Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    I still find Harden fun to watch just because what he does is so unique. He's a virtuoso in a way that few athletes in any sport are. But I still don't really like what his game represents. His brand of basketball is an affront to what many consider the pure elements of the sport--the motion and ball movement, teamwork, cohesion. He's basically found a few loopholes in the rules of the game and is willing to exploit those loopholes all the way to wherever that leads him. I hope it does not lead him to a championship.

Meanwhile, an interesting stat. The top 5 teams in the East are 43-2 at home. Those two losses are both to my Miami Heat, after tonight's win at Toronto. They had previously beaten Milwaukee on the road early in the season. Without Jimmy Butler, no less. They also decimated the Rockets at home in the one game I went to this year. That game was basically over in 6 minutes, and the Heat had the 3rd biggest lead after one quarter in NBA history. A lot of people are writing off the Heat's start as a product of their schedule, but I don't understand where that's coming from. Every good team in this league is getting fat on beating the many bad teams in the league. The Heat have beat more than their share of contenders and have zero bad losses so far. And in closing time they can roll out a defensive lineup that includes two defensive player of the year candidates in Jimmy Butler and Bam Adebayo, plus another elite defensive player in Justise Winslow. I have to think that will play well come playoff time.

Any thoughts on what the NBA should do about the Harden dunk that did not get counted last night? The Rockets are protesting the game and think they should just be awarded a win or that the final few minutes should be re-played as if the dunk did count.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-rockets-spurs

-Jason "no way the NBA grants the Rockets a win... zero percent chance of that. I think the onus was on Houston to ask for a replay and when they did not, their window to ask for a change was closed" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Any thoughts on what the NBA should do about the Harden dunk that did not get counted last night? The Rockets are protesting the game and think they should just be awarded a win or that the final few minutes should be re-played as if the dunk did count.

-Jason "no way the NBA grants the Rockets a win... zero percent chance of that. I think the onus was on Houston to ask for a replay and when they did not, their window to ask for a change was closed" Evans
    Give them the basket and make the game a tie. GoDuke!

Good grief. It was one bad call that took away one basket. That, and equally or more egregious calls, happen all the time. Absolutely no to replaying that game. As best I can tell, most of the replayed games involved end of game situations (final play or final minute) and I don't even think all of those should have been replayed. A bad goaltending call or whatever with 7+ minutes left? Give me a freakin' break and move on. As if I needed more reasons to pull against the Rockets.

I am going to petition the NBA to replay the entire 2007 NBA playoffs starting from the minute Diaw and Stoudemire were suspended.

The NBA has already done what needed to be done: remind the Rockets that they are allowed 1 review per game and that the request for the review must be made within 30 seconds (so stop whining theatrics and request a review or STFU).

The bigger issue is the 24 FT's awarded to Harden...

There's no way they should change the result of the game. There are bad calls every night in every sport and they basically never overturn a result no matter how egregious the call.

There was that baseball pitcher who lost a perfect game on a terrible call on the last out of the game, and they wouldn't even change that, even though it had no effect on the ultimate outcome.

This regular season NBA game doesn't have enough meaning to merit breaking with decades of precedent.

LOL

I knew the NBA was fairly lax about traveling, but this is something else: https://es.pn/2DYzz8x.

Quote Originally Posted by Mabdul Doobakus View Post
    There's no way they should change the result of the game. There are bad calls every night in every sport and they basically never overturn a result no matter how egregious the call.

There was that baseball pitcher who lost a perfect game on a terrible call on the last out of the game, and they wouldn't even change that, even though it had no effect on the ultimate outcome.

This regular season NBA game doesn't have enough meaning to merit breaking with decades of precedent.
    Agree 100%. If I could somehow go higher than 100% I would. Why is the Rockets organization consistently involved in controversy? What’s with these guys???

Quote Originally Posted by JetpackJesus View Post
    I knew the NBA was fairly lax about traveling, but this is something else: https://es.pn/2DYzz8x.
    That's such a spectacularly bad missed call. Love this from Twitter. LeBron's response was pretty funny, too.

On an unrelated note, the fact that ESPN/Disney can't be bothered to build a better way to display video on the ESPN site than the horrorshow they have now is actively offensive to me.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOldBattleship View Post
    That's such a spectacularly bad missed call. Love this from Twitter. LeBron's response was pretty funny, too.

On an unrelated note, the fact that ESPN/Disney can't be bothered to build a better way to display video on the ESPN site than the horrorshow they have now is actively offensive to me.
    At least the travel was super inconsequential, I guess. That's probably what makes it so hilarious.

