Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    Haven't looked forward to a regular season this much in a while.

Pelicans lost to the Raptors in OT and it was a fun game to watch overall. Wish E'twuan Moore played less but I assume it's because he had the most experience outside of Jrue. NAW is gonna be good but his light to shoot should not be that green already and he really hurt them. JJ and the 28 year old rookie from Italy are really gonna be relied on for shooting. Ingram looks great and baffling all at once, he takes waay to many tough contested shots.
    The more I watch basketball - the more it is clear that there are middle of the game players and players that can perform in crunch time. Ingram is a middle of the game player. He does not have whatever that is that allows him to hit shots when it counts- at least on a consistent basis. The hope is that Zion can be that guy- but he will have to hit free throws. Holliday may be that guy- maybe even JJ but I just am not sold on end of the game Ingram. Yesterday they did not get the ball in the right folks hands when it counted.

2. Well the rotation was also puzzling. Redick and Lonzo should have been back in the game earlier when the Raptors made their run. Okafor was being targeted on defense and they lost points because of it...they should've brought in Nelli for small ball instead.

The way the Raptors were playing, Gasol was out on the perimeter so Siakam could drive in and attack. You didn't need Okafor to defend Gasol in the paint.

What do I know, but the game could've been coached better IMO.

Is LeBron ok? I mean, mentally. He seems kind of unhinged with his recent behavior. The web was smoking today after his display during the anthem last night.

I don't like or dislike the man but he's brought some intense stress into his life lately.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    In 1986 there were exactly two former Duke players in the NBA, Mike Gminski and Gene Banks. Two.

Came a LONG way since then!

On a side note, Hawks are 3-1 to make playoffs, I'm thinking Cam fits in perfect with their team, Trae, Cam, Kevin Huerter, I might have to bet!

Should we change the title of this thread to indicate that it's for Non Duke in the NBA talk so that the Duke in the NBA talk is focused in one thread? I realize it's hard with Duke basically all over the NBA ;^)

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Should we change the title of this thread to indicate that it's for Non Duke in the NBA talk so that the Duke in the NBA talk is focused in one thread? I realize it's hard with Duke basically all over the NBA ;^)
    A merged single thread might make sense. I get why the separation existed before, but it might be a relic now. As you mentioned, it's tough to talk about the NBA without discussing Duke players :-)

Quote Originally Posted by bparsh View Post
    Came a LONG way since then!

On a side note, Hawks are 3-1 to make playoffs, I'm thinking Cam fits in perfect with their team, Trae, Cam, Kevin Huerter, I might have to bet!
    I was in Atlantic City over the summer and made a wager on the Hawks to win more than 32.5 games this season. I feel quite confident about that bet and wish I had put more than $100 on it.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    A merged single thread might make sense. I get why the separation existed before, but it might be a relic now. As you mentioned, it's tough to talk about the NBA without discussing Duke players :-)
    For the moment I still think it makes sense to have separate threads. I think folks should realize that a post that is materially about a Dukie should go in the other thread while a post that is talking about the NBA in general terms belongs here even if said post mentions a former Duke player in some way. For example, the post made earlier about confidence in the Hawks which tangentially mentioned Cam as a good fit on that team probably belongs in this thread as it is more about the Hawks than being about a Dukie rookie who happens to be coming off the bench for the Hawks.

The reality is that there is no hard and fast rule for which goes in which thread, but some people like to exclusively track Duke players and not read about the general goings on in the league, so it makes sense to keep some of it separate. Hope that makes sense to people.

-Jason "I believe there are still more Kentucky than Duke players in the NBA this season... I have not counted though" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    -Jason "I believe there are still more Kentucky than Duke players in the NBA this season... I have not counted though" Evans
    Kentucky has 28 and Duke has 23.

Duval, Miles, Lance, Bolden could all realistically raise that number to 27 this season.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    The more I watch basketball - the more it is clear that there are middle of the game players and players that can perform in crunch time. Ingram is a middle of the game player. He does not have whatever that is that allows him to hit shots when it counts- at least on a consistent basis. The hope is that Zion can be that guy- but he will have to hit free throws. Holliday may be that guy- maybe even JJ but I just am not sold on end of the game Ingram. Yesterday they did not get the ball in the right folks hands when it counted.
    Ingram is that kind of player that makes you say: "If he's your third best player, you have a really good team." Luol Deng was that kind of player, and he was a 2-time All-Star. Nothing wrong with that.

