Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
Results 201 to 220 of 234
  1. #201
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Winston Salem, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    The NBA should not do a thing about it after the game has ended. Missed/questionable/bad calls happen multiple times in EVERY basketball game. Who’s to say that any single missed/questionable/bad call is any more or less important than any other? Just typical Houston Rockets stuff — trying to get special treatment.

    That team has my two most-disliked players (Harden and Westbrook), quite possibly my least-liked front office, and one of my least-respected coaches (all the guy cares about is offense, as if defense is irrelevant). This missed call couldn’t have happened to a better group of guys.
    I can only imagine how you feel about the cheats down the road.
    GoDuke!

  2. #202
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I can only imagine how you feel about the cheats down the road.
    GoDuke!
    Haha, yeah. My loathing of the Rockets is child’s play compared to how I feel about UNC basketball, particularly their most venomous Duke and Coach K-hating “fans”.

    I used to respect UNC basketball and their fans before moving to Durham in 2000. But I soon realized — through countless example after example — how truly vicious and mean-spirited MANY of their fans are towards Duke and Coach K. I was shocked. I honestly had no idea how bad it really is.

    Consequently, very few things in life provide as much pure joy as Duke beating UNC in basketball. Counting the days until February 8.

  3. #203
    If you want to watch something truly absurd, check out the end of the TWolves-OKC game last night. It was somehow the most TWolves way to lose and the most Chris Paul way for OKC to win at the same time. I'll set the stage. Wolves are up 2, 1.1 seconds left. Karl-Anthony Towns gets the ball and is fouled. He misses the first. And then things get CRAZY.

    Here's the first video. The Wolves try to get defensive subs in the game, including Jordan Bell, whose jersey is apparently at least partly untucked. The Wolves have already gotten a delay of game warning this game (not that I'm bitter, but it was Steven Adams complaining that got that one called, as well, when KAT was unwrapping a knee icepack...). So Chris Paul freaks out at Scott Foster (relatedly, he's gotta be one of the two or three most disliked refs in the league). You can see him pointing at the beginning of that video, yelling "jersey untucked!" over and over. And Foster CALLS THE DELAY OF GAME. With 1.1 seconds left and nobody even close to ready for the free throw! This is technically the rule: you can't enter the court without your jersey being ready to go. But in the circumstances, man, that's a wild call. Because it's the second delay of game, it's a technical. OKC hits the free throw, and are down 1 with KAT at the line for one more.

    You can hear the (truly excellent) Minny broadcasting team of Jim Peterson and Dave Benz saying at the end of that video that KAT should miss the second. I don't have video of this one to hand, but he tries to do just that. And fails. The ball rolls around and goes through. OKC gets the ball out of bounds down two, still with 1.1 seconds left.

    And then this happens. Steven Adams launches it down court for Schroeder running a fly pattern, Jeff Teague Jeff Teagues it all up (why was he in the game?! That needs to be Treveon Graham guarding, there. Ryan Saunders has been good overall this year, but that's a major mistake), and the game is going to overtime.

    The shellshocked Wolves are a mess and get blown out in OT. What a way to lose. I've never seen anything like it. Chris Paul exploiting a completely meaningless rule during a deadball situation to scheme his team to a W is the most Chris Paul thing ever. And of course the Wolves lose a game like this. Of course. We're going to miss the playoffs by one game this year. I can just feel it.

  4. #204
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOldBattleship View Post
    If you want to watch something truly absurd, check out the end of the TWolves-OKC game last night. It was somehow the most TWolves way to lose and the most Chris Paul way for OKC to win at the same time. I'll set the stage. Wolves are up 2, 1.1 seconds left. Karl-Anthony Towns gets the ball and is fouled. He misses the first. And then things get CRAZY.

    Here's the first video. The Wolves try to get defensive subs in the game, including Jordan Bell, whose jersey is apparently at least partly untucked. The Wolves have already gotten a delay of game warning this game (not that I'm bitter, but it was Steven Adams complaining that got that one called, as well, when KAT was unwrapping a knee icepack...). So Chris Paul freaks out at Scott Foster (relatedly, he's gotta be one of the two or three most disliked refs in the league). You can see him pointing at the beginning of that video, yelling "jersey untucked!" over and over. And Foster CALLS THE DELAY OF GAME. With 1.1 seconds left and nobody even close to ready for the free throw! This is technically the rule: you can't enter the court without your jersey being ready to go. But in the circumstances, man, that's a wild call. Because it's the second delay of game, it's a technical. OKC hits the free throw, and are down 1 with KAT at the line for one more.

    You can hear the (truly excellent) Minny broadcasting team of Jim Peterson and Dave Benz saying at the end of that video that KAT should miss the second. I don't have video of this one to hand, but he tries to do just that. And fails. The ball rolls around and goes through. OKC gets the ball out of bounds down two, still with 1.1 seconds left.

    And then this happens. Steven Adams launches it down court for Schroeder running a fly pattern, Jeff Teague Jeff Teagues it all up (why was he in the game?! That needs to be Treveon Graham guarding, there. Ryan Saunders has been good overall this year, but that's a major mistake), and the game is going to overtime.

