Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    Wow just reported that Justise Winslow is going to Memphis as part of the trade that sent Andre Iguodala to Miami.

If Memphis trades for Jah, they will have the entire Duke 2015 recruiting class that led us to the title
    I'm a sad Heat fan. Been hearing rumors about dissatisfaction from the front office regarding Winslow's injury situation this year. He had been really rounding into form at the end of last year but it just seemed like he could never get on the court. There's probably more to the trade but we just traded him for a 36 year old who hasn't played in almost a year. That's a lot of potential to give up. But in truth I'm not sure if Winslow really fit into Miami's plans beyond next year. I'm sure they know what they're doing.

Another trade! Atlanta is trading Jabari Parker and Alex Len to Sacramento for Dewayne Dedmon. Sacto becomes the newest team with a trio of Blue Devils, including Marvin Bagley III and Harry Giles II.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Another trade! Atlanta is trading Jabari Parker and Alex Len to Sacramento for Dewayne Dedmon. Sacto becomes the newest team with a trio of Blue Devils, including Marvin Bagley III and Harry Giles II.
    Sacramento apparently doesn’t like healthy players but that is a lot of potential talent

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    There has been a pretty big division among those who have even gone so far as to argue that he's a top 10 player in the world to those who agree with his peers who voted him the most overrated player in the NBA. I've been in the latter camp and maintained that, while he was a very good fit role player when surrounded by other-worldly talent, any team on which he was Batman or Robin would be headed for the Lottery.

In 38 games so far this year, he's averaging 8.5 ppg, shooting 39% from the field, 28% from 3, 6.4 rpg, and 6.2 apg. He's a bottom tier scorer in the league and was a low percentage shooter even when he could shoot nothing but wide open or close shots because he was playing with Steph, Klay, and Durant. He's a mediocre rebounder. He's a very good passer, but his prior assist numbers were inflated by his teammates. He's an excellent defensive player, but I still think he's overrated on that end. His team has the worst record in the NBA. He's sort of a better passing, worse shooting, much more annoying version of Battier, which isn't a bad thing, but I don't think he ever would have been an All Star if he hadn't been on Golden State.
    Those stats are all well and good, but I’ve seen Draymond Geeen be a dominant winning force in playoff game after playoff game against very worthy opponents. There are not many players you can say that about.

And I find it less than compelling to contemplate what a relatively small percentage of players supposedly answered on an unscientific “survey”. I would caution you against putting any stock in that whatsoever.

There has been a pretty big division among those who have even gone so far as to argue that he's a top 10 player in the world to those who agree with his peers who voted him the most overrated player in the NBA. I've been in the latter camp and maintained that, while he was a very good fit role player when surrounded by other-worldly talent, any team on which he was Batman or Robin would be headed for the Lottery.

In 38 games so far this year, he's averaging 8.5 ppg, shooting 39% from the field, 28% from 3, 6.4 rpg, and 6.2 apg. He's a bottom tier scorer in the league and was a low percentage shooter even when he could shoot nothing but wide open or close shots because he was playing with Steph, Klay, and Durant. He's a mediocre rebounder. He's a very good passer, but his prior assist numbers were inflated by his teammates. He's an excellent defensive player, but I still think he's overrated on that end. His team has the worst record in the NBA. He's sort of a better passing, worse shooting, much more annoying version of Battier, which isn't a bad thing, but I don't think he ever would have been an All Star if he hadn't been on Golden State.
    That famous Draymond thousand-yard stare that he does when he just stops processing the world around him? He's doing a lot more of that lately.

And I love every second of it. Durant knew Green was a dummy and it's understandable why he resisted 'taking advice' from a guy like that. It's a farce and Durant knew it.

Quote Originally Posted by duke4ever19 View Post
    That famous Draymond thousand-yard stare that he does when he just stops processing the world around him? He's doing a lot more of that lately.

And I love every second of it. Durant knew Green was a dummy and it's understandable why he resisted 'taking advice' from a guy like that. It's a farce and Durant knew it.
    I agree that Green has been a “dummy” at times. At least he’s certainly done some dumb things on and off the court. But Kevin Durant is no genius himself, considering his embarrassing fake social media accounts. And he’s probably the most whiny and overly-sensitive player in the entire NBA. I wouldn’t hold him up as some kind of guiding light.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Those stats are all well and good, but I’ve seen Draymond Geeen be a dominant winning force in playoff game after playoff game against very worthy opponents. There are not many players you can say that about.

And I find it less than compelling to contemplate what a relatively small percentage of players supposedly answered on an unscientific “survey”. I would caution you against putting any stock in that whatsoever.
    For his career in the postseason, he’s shouting 44% from the field and 31% from 3, taking almost exclusively what should be very high percentage shots because defenses have focused on 3 of the best scorers in the world, who also happen to be very good passers. His rebounding has stepped up in the postseason. Still, he’s been a role player, not a Batman, Robin, or even a Hong Kong Fuey.

For his career in the postseason, he’s shouting 44% from the field and 31% from 3, taking almost exclusively what should be very high percentage shots because defenses have focused on 3 of the best scorers in the world, who also happen to be very good passers. His rebounding has stepped up in the postseason. Still, he’s been a role player, not a Batman, Robin, or even a Hong Kong Fuey.
    In fairness, he doesn’t have a Phooeymobile, a sidekick feline named Spot or a Hong Kong book of Kong Fu to guide him. I’m not sure if he can even scat.

NBA trading deadline is 3pm ET today.

Let's see what shakes out.

Clips and Lakers losing Iguodala to Miami is a blow to them.

Watch out for Marcus Morris to get traded to one of the L.A. teams.

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    Cam has been ballin finally. Jabari has a rotator cuff injury. Not sure when he returns.
    https://www.espn.com/nba/recap?gameId=401161345
    I wouldn't say he's balling but he has been much better. It's frustrating listening to basketball podcasts where they talk about him being a bust already. He still young and his problem has really only ever been strength and decision making. His 3 point shot has gotten much better (over 40% in January) and he has gotten better across the board every month.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Wow just reported that Justise Winslow is going to Memphis as part of the trade that sent Andre Iguodala to Miami. ...
    The conventional thinking in the NBA is that whoever gets the best player in a trade wins the trade. So Memphis wins?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    ... Kevin Durant is ... probably the most whiny and overly-sensitive player in the entire NBA. ...
    Wow. I'm not saying you're wrong, but this took an awful lot of processing.

It is kind of like choosing which music star most abused drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    The conventional thinking in the NBA is that whoever gets the best player in a trade wins the trade. So Memphis wins?

Wow. I'm not saying you're wrong, but this took an awful lot of processing.

It is kind of like choosing which music star most abused drugs.
    Ozzy. He's the guy all the other stars talked about in their Behind the Music specials. I remember one story about him snorting ants. And then there was the time he tried to strangle his wife. And then there was the time ...

Ozzy. He's the guy all the other stars talked about in their Behind the Music specials. I remember one story about him snorting ants. And then there was the time he tried to strangle his wife. And then there was the time ...
    Did he think the bat was his wife?

Wow just reported that Justise Winslow is going to Memphis as part of the trade that sent Andre Iguodala to Miami.
    I'm bummed about this because I think Justise had great value as a PG in Miami. With Ja and Tyus, there's no way he's playing PG in Memphis.

If Justise ever gets healthy, I would imagine he will press Jae Crowder for time at the SF.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I'm bummed about this because I think Justise had great value as a PG in Miami. With Ja and Tyus, there's no way he's playing PG in Memphis.

If Justise ever gets healthy, I would imagine he will press Jae Crowder for time at the SF.
    I think it is assumed that Jae Crowder and Solomon Hill will be leaving Memphis when the Iguodala deal gets finalized to make the $$$ work. They were held out of the Grizzlies game last night. So I don't think Justise will have to compete with Jae.

Justise seems to be the lynchpin of the trade from Memphis POV. I assume that means they have plans to utilize him. Although it is not likely in a true PG role.

Scuttlebutt around the Twitter is that Justise is a great get for Memphis IF he can stay healthy. That has been a big IF recently.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    In Miami, playmaking goes through Jimmy and Bam (in a high post role), though. And Dragic off the bench.

I'm happy for Justise. There are a handful of teams that have their poop together, and he's lucky that he was able to go from one of them in Miami to another one of them in Memphis. A lot of smart people love what the Grizzlies are building, and hopefully Justise can become part of that young core for years to come. I'm glad Memphis thought highly enough of Justise to make him the centerpiece of the much-anticipated Iguodala trade.

… Scuttlebutt around the Twitter is that Justise is a great get for Memphis IF he can stay healthy. That has been a big IF recently.

Remember when we thought Justise had an outrageously mature, NBA body for a college kid. That seems like Zions ago ...

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    I'm happy for Justise. There are a handful of teams that have their poop together, and he's lucky that he was able to go from one of them in Miami to another one of them in Memphis. A lot of smart people love what the Grizzlies are building, and hopefully Justise can become part of that young core for years to come. I'm glad Memphis thought highly enough of Justise to make him the centerpiece of the much-anticipated Iguodala trade.
    This is as good a time as any to point out that the Grizzlies young GM is a 2013 Duke law grad.

He doesn't get mentioned as often in the ranks of the Duke-NBA tree since he's not a former coach or player, but love seeing a Duke grad succeed (and to do it by adding Duke players!).

But yeah, generally Memphis's rebuild this year has been spectacular. As pointed out by Kevin O'Connor:

The Memphis Grizzlies in the past year:

-Drafted Ja Morant
    -Traded up for Brandon Clarke
    -Dealt Mike Conley for Jae Crowder and a future first
    -Acquired De'Anthony Melton to take Josh Jackson
    -Got a first to take Andre Iguodala
    -Flipped Iguodala for Justise Winslow

What a year.
    Another way to look at it--Kleiman's first big move was trading veteran mainstay Mike Conley, and here's how that has turned out:

So, in total for Mike Conley, the Grizzlies have received:

Brandon Clarke
    De'Anthony Melton
    Josh Jackson
    Jae Crowder
    Grayson Allen
    Justise Winslow
    likely 2022 Utah 1st
    likely 2024 Golden State 1st
    2 Phoenix 2nds
    Love the moves Memphis has made.

The Knicks are bringing in Leon Rose and Worldwide Wes to run the front office. It's kind of like the Lakers Rob Pelinka move except the Rose/Wes combo have a lot more juice. Agents are taking over the NBA the way they took over Hollywood in the 80s. I think this all but assures that the Knicks will get Lebron on his final contract when he is 50.

Should be an interesting ride...I am ready for anything at this point.

Whoa... big trade.

Golden State has agreed to trade D'Angelo Russell to Minnesota for a deal that includes Andrew Wiggins, a 2021 protected first-round pick and a 2022 second-round pick, league sources tell ESPN. Warriors will send Jacob Evans and Omari Spellman to Timberwolves too.
    -Jason "I guess Wiggins is a better fit with Curry and a healthy Klay... I guess?!?!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?