What will help him immensely is to continue to develop his 3-point shot. He is a career 33% 3-point shooter in the NBA on a relatively low 2 shot attempts per game. If he can raise that up to the high 30's or low 40's, his length and slashing game is going to really take off. Right now, defenders can sit on his pump fakes. He is not an explosive athlete but relies on his insane length to get past people. If a defender has to start honoring that shot, he could reach a whole other level on offense.

The other thing to keep in mind about Ingram is that he is just so damn young. He just turned 22 in early September. Put another way, he's 18 months younger than Cam Johnson.

Justise Winslow had a really impressive game in the Heat season opener against Tyus, Grayson, and the Memphis Grizzlies. Winslow recorded a "LeBron," scoring 27 points to go along with 7 rebounds and 7 assists. He added a steal and a block for good measure.

Jimmy Butler sat out the game due to personal reasons. The Heat won anyway. Winslow and Butler are going to be a heck of a backcourt duo this year. This could be a breakout season for Winslow now that he has established himself as the starting point guard for the Heat. How crazy is that? He was the PF for the 2015 Duke team but is now an NBA PG.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Justise Winslow had a really impressive game in the Heat season opener against Tyus, Grayson, and the Memphis Grizzlies. Winslow recorded a "LeBron," scoring 27 points to go along with 7 rebounds and 7 assists. He added a steal and a block for good measure.

Jimmy Butler sat out the game due to personal reasons. The Heat won anyway. Winslow and Butler are going to be a heck of a backcourt duo this year. This could be a breakout season for Winslow now that he has established himself as the starting point guard for the Heat. How crazy is that? He was the PF for the 2015 Duke team but is now an NBA PG.
    If this is true — Winslow is slated to be the Heat’s starting PG — that is a stunning development. I had no idea Winslow’s handle or passing ability were even close to being on the level needed to be an effective starting PG in the NBA. This is truly quite amazing. I’m very happy for Justise.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I was in Atlantic City over the summer and made a wager on the Hawks to win more than 32.5 games this season. I feel quite confident about that bet and wish I had put more than $100 on it.
    I'd have felt better (bettor?) if the number had been 32.1.

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    Kentucky has 28 and Duke has 23.

Duval, Miles, Lance, Bolden could all realistically raise that number to 27 this season.
    And if Amile Jefferson makes it into some games this year would it go to 28? I think i recall that he was again on a 2-way deal, could be an erroneous memory tho...

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    If this is true — Winslow is slated to be the Heat’s starting PG — that is a stunning development. I had no idea Winslow’s handle or passing ability were even close to being on the level needed to be an effective starting PG in the NBA. This is truly quite amazing. I’m very happy for Justise.
    Winslow made a big leap last year that coincided with his move to more of a PG role. It's not anything new for him at this point and Heat Twitter has been clamoring for him to start in that role for some time.

Him and Dragic are a solid PG combo and also versatile enough that they seem very capable of playing together.

The Heat have always done a great job of discovering and developing talent, but what they seem to have done this year has exceeded even their standard. I think they're going to surprise a lot of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Mabdul Doobakus View Post
    Winslow made a big leap last year that coincided with his move to more of a PG role. It's not anything new for him at this point and Heat Twitter has been clamoring for him to start in that role for some time.

Him and Dragic are a solid PG combo and also versatile enough that they seem very capable of playing together.

The Heat have always done a great job of discovering and developing talent, but what they seem to have done this year has exceeded even their standard. I think they're going to surprise a lot of people.
    I appreciate this informative, "in the trenches" post from an apparent Heat fan.

Do you mean that Dragic and Justise are a point guard combo in the sense that they will be on the court together, or that Dragic will be in the second unit, or both?
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    I appreciate this informative, "in the trenches" post from an apparent Heat fan.

Do you mean that Dragic and Justise are a point guard combo in the sense that they will be on the court together, or that Dragic will be in the second unit, or both?
    Dragic is getting fewer minutes in an attempt to avoid injury. Winslow has been playing at guard/point for a couple years

Quote Originally Posted by Mabdul Doobakus View Post

Well, yeah, I knew he played a bit at PG last season, but I thought it was just an experiment. I didn’t know he was actually chosen as the starting PG going forward. Or was he? I’m still not sure what the official word is on this.

Well, yeah, I knew he played a bit at PG last season, but I thought it was just an experiment. I didn’t know he was actually chosen as the starting PG going forward. Or was he? I’m still not sure what the official word is on this.
    Just check the box score, news articles, or youtube highlights. Dragic came off the bench as Justise started at the point and led the team in assists. They will play together a lot, too, though.

I have Justice on my fantasy team and if he gets 5 starts at PG then I think ESPN will allow him to be listed at that position. That would be very helpful for me as Patrick Beverly and Trae Young are my only PGs right now.