    The shellshocked Wolves are a mess and get blown out in OT. What a way to lose. I've never seen anything like it. Chris Paul exploiting a completely meaningless rule during a deadball situation to scheme his team to a W is the most Chris Paul thing ever. And of course the Wolves lose a game like this. Of course. We're going to miss the playoffs by one game this year. I can just feel it.
    Ridiculousness. It's fascinating to me how Chris Paul can be both an all-time great talent--whose greatest gift is reading the court and understanding the flow of the game--and also an incredibly petulant jerk.

    As a follow up, OKC got called for two delay of games (including the technical foul) the next night against Portland. Paul could be hear yelling that the refs were 'trying to prove a point" and yelled at the ref "you're gonna be on Sportscenter tonight, good job!" Paul said after the game that the calls were probably targeted at him to "get me back," and he's probably not wrong.

  5. #205
    I've made it my morning routine to watch Mavs highlights if they played the night before. Doncic is something else. Seth with a big game yesterday too.

  6. #206
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by robed deity View Post
    I've made it my morning routine to watch Mavs highlights if they played the night before. Doncic is something else. Seth with a big game yesterday too.
    Now, that dude, Doncic, is what I call transcendent. Destined for true greatness.

    I love seeing Seth doing well. I check out Mavericks games whenever possible. They’re quickly becoming my second-favorite team (behind Boston).

    Oh, and “Go Heat!” vs. the Lakers right now!

  7. #207
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Orleans, Louisiana

  8. #208
    Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    That was unexpected. I’m not musical so someone will have to tell me if he’s doing it right. Fun stuff though.

  9. #209
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    That was unexpected. I’m not musical so someone will have to tell me if he’s doing it right. Fun stuff though.
    I'm not musical but I have seen enough concerts to tell you he is just bouncing his hands around, not actually conducting (at least that is how it appears).

    -Jason "Tacko is going to be a hero wherever he goes... fans love him and he has a great personality. I bet he has a long career, even if he rarely gets on the floor" Evans
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  10. #210
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Deeetroit City
    Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    The violinist in the third row couldn't see his hands …


    jk

  11. #211
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    How about him actually playing, you know, basketball

    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  12. #212
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Deeetroit City
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    How about him actually playing, you know, basketball

    A kid sitting courtside, three seats from the scorers table, wearing a Duke sweatshirt. Legacy?

  13. #213
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    A kid sitting courtside, three seats from the scorers table, wearing a Duke sweatshirt. Legacy?
    Probably someone in the Pagliuca family. Steve is one of the owners of the Celtics, went to Duke, and is on the Duke board right now (I think). His sons, Joe and Nick, were both walk-ons on the Duke basketball team. If you are a Pagliuca, you root pretty hard for Duke I think.
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  14. #214
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NC
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I'm not musical but I have seen enough concerts to tell you he is just bouncing his hands around, not actually conducting (at least that is how it appears).

    -Jason "Tacko is going to be a hero wherever he goes... fans love him and he has a great personality. I bet he has a long career, even if he rarely gets on the floor" Evans
    Replacing Scalabrine as the Celtics’ new human victory cigar.

  15. #215
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Tacko's flatfooted put back over DeLaurier's back in the tournament game was like nothing I've ever seen before. Made Javin look like he was 5-10.

  16. #216
    Not paying very close attention. Is there any chance Zion debuts tomorrow?

  17. #217
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Not paying very close attention. Is there any chance Zion debuts tomorrow?
    No there is not.

  18. #218
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    No there is not.
    He has begun practicing with the team and took part in a shootaround yesterday, but it seems like he is still a couple weeks away. Some folks say the Pels should sit him all year because they should be in tank mode. As someone who spent a valuable NBA fantasy pick on him, I hope they don't
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  19. #219
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    He has begun practicing with the team and took part in a shootaround yesterday, but it seems like he is still a couple weeks away. Some folks say the Pels should sit him all year because they should be in tank mode. As someone who spent a valuable NBA fantasy pick on him, I hope they don't
    True. But I don’t see them playing him more than sparingly.

  20. #220
    Quote Originally Posted by AZLA View Post
    True. But I don’t see them playing him more than sparingly.
    The recovery process has taken longer than originally projected. Part of me wonders if the Pelicans are (smartly, mind you) proceeding with an abundance of caution and not worried about getting Zion on the floor with the team not likely to make the play-offs. Whatever is best for Zion's long-term success and health is of course the right play but I miss seeing that guy playing ball!

Similar Threads

  1. MBB: Emotions about the upcoming (2019-2020) season
    By slower in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 135
    Last Post: 08-23-2019, 02:28 PM
  2. MBB: 2019-2020 Rotation / Minutes Discussion Collector Thread
    By Troublemaker in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 79
    Last Post: 06-15-2019, 04:22 PM
  3. ACC Football 2019-2020
    By sagegrouse in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-04-2019, 10:22 PM
  4. NBA Regular season thread 2019
    By JasonEvans in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 418
    Last Post: 03-12-2019, 09:07 PM
  5. ACC Regular Season Title Thread
    By uh_no in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-18-2016, 12:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •