Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

MLB Playoffs 2019

Go Nats!!
    What just happened?? After 7 depressing innings, what a thrilling finish!
    Still giddy / in shock...

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
    Go Nats!!
    What just happened?? After 7 depressing innings, what a thrilling finish!
    Still giddy / in shock...
    Agree 100%. To trail for 3 hours, and then take the lead and end the game in 20 minutes is hard to comprehend. Kind of like the baseball version of the Louisville game in a way. But it’s also so 2019 Nats to dig themselves a hole and fight out of it.

Stadium was nervous in the 6th and 7th but electric in the 8th and 9th. Best game in DC since the Werth walk off in the 2012 NLDS.

Soto is a stud. 20 years old. Amazing

Used 2 starters and have to face a tough Dodgers team in 2 days, but enjoying the heck out of tonight.

N-A-T-S Nats Nats Nats Wooooo!

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    Agree 100%. To trail for 3 hours, and then take the lead and end the game in 20 minutes is hard to comprehend. Kind of like the baseball version of the Louisville game in a way. But it’s also so 2019 Nats to dig themselves a hole and fight out of it.

Stadium was nervous in the 6th and 7th but electric in the 8th and 9th. Best game in DC since the Werth walk off in the 2012 NLDS.

Soto is a stud. 20 years old. Amazing

Used 2 starters and have to face a tough Dodgers team in 2 days, but enjoying the heck out of tonight.

N-A-T-S Nats Nats Nats Wooooo!
    It was great. I'd say it was better than the Werth walkoff, because it meant that the Nats advanced. Also, Soto's hit was one of the biggest win probability swings in postseason history. Great recap here: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/twenty-s...in-a-thriller/

Stadium was electric. I'm very tired today, but happy.

Tough loss for the Braves tonight. Got to tip my cap to the Redbirds, it was a great game. Acuna and Freddie with shots in the 9th but 1 run short. I'll be at the game tomorrow and it's now a must win with this being a 5 game series. Can't go down 0-2 going to St Louis and expect to win.

Sigh, vintage playoff Kershaw last night. As great as he's been for the Dodgers over the years, his playoff performance won't be what gets him in the Hall if that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Sigh, vintage playoff Kershaw last night. As great as he's been for the Dodgers over the years, his playoff performance won't be what gets him in the Hall if that happens.
    Kershaw has the best career adjusted ERA of any starting pitcher. Ever. You have to go back to the days of Walter Johnson to find any starting pitcher with a lower career ERA. There’s no if about him going into the HOF, but, yes, the postseason has been more average.

Cardinals beat the Braves 5-4 in 10 to force Game 5 on Wednesday. Yadi Molina with clutch hits in 8th and 10th innings.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Cardinals beat the Braves 5-4 in 10 to force Game 5 on Wednesday. Yadi Molina with clutch hits in 8th and 10th innings.
    Ugh... And now Flaherty is waiting on the wings. As a Braves fan I think we missed our chance tonight. Beating Flaherty twice in one series is a tall order.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post

I love him so much.

*Points, laughs at Barves for letting their best opportunity get away*
    *gives yet another finger to Cobb County in hopes that people go home from there unhappy tomorrow night*

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    *Points, laughs at Barves for letting their best opportunity get away*
    *gives yet another finger to Cobb County in hopes that people go home from there unhappy tomorrow night*
    If someone had told me fifteen or thirty years ago that one day I'd be rooting against the Braves in a playoff series on my birthday, I'd have told them they were crazy. (I did root for Atlanta over Saint Louis in the 2012 Wild Card--it wasn't really too hard--the Birds had just won the whole deal, and it was Chipper's last ride).

But I didn't see White Flight Field happening. So here we are.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Wilson--

This rather obvious point only now dawned on me--this is the only major league sport in which Atlanta and Saint Louis meet, at present. Atlanta stole StL's NBA team before the Moon Landing but cannot keep losing hockey clubs to the Canadian Prairie*; in turn, the NFL has conclusively told StL to eat poo and die. So football, hockey, and basketball matchups are out.

Saint Louis MLS 2022! See you then, Atlanta.

* -- I have found that few Blues fans, even those with requisite years, have any idea the Calgary Flames inhabited any other city.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Wilson--

This rather obvious point only now dawned on me--this is the only major league sport in which Atlanta and Saint Louis meet, at present. Atlanta stole StL's NBA team before the Moon Landing but cannot keep losing hockey clubs to the Canadian Prairie*; in turn, the NFL has conclusively told StL to eat poo and die. So football, hockey, and basketball matchups are out.

Saint Louis MLS 2022! See you then, Atlanta.

* -- I have found that few Blues fans, even those with requisite years, have any idea the Calgary Flames inhabited any other city.
    This is indeed an interesting observation, made more interesting by the Hawks connection.
    If St. Louis MLS is anywhere near as fun as Atlanta MLS has been, y'all are in for a treat. My wife and I will certainly be visiting for a road game at some point, as she is a SLU grad with lots of friends still in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    My wife and I will certainly be visiting for a road game at some point, as she is a SLU grad with lots of friends still in the area.
    Holla!

Headed to B1 with the Cardinals up on the Braves 10-0. That's right! 10-0!
    Bob Green

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Ok, I feel better now. Just let me catch my breath and simmer down a little.

The Bravettes more like it...

Cardinals advance via a 13-1 Game 5 victory over the Braves.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    Kershaw has the best career adjusted ERA of any starting pitcher. Ever. You have to go back to the days of Walter Johnson to find any starting pitcher with a lower career ERA. There’s no if about him going into the HOF, but, yes, the postseason has been more average.
    Meh, Kershaw now has 158+ innings of post season pitching. Given the $30 million per year they are paying him, you would hope for more than average in important games.

The Dodgers now have a pitching problem. They have $46 miliion tied up in Kershaw, Jansen, and Kelly. While Jansen did fine in the NLDS, his last two regular seasons show a clear decline. Kershaw also has lost significant velocity and appears to be nearly unusable in pressure situations. Kelly was just not great signing. The Dodgers have managed their young hitters and those contracts reasonably well. But now they need to fill the gaps pitching wise.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Meh, Kershaw now has 158+ innings of post season pitching. Given the $30 million per year they are paying him, you would hope for more than average in important games.

The Dodgers now have a pitching problem. They have $46 miliion tied up in Kershaw, Jansen, and Kelly. While Jansen did fine in the NLDS, his last two regular seasons show a clear decline. Kershaw also has lost significant velocity and appears to be nearly unusable in pressure situations. Kelly was just not great signing. The Dodgers have managed their young hitters and those contracts reasonably well. But now they need to fill the gaps pitching wise.
    Meh to Kershaw definitely getting into the HOF? OF course, he's getting in. He has the best career adjusted ERA of any starting pitcher. Ever. I could see him eventually falling behind Pedro Martinez, but he's still going to finish way up on the list. In my time as a fan, going back to 77, I'd say Kershaw, Pedro, and Maddux have been the 3 best pitchers, with Clemens losing points for cheating bigtime. Baseball is a sport that largely judges its HOF'er by their regular season careers, which makes sense given the huge sample size relative to postseason. How many career RBI does Trout have in the postseason? The same number I have, I believe.

If you just mean to reinforce that he hasn't been nearly as good in postseason, I already agreed but thanks for rubbing in a tough loss. Almost unusable definitely overstates it. He's had dominant postseason starts. He's had starts when he was dominant until a big late inning, when he would be pulled earlier the way games are managed today. His ability is on an early-ish decline at age 31, though 16-5 with a 3:03 ERA would still be a career year for many. By the way, check out Max Scherzer's career postseason numbers after the Division Series round. They are quite bad.

The Dodgers aren't going away. They have lots of young talent, including pitching (e.g., Buehler, May, Gonsolin), either already established or in the process of doing so. They did lead the major leagues in ERA this year. Kershaw will become overpaid as he continues to get older, but they certainly wouldn't have won 7 straight division titles without him.