-known enemy-maker.

Sorry, but any list of drummers that has Phil Collins ranked above Danny Carey is using some kind of alternative metric other than drumming.

Ginger Baker was amazing. He did some stellar work more recently for a band called Masters of Reality. He will be missed.

Thanks for the link, but in my completely unprofessional opinion, Ginger Baker is too low here (23) considering his influence. Maybe it's because he was a well-known enemy-maker.
    I also was surprised he wasn’t higher.

Questlove, for one.
    ~rthomas

Agreed! IMO, many rankings don't make sense. Moon at 8 followed by Ringo at 9. Those cats weren't that close.

Quick scan on my phone, but I did not see Levon Helm on the list. Surely I overlooked him, right?

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Sorry, but any list of drummers that has Phil Collins ranked above Danny Carey is using some kind of alternative metric other than drumming.

Ginger Baker was amazing. He did some stellar work more recently for a band called Masters of Reality. He will be missed.
    Wait, that was Ginger? I only know a couple songs (by way of Pandora) but the ones I remember were pretty slick.

I assume you're referring to newish bands? Neil Pert, Chad Smith, and Dave Grohl are still out there banging on stuff I think. Danny Carey although maybe he isn't all that known. I know there are some great drummers in the jam scene and I'm sure there are in the punk, funk, and jazz scenes (among others) but none of those are really in the public eye anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I assume you're referring to newish bands? Neil Pert, Chad Smith, and Dave Grohl are still out there banging on stuff I think. Danny Carey although maybe he isn't all that known. I know there are some great drummers in the jam scene and I'm sure there are in the punk, funk, and jazz scenes (among others) but none of those are really in the public eye anymore.
    Ha! Peart and Smith are older than me! And yeah, I'm not considered newish anymore. Grohl is pointed out as being the youngest in the list above.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Sadly, Peart retired a few years ago. He said that in 7 years (at the time) he would be 70 and that, at 70, he could still play a Charlie Watts drumline fine, but he wouldn't be able to play a Neil Peart drumline. He was starting to have a lot of pain and also has a younger kid from remarrying after his first wife passed away. The others are still drumming, though Grohl mostly sings and plays guitar now. Miles Davis's fusion jazz drummer and Dennis Chambers from Funkadelic played here in the last year or so.

I'd say 85-90% the drummers ranked above him belong. The jazz guys are/were far more influential, and except for Bonham all better players, in this drummer's opinion.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.