Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 109
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    Nobody's around to talk Nats on what could be an historic night (meaning now)!!

    Four outs away from the World Series!!!!

    This post coming from someone who hasn't posted in a few minutes (er, months)!

    GO NATS!!!
    Iím still getting used to the idea. Now I get to worry that a long layoff will kill all of this momentum.
    JBDuke

    Andre Dawkins: ďPeople ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. Thatís kind of the same thing.Ē

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington DC
    Just got home from the game. Unreal. Still canít believe it. So happy for this team. Also great to see Werth celebrating with his old teammates. I was happy just to get to the post season but now Iím getting greedy and want 4 more wins!

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Winston’Salem
    Congrats to the Expo ex-pats.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Congrats to Nats. And I think if Yankees win tonight, ALCS is going 7. Nats will have their staff lined up and AL champ will have some fatigued bullpens.

    That said, Astros, if they get by, will have their rotation right, too. I think Astros want Greinke game 1 to ensure Cole and Verlander games 6 and 7. And you get Greinke in one NL home game (game 5) so he can hit.

    Tonightís game is going to be 5 hours with all the pitching changes. My lord the Yankees play the longest games.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North of Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    Congrats to Nats. And I think if Yankees win tonight, ALCS is going 7. Nats will have their staff lined up and AL champ will have some fatigued bullpens.

    That said, Astros, if they get by, will have their rotation right, too. I think Astros want Greinke game 1 to ensure Cole and Verlander games 6 and 7. And you get Greinke in one NL home game (game 5) so he can hit.

    Tonightís game is going to be 5 hours with all the pitching changes. My lord the Yankees play the longest games.
    Tonight's game isn't going to happen. I'm watching the clouds roll in from my office about five miles south of Yankee Stadium and it is forecasted to start pouring around lunch time in NY. I assume this will allow both teams to go back to their game 1 starters for game 4 but they will lose the off day so if this goes 6 or 7 it could start getting really interesting.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Tonight's game isn't going to happen. I'm watching the clouds roll in from my office about five miles south of Yankee Stadium and it is forecasted to start pouring around lunch time in NY. I assume this will allow both teams to go back to their game 1 starters for game 4 but they will lose the off day so if this goes 6 or 7 it could start getting really interesting.
    I for one am rooting for the Yankees' season to last as long as possible for MLS playoff purposes.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO

    2007 Layoff -- Ugh!

    Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    Iím still getting used to the idea. Now I get to worry that a long layoff will kill all of this momentum.
    In 2007 the Colorado Rockies, my alternate favorite team to the Nats, finished the regular season winning 14 of 15 to edge into the playoffs. The Rockies then swept the Phillies and the Diamondbacks to enter the World Series having won 20 of 21.

    There was a nine-day delay for the Rockies between the end of the NLCS on October 15 and the first game of the Series on October 24 because the Red Sox-Indians series took seven games. The Nats got swept by the Red Sox. I have always thought the delay was a harmful factor for the Rockies. On the other hand, teams are different, and perhaps the veteran players and pitchers of the Nats will come through this year.
    Sage Grouse

    ---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington DC
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    In 2007 the Colorado Rockies, my alternate favorite team to the Nats, finished the regular season winning 14 of 15 to edge into the playoffs. The Rockies then swept the Phillies and the Diamondbacks to enter the World Series having won 20 of 21.

    There was a nine-day delay for the Rockies between the end of the NLCS on October 15 and the first game of the Series on October 24 because the Red Sox-Indians series took seven games. The Nats got swept by the Red Sox. I have always thought the delay was a harmful factor for the Rockies. On the other hand, teams are different, and perhaps the veteran players and pitchers of the Nats will come through this year.
    I can't find the source of this stat, but on the radio this AM I heard that the last 10 teams to sweep the LCS are 1-9 in the World Series. Yuck. Here's hoping the Nats can keep their mojo while waiting for Tuesday.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    I can't find the source of this stat, but on the radio this AM I heard that the last 10 teams to sweep the LCS are 1-9 in the World Series. Yuck. Here's hoping the Nats can keep their mojo while waiting for Tuesday.
    Here's a MLB.com story that it's 1-8 for the last nine teams to do so:
    https://www.mlb.com/news/every-sweep-in-lcs-history
    According to the piece, there have been 9 teams to sweep an LCS since 1988, with the 1995 Atlanta Braves (not to be confused with the Cobb County Barves) standing as the only one to win a Series (4-0 over Cincinnati in NLCS, 4-2 over Cleveland to complete the "Take THAT, William Sherman" conquest of Ohio).

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Winston’Salem
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Tonight's game isn't going to happen. I'm watching the clouds roll in from my office about five miles south of Yankee Stadium and it is forecasted to start pouring around lunch time in NY. I assume this will allow both teams to go back to their game 1 starters for game 4 but they will lose the off day so if this goes 6 or 7 it could start getting really interesting.
    Spot on. Game 4 officially PPD-Rain
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

  11. #51
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Skinker-DeBaliviere, Saint Louis
    Cardinals hitting coach Jeff Albert will return in 2020.

    The front office sure does love that not-panicking look.

    A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert


    Some questions cannot be answered
    Whoís gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Spot on. Game 4 officially PPD-Rain
    Interesting. Greinke canít have three clunkers in a row (although he wasnít horrible in Game 1 of ALCS). And Astros have hit Tanaka before.

    It makes Game 7 a bullpen game as well.

  13. #53
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Skinker-DeBaliviere, Saint Louis
    The Nationals are going to have an undesirable amount of downtime between series.

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    It makes Game 7 a bullpen game as well.
    I think it's more likely both Severino and Cole are saved for a potential game 7 on regular rest. Maybe the team that's down pushes their guy up to game 6, though I think that's pretty unlikely for Severino, coming off his highest pitch count, by a decent margin, so far.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

  15. #55
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    I think it's more likely both Severino and Cole are saved for a potential game 7 on regular rest. Maybe the team that's down pushes their guy up to game 6, though I think that's pretty unlikely for Severino, coming off his highest pitch count, by a decent margin, so far.
    You are right. I had my days off. Game 6 would only be on 3 days rest for those guys.

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Man the FS1 booth seemed deflated when Correa hit his home run. Donít be so glum Joe and John!

  17. #57
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Home plate ump is so bad tonight. None of the hitters or pitchers know what to do.

  18. #58
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    Home plate ump is so bad tonight. None of the hitters or pitchers know what to do.
    Yep, itís a shame to see that in such an important game. These are supposed to be the best the MLB has but there were pitches several inches outside of the zone called strikes and clear strikes called balls.

  19. #59
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington DC
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    Yep, itís a shame to see that in such an important game. These are supposed to be the best the MLB has but there were pitches several inches outside of the zone called strikes and clear strikes called balls.
    Especially when the computers are so accurate. It's time to move to Robo-ump at the plate. I think the benefits far outweigh the downside with current technology.

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    Especially when the computers are so accurate. It's time to move to Robo-ump at the plate. I think the benefits far outweigh the downside with current technology.
    Totally agree. When the missed calls are so obvious with the electronic strike zone on TV and the calls could be made instantly by computer, it's frustrating to see a person miss so many calls in important games, even when it benefits my team and especially when it hurts my team.

    (This isn't intended as a partisan comment for Andrew Yang's automation-based campaign.)

Similar Threads

  1. 2019 NBA Playoffs
    By wilson in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 1723
    Last Post: 06-25-2019, 08:42 PM
  2. NHL Playoffs
    By Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-05-2017, 09:40 PM
  3. NBA Playoffs
    By superdave in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 748
    Last Post: 06-18-2011, 12:51 AM
  4. NHL Playoffs
    By mac46 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 06-14-2011, 12:04 PM
  5. NFL Playoffs
    By YourLandlord in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 01-27-2010, 10:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •