Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast
    No Pelicans game tonight.

Interesting dilemma; Jazz team will be quarantined for 14 days. You’d have to cancel every game they were supposed to play. No other choice put to suspend. Same scenario with NCAA. If one kid is sick, you have to cancel the games because people will get quarantined.

Watching end of Knicks-Hawks was really weird knowing it was going to be the last night for who knows how long. The Hawks even brought out Vince Carter late for a curtain call seemingly just in case it ends up being his last game.

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    Interesting dilemma; Jazz team will be quarantined for 14 days. You’d have to cancel every game they were supposed to play. No other choice put to suspend. Same scenario with NCAA. If one kid is sick, you have to cancel the games because people will get quarantined.
    And buried in the story, Goubert's symptoms got better during the day, before they tested him.

Gobert played 33 minutes on the 6th in Boston, 35 minutes in Detroit on the 7th and 32 minutes at home vs. Toronto on the 9th. He played in Madison Square Garden against the Knicks on the 4th but that game was likely played before Gobert was exposed to COVID-19 (The median incubation period is estimated to be 5.1 days (95% CI, 4.5 to 5.8 days) ). Since facing Utah, Boston has played twice; at home vs. OKC and on the road against the Pacers. Detroit has played two games, one at Madison Square Garden and one in Philly. Toronto has not played a game since facing Utah. OKC and Indiana have not played since facing Boston, however, since facing Detroit, philly has not played but the Knicks have played twice, @ Washington and @ Atlanta. Since facing the Knicks, Washington has not played and neither has Atlanta. If you track the refs who officiated each one of these matchups, I am sure that the number of players who could have been exposed to the virus grows quite a bit. I definitely understand the league's decision.
    Last edited by subzero02; 03-12-2020 at 02:25 AM.

Here’s a clip of Rudy Gobert I guess trying to be funny by touching all of the equipment at the Jazz press conference from Monday.

What an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    And buried in the story, Goubert's symptoms got better during the day, before they tested him.
    But him "getting better during the day" isn't even remotely the point. It's all the people who exposed unintentionally (or even ironically) - certainly unnecessarily.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    If he knew he was already sick and did that, he should be fired and banned from the league.
    Harsh. There's no way he knew he had it. C'mon now.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I can't imagine that dozens of NBA players don't have it. Gobert has been rubbing his sweaty body on players every game. And everyone he infected then rubbed their sweaty body on dozens of other players.

Test the whole league right now and I bet there are no less than 40 dudes with it.

-Jason "I'd be shocked if the NCAA tournament happens at this point" Evans
    While I agree that other NBA players likely have it, let's note that sweat is not the method of transmission.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Here’s a clip of Rudy Gobert I guess trying to be funny by touching all of the equipment at the Jazz press conference from Monday.

What an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    But him "getting better during the day" isn't even remotely the point. It's all the people who exposed unintentionally (or even ironically) - certainly unnecessarily.
    So, in the video, the mics and recorders were all laid out next to him on the table during the press conference. Frankly, he might've already contaminated them just by breathing on them during the presser (and having just played basketball, it's possible his breathing was heavier than usual). And if he had been in the habit of gentlemanly handing the recorders back to the reporters once the presser was done, he would've accomplished the same thing as his "prank" did.

Honestly, I can't get on a guy for touching things. I've touched things all week. Let those who do not touch things throw the first stone.

Also, consider two other possibilities:
    (1) That Gobert washed his hands before coming out for the presser, thus his comfort with playing this "prank". And
    (2) That actually, one of the reporters had Covid-19, and Rudy screwed himself by touching a contaminated recorder. Remember, 5.1 days is only the median incubation period.

I know many will not agree, but I don't feel a pile on of Rudy is appropriate, given all the above. The guy's sick. Let's just pray for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Harsh. There's no way he knew he had it. C'mon now.

While I agree that other NBA players likely have it, let's note that sweat is not the method of transmission.

