Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post

...THE WORST WORLD SERIES CALL I HAVE EVER SEEN.

I am pleased that you wrote "World Series call"
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    I am pleased that you wrote "World Series call"
    Boozer was fouled.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Boozer was fouled.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I am happy that my Nationals won game six, but I will have to say that the --

RUNNER INTERFERENCE CALL IN THE SEVENTH INNING WAS THE WORST WORLD SERIES CALL I HAVE EVER SEEN.

What was the umpire thinking? The ball was thrown on the foul side of the bag and would have hit Turner on his right buttock if let go. He got to the bag and was not leaning into fair territory at all.
    If you read the rule, it is subject to much interpretation...and in this particular case, the umps decided to ignore pure common sense...

Turner beats out a good throw, so the Astros were benefited from the throw being off line. Horrible call. And as mad as Davey was, he has to control himself better, but the ump also has to let him say his peace and wear the berating. Umps have been terrible all series and they shouldn’t double down by running a manager in game 6. Baseball gods and Rendon made everything right in the end but it’s crazy that the story after Cole’s incredible performance was Robo Umps (and flashers) and the story after Stras’s gem is the Turner call (and carrying bats around the bases).

But other than that, what a game! Game 7 tonight and my team has a chance to win the freaking World Series today! Can’t ask for anything more. So hard to believe. It’s been an amazing ride. I hope Max can be Max tonight to give the Nats a chance.

Let’s go Nats! Let’s go 1-0 one more time

Has a play ever been met with more relief by league execs than Rendon's HR?
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    If you read the rule, it is subject to much interpretation...and in this particular case, the umps decided to ignore pure common sense...
    And make a call that is NEVER made. Just unbelievable. I'm sure Holbrook knows he goofed, but had no way out of it.

Really think they need to switch to the softball style first base bags, for that play and for safety reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    And make a call that is NEVER made. Just unbelievable. I'm sure Holbrook knows he goofed, but had no way out of it.

Really think they need to switch to the softball style first base bags, for that play and for safety reasons.
    I think this is key. The rule is broken nearly 100% of the time because it's faster to get to first base. The interpretation is unclear. Gurriel's glove was in fair territory and knocked away before he can catch it. If Turner is running 8 inches to the right, he's out (assuming Gurriel catches it). Ball don't lie after Rendon's at bat I guess.

Astros are gripping again, though. And with Scherzer tonight, I think the Nats have to be favored. It's probably a done deal. Yeah. I don't think there is any way the Astros win.

Agree on softball style bags, but will George Will and Bob Costas allow it?

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    I think this is key. The rule is broken nearly 100% of the time because it's faster to get to first base. The interpretation is unclear. Gurriel's glove was in fair territory and knocked away before he can catch it. If Turner is running 8 inches to the right, he's out (assuming Gurriel catches it). Ball don't lie after Rendon's at bat I guess.

Astros are gripping again, though. And with Scherzer tonight, I think the Nats have to be favored. It's probably a done deal. Yeah. I don't think there is any way the Astros win.

Agree on softball style bags, but will George Will and Bob Costas allow it?
    Have to call you out on the attempted reverse jinx! My turn - I'm worried that Max isn't close to 100%, and he wasn't great in game 1. Grienke's career numbers against the Nats are really really good. Houston has been the better team all year, and the home team has to win at some point, right?

All that said, I feel like this is playing with house money as a Nats fan. I felt the season was over when Hader came into the WC game, when Will Smith hit a ball to the warning track in the bottom of the 9th in game 5 of the NLDS, and after the stinkbomb in DC this weekend. So happy to have one more game to watch, it's been an amazing year. Hope they finish the fight!

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    Turner beats out a good throw, so the Astros were benefited from the throw being off line. Horrible call. And as mad as Davey was, he has to control himself better, but the ump also has to let him say his peace and wear the berating. Umps have been terrible all series and they shouldn’t double down by running a manager in game 6. Baseball gods and Rendon made everything right in the end but it’s crazy that the story after Cole’s incredible performance was Robo Umps (and flashers) and the story after Stras’s gem is the Turner call (and carrying bats around the bases).

But other than that, what a game! Game 7 tonight and my team has a chance to win the freaking World Series today! Can’t ask for anything more. So hard to believe. It’s been an amazing ride. I hope Max can be Max tonight to give the Nats a chance.

Let’s go Nats! Let’s go 1-0 one more time
    I kind of thought that Davey was looking for an ejection to rally his lads after a series of very bad calls over the past two games...he felt he had to stand up for them.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    I think this is key. The rule is broken nearly 100% of the time because it's faster to get to first base. The interpretation is unclear. Gurriel's glove was in fair territory and knocked away before he can catch it. If Turner is running 8 inches to the right, he's out (assuming Gurriel catches it).
    It's also worth nothing that with a different runner (not Tuner) the pitcher takes the time to make a better throw. Turner was penalized simply because he's fast.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I kind of thought that Davey was looking for an ejection to rally his lads after a series of very bad calls over the past two games...he felt he had to stand up for them.
    The home plate umps have been bad both ways. The guy last night was consistent at least. No inside corner, wide outside corner.

But game 2 (or was it 3?) and game 5 umps were all over the place and I can match bad call for bad call against both teams’ pitchers and hitters.

I will say that if Greinke chokes tonight, that trade becomes a bust.

Kendrick’s eyes were closed. True story.

Astros straight blew this one. I’d be sick if I was a fan.

Let's go Senators! Er, Nats!

It’s over. Astros haven’t come from behind all post season I believe.

I don’t mind pulling Greinke but go with the 2017 plan and put in Cole. That said, Kendrick’s home run was one of the luckiest home runs I’ve seen.

Nat fans can shut up about balls and strikes now. They’ve been insufferable since the Robles call. I support robots but both sides have been bad.

The baseball gods have spoken. Turner did not interfere with the catch and was safe on first.

Congrats Nats. One team was able to get runs late when behind this series. One wasn’t. I was excited when Corbin came in, but he shut the Astros down. What a crazy series.

Wow. Still can’t believe it. What an amazing season. Nats painted themselves in a corner early on and fought back. Felt like they were playing elimination games from May onward, so it’s no surprise they went 5-0 and had to come from behind in them in the post season. That said they were super fortunate to win. That is a really great Astro’s team with a terrifying lineup. Nats couldn't get to Greinke at all, and were very lucky to only be down 2-0 heading into the 7th. And they got the favorable calls and breaks late and earned the rest. Most fun I’ve ever had watching a baseball season. Parade on Saturday!