Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Howie Kendrick is a scholar and a gentleman.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Howie Kendrick is a scholar and a gentleman.
    Been waiting for a Nationals post-season win for a long time. Feels great.

Rendon! Hall-of-famer to be. Howie Kendrick! Hit a very good pitch for the grand slam. Juan Soto! He's only 20, but what a player!

Kudos to Straburg, who kept it together after a slow start. He has four good pitches working almost perfectly. It is hard to appreciate his completeness as a pitcher.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Well

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Been waiting for a Nationals post-season win for a long time. Feels great.

Rendon! Hall-of-famer to be. Howie Kendrick! Hit a very good pitch for the grand slam. Juan Soto! He's only 20, but what a player!

Kudos to Straburg, who kept it together after a slow start. He has four good pitches working almost perfectly. It is hard to appreciate his completeness as a pitcher.
    There was that wild card game 8 days ago. So you've been waiting 8 days.

But yeah, great to finally win a postseason series. Maybe Davey Martinez is a good manager after all?

Congratulations to all you Nats and Cards fans (ugh that's hard to type). I thought the Braves might finally win a postseason series, maybe they will before I die. Watching that first inning yesterday was like getting punched in the gut. Game 5, at home, season on the line and the game is over before you even swing a bat. Never seen anything like it. I am now pulling for anyone but the Yanks to win.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    Kershaw has the best career adjusted ERA of any starting pitcher. Ever. You have to go back to the days of Walter Johnson to find any starting pitcher with a lower career ERA. There’s no if about him going into the HOF, but, yes, the postseason has been more average.
    Meh, Kershaw now has 158+ innings of post season pitching. Given the $30 million per year they are paying him, you would hope for more than average in important games.

The Dodgers now have a pitching problem. They have $46 miliion tied up in Kershaw, Jansen, and Kelly. While Jansen did fine in the NLDS, his last two regular seasons show a clear decline. Kershaw also has lost significant velocity and appears to be nearly unusable in pressure situations. Kelly was just not great signing. The Dodgers have managed their young hitters and those contracts reasonably well. But now they need to fill the gaps pitching wise.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Meh, Kershaw now has 158+ innings of post season pitching. Given the $30 million per year they are paying him, you would hope for more than average in important games.

The Dodgers now have a pitching problem. They have $46 miliion tied up in Kershaw, Jansen, and Kelly. While Jansen did fine in the NLDS, his last two regular seasons show a clear decline. Kershaw also has lost significant velocity and appears to be nearly unusable in pressure situations. Kelly was just not great signing. The Dodgers have managed their young hitters and those contracts reasonably well. But now they need to fill the gaps pitching wise.
    Meh to Kershaw definitely getting into the HOF? OF course, he's getting in. He has the best career adjusted ERA of any starting pitcher. Ever. I could see him eventually falling behind Pedro Martinez, but he's still going to finish way up on the list. In my time as a fan, going back to 77, I'd say Kershaw, Pedro, and Maddux have been the 3 best pitchers, with Clemens losing points for cheating bigtime. Baseball is a sport that largely judges its HOF'er by their regular season careers, which makes sense given the huge sample size relative to postseason. How many career RBI does Trout have in the postseason? The same number I have, I believe.

If you just mean to reinforce that he hasn't been nearly as good in postseason, I already agreed but thanks for rubbing in a tough loss. Almost unusable definitely overstates it. He's had dominant postseason starts. He's had starts when he was dominant until a big late inning, when he would be pulled earlier the way games are managed today. His ability is on an early-ish decline at age 31, though 16-5 with a 3:03 ERA would still be a career year for many. By the way, check out Max Scherzer's career postseason numbers after the Division Series round. They are quite bad.

The Dodgers aren't going away. They have lots of young talent, including pitching (e.g., Buehler, May, Gonsolin), either already established or in the process of doing so. They did lead the major leagues in ERA this year. Kershaw will become overpaid as he continues to get older, but they certainly wouldn't have won 7 straight division titles without him.