And I couldn't agree more about the ESPN video.

Pretty funny. Basketball using handball rules- could be interesting.

That's a great response by LeBron. I'm sure there was a lot of gnashing of teeth and vitriol thrown LeBron and the refs way over this. Some palm-to-forehead is justified but a walk down Twitter lane has plenty of ugliness on display. I love that LeBron's response is basically, "I was processing 100 things at once and I had a brain fart". Ref probably did, too. It happens, time to laugh and move on.

Harden on the other hand...

The Rockets have lodged their formal protest over the missed dunk... good luck with that.

The Rockets' hope is that the final 7 minutes, 50 seconds of the game will be replayed with Houston up by 15 points. Sources said the Rockets have no expectation that the league office will award them a win based on Houston actually outscoring San Antonio in regulation, which was a possibility raised by a Rockets source in the wake of the loss.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JetpackJesus View Post
    Reminds me of a similar play from Westbrook, but that one was actually called

The Rockets have lodged their formal protest over the missed dunk... good luck with that.
    So unbelievably stupid and petty. I just don't understand why the Rockets are making such an astoundingly big deal about this. I was a bad call, they happen all the time, even in close games. I'm hoping there is some kind of rules loophole that allows the NBA to just vacate all Rockets wins for the season as part of their final decision on the protest.

I actually think they have a better chance with this than other protests that have been lodged. The ball going through the basket, and not counting for points, is very objectively wrong. This isn't a judgment call on a foul, or a question of sufficient evidence to determine who touched the ball before it went out of bounds. It's a fundamental mistake in how basketball works. And you can't just award two more points to Houston--you'd have to replay the game from the moment it happened. I think it's actually closer to when the Heat got a replay for Shaq being disqualified after five fouls, instead of six.

Honestly, this would all be easier if Harden didn't go after the loose ball. When he came racing back into the play, I think that lulled/confirmed for the refs that the ball was live. He should have left it sitting there and gone back on defense. If he just ignored the basketball and jogged back, the refs would have realized something (like a score) had happened. That's what happened here, when Manu Ginobili hit a three, but Michael Beasley acted like he didn't:

Manu protested immediately, the refs stopped the action and called for replay, and eventually awarded the points.

But that's hindsight, and I'm not blaming Harden, it's not his fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    I actually think they have a better chance with this than other protests that have been lodged. The ball going through the basket, and not counting for points, is very objectively wrong. This isn't a judgment call on a foul, or a question of sufficient evidence to determine who touched the ball before it went out of bounds. It's a fundamental mistake in how basketball works. And you can't just award two more points to Houston--you'd have to replay the game from the moment it happened. I think it's actually closer to when the Heat got a replay for Shaq being disqualified after five fouls, instead of six.

Honestly, this would all be easier if Harden didn't go after the loose ball. When he came racing back into the play, I think that lulled/confirmed for the refs that the ball was live. He should have left it sitting there and gone back on defense. If he just ignored the basketball and jogged back, the refs would have realized something (like a score) had happened. That's what happened here, when Manu Ginobili hit a three, but Michael Beasley acted like he didn't:

Manu protested immediately, the refs stopped the action and called for replay, and eventually awarded the points.

But that's hindsight, and I'm not blaming Harden, it's not his fault.
    Your argument is equally valid for every single missed goaltending call (in either direction).

As far as Shaq, not being able to have a player on the court improperly is a much better justification than one missed call. It is under this precedent that I file my protest requesting a replay of the 2007 NBA Playoffs starting with the Suns-Spurs series.

Fizdale fired!

I don't think he's done a good job or even a decent one, but this horrible roster is not his fault. It is just not at all suited for NBA success. Dolan should have walked into the front office and said...

Fizdale fired!

I don't think he's done a good job or even a decent one, but this horrible roster is not his fault. It is just not at all suited for NBA success. Dolan should have walked into the front office and said...

And then fired himself! Free RJ!
    Good people drink good beer. -Hunter S. Thompson

The NBA should not do a thing about it after the game has ended. Missed/questionable/bad calls happen multiple times in EVERY basketball game. Who’s to say that any single missed/questionable/bad call is any more or less important than any other? Just typical Houston Rockets stuff — trying to get special treatment.

That team has my two most-disliked players (Harden and Westbrook), quite possibly my least-liked front office, and one of my least-respected coaches (all the guy cares about is offense, as if defense is irrelevant). This missed call couldn’t have happened to a better group of guys.