So, in the video, the mics and recorders were all laid out next to him on the table during the press conference. Frankly, he might've already contaminated them just by breathing on them during the presser (and having just played basketball, it's possible his breathing was heavier than usual). And if he had been in the habit of gentlemanly handing the recorders back to the reporters once the presser was done, he would've accomplished the same thing as his "prank" did.

Honestly, I can't get on a guy for touching things. I've touched things all week. Let those who do not touch things throw the first stone.

Also, consider two other possibilities:
    (1) That Gobert washed his hands before coming out for the presser, thus his comfort with playing this "prank". And
    (2) That actually, one of the reporters had Covid-19, and Rudy screwed himself by touching a contaminated recorder. Remember, 5.1 days is only the median incubation period.

I know many will not agree, but I don't feel a pile on of Rudy is appropriate, given all the above. The guy's sick. Let's just pray for him.
    I didn't mean to suggest otherwise. I am just saying that he clearly exposed other people to the virus, regardless of his intent.

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    With apologies to the Knicks fans on the boards, I bring (well, more accurately, the Ringer brings) you, LesKnicks:

This is absolutely brilliant and highly entertaining. She's got a great voice for a comedian.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    This is absolutely brilliant and highly entertaining. She's got a great voice for a comedian.
    For a comedian? You are clearly unfamiliar with the vocal stylings of Bobcat Goldthwait.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    For a one time Knicks fan- that was heartbreaking. Brava!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I didn't mean to suggest otherwise. I am just saying that he clearly exposed other people to the virus, regardless of his intent.
    Again, I'm not sure that he did, though. If Gobert's hands were washed before the presser, and players very often shower after playing and before meeting the press, then it's possible his hands did not contaminate those recorders. There are MDs on this board, so chime in if I'm wrong about this. The problem with that presser (within the context of a pandemic) and pressers in general is the common setup of reporters putting recorders near the mic. That's what the NBA and other sports need to change if they return to playing games and meeting press during this pandemic. Gobert very well might've contaminated those recorders but it would've been through his breathing on them during the presser.

Last night I chimed in on Gobert being a dope.

Now I feel sorry for the poor dope.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Last night I chimed in on Gobert being a dope.

Now I feel sorry for the poor dope.
    He’s going to be a very unpopular man among his peers. I mean, it could have happened to any of them but his touching and licking antics remind me of what my mom would tell me when I got what I deserved, “God will git ya!”

Yes, git.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    He’s going to be a very unpopular man among his peers. I mean, it could have happened to any of them but his touching and licking antics remind me of what my mom would tell me when I got what I deserved, “God will git ya!”

Yes, git.
    Do NBA players still get paid? I assume they must. Now, they're likely collectively losing money in endorsements, but salaries must be paid, no?
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

The clip of Mark Cuban finding out the season is suspended is amazing!

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Do NBA players still get paid? I assume they must. Now, they're likely collectively losing money in endorsements, but salaries must be paid, no?
    This could have a severe impact on the salary cap for next year. The Cap is determined by taking all the league revenues from the previous season and then giving the players a percentage of that amount. If the league makes 10% less, the cap will be 10% lower. Free agent space is gonna be really, really limited this off-season.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

This could have a severe impact on the salary cap for next year. The Cap is determined by taking all the league revenues from the previous season and then giving the players a percentage of that amount. If the league makes 10% less, the cap will be 10% lower. Free agent space is gonna be really, really limited this off-season.
    Welp, safe to say China has had a MASSIVE impact to NBA salaries for the future (Morey tweet, coronavirus).
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Not if they get paid in game checks like the NFL (per my understanding, could be mistaken).

10% is probably optimistic. I put the odds that they end up outright cancelling the season somewhere north of 50%.

Someone more interested/informed than me would have to dive into a) the TV/media contracts to see if the broadcasters who paid up get their money back for the lost ~1/4 of the season + playoffs, and b) the CBA to see if there is any allowance for modifying the cap determination in extreme circumstances where revenue is unexpectedly low.