Meh to Kershaw definitely getting into the HOF? OF course, he's getting in. He has the best career adjusted ERA of any starting pitcher. Ever. I could see him eventually falling behind Pedro Martinez, but he's still going to finish way up on the list. In my time as a fan, going back to 77, I'd say Kershaw, Pedro, and Maddux have been the 3 best pitchers, with Clemens losing points for cheating bigtime. Baseball is a sport that largely judges its HOF'er by their regular season careers, which makes sense given the huge sample size relative to postseason. How many career RBI does Trout have in the postseason? The same number I have, I believe.
    Apples and oranges. Trout has had a total of 3 games in the post-season, so a minuscule sample size. Kershaw has 25 post-season starts. That's a big sample size.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    Apples and oranges. Trout has had a total of 3 games in the post-season, so a minuscule sample size. Kershaw has 25 post-season starts. That's a big sample size.
    True, but Duke79's broader point is obviously correct. The post-season performance is disappointing, and may linger as a negative Kershaw never erases, but it has no bearing on his HOF election, which is already assured.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

If you just mean to reinforce that he hasn't been nearly as good in postseason, I already agreed but thanks for rubbing in a tough loss. Almost unusable definitely overstates it. He's had dominant postseason starts. He's had starts when he was dominant until a big late inning, when he would be pulled earlier the way games are managed today. His ability is on an early-ish decline at age 31, though 16-5 with a 3:03 ERA would still be a career year for many. By the way, check out Max Scherzer's career postseason numbers after the Division Series round. They are quite bad.

The Dodgers aren't going away. They have lots of young talent, including pitching (e.g., Buehler, May, Gonsolin), either already established or in the process of doing so. They did lead the major leagues in ERA this year. Kershaw will become overpaid as he continues to get older, but they certainly wouldn't have won 7 straight division titles without him.
    Interesting, I went to my first Dodgers game with my grandfather in 1977.* Meh, to his best career adjusted ERA of any starting pitcher. While his stats will certainly merit inclusion in the HoF on his first ballot, unless things change he will have to deal with the legacy of never winning the big one and personally coming up short too often when it mattered(playoffs). Fairly or unfairly, something neither Maddux nor Pedro had to deal with(yes, I know Pedro struggled against the Yankees in the playoffs). Sure, Clayton has had some great starts in the playoffs but he has had nearly as many stinkers(particularly if you take the Bravos out of the mix.)

Yes, the Dodgers will likely be fine in the long run but it has been 31 years and counting.

FWIW, I would prefer to have a Bulldog on the mound whose post-season stats showed improvement over his regular season efforts.

*Ron Cey was a neighbor later in life, Eric Davis lived about a mile away during his time in LA and Campy was just on the other side of Topanga Canyon Blvd. And my sister may or may not have dated a pitcher who started for 3 seasons for the Dodgers.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    but it has no bearing on his HOF election, which is already assured.
    To which I again issue an apathetic "meh". This thread is about the MLB playoffs...

You can build a new ball park to suit your demographic wants and unwants, but you can't take the stink out of the postseason Braves. Couldn't they have just hoisted a white flag during warmups and save themselves the embarrassment?
    Even by their rigorous standards, this was throat constriction at its loftiest heights.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    You can build a new ball park to suit your demographic wants and unwants, but you can't take the stink out of the postseason Braves. Couldn't they have just hoisted a white flag during warmups and save themselves the embarrassment?
    Even by their rigorous standards, this was throat constriction at its loftiest heights.
    The conversation around Atlanta about postseason failures is just downright hilarious at this point.
    I'm pretty glad to have the one glaring exception in Atlanta United, which I fully recognize is a rung below the Failcons/Barves/Dawgs/Hawks (Who am I kidding? The Hawks have had precious few opportunities to truly fail in like 3 decades).

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    The conversation around Atlanta about postseason failures is just downright hilarious at this point.
    I'm pretty glad to have the one glaring exception in Atlanta United, which I fully recognize is a rung below the Failcons/Barves/Dawgs/Hawks (Who am I kidding? The Hawks have had precious few opportunities to truly fail in like 3 decades).
    I wonder if the Braves might consider trading for Clayton Kershaw, whose postseason exploits are right up their alley?

Good for the soccer lads, glad to see someone is doing well there...

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I wonder if the Braves might consider trading for Clayton Kershaw, whose postseason exploits are right up their alley?

Good for the soccer lads, glad to see someone is doing well there...
    Alright all you naysayers and makers fun of...Just wait until next year...YOU'LL SEE...YOU'LL ALL SEE!!!!!
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    Alright all you naysayers and makers fun of...Just wait until next year...YOU'LL SEE...YOU'LL ALL SEE!!!!!
    As a genuine Brooklyn Dodgers fan as a wee tyke, I can definitely relate to your position.

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    I have heard that 31 times in a row now. Never gets old.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Astros not even mentioned on this page. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    Or the Yanks.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by acdevil View Post
    Or the Yanks.
    Now, why would we want to ruin a perfectly good thread?

Shocked!! Just Shocked!!!

Nobody's around to talk Nats on what could be an historic night (meaning now)!!

Four outs away from the World Series!!!!

This post coming from someone who hasn't posted in a few minutes (er, months)!

GO NATS!!!