Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Tonight's a pretty big game for all 3 remaining teams.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Altuve.

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    It's time to move to Robo-ump at the plate.
    I'll start watching baseball again if they make it be an actual robot.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    Altuve.
    Seconded. Go Astros!

Go nats. Rally caps on.

Is there no one else on this beautiful planet besides Joseph Buck who can call a game?
    Anyone at all?
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Is there no one else on this beautiful planet besides Joseph Buck who can call a game?
    Anyone at all?
    Vin retired 3 years ago. And the guy I uswd to listen to in Cincy, Marty Brennaman retired this year. Holy crap, Brennaman was a Tar Heel. That explains a whole bunch.

There was a saying that the series doesn't really start until the home team loses. In this case one might say that the series really starts when the home team wins.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    There was a saying that the series doesn't really start until the home team loses. In this case one might say that the series really starts when the home team wins.
    No kidding. 4 games of home crowds leaving dejected (including me and my kids). Nats have only scored 2 runs in 2 games at home, and Soto is 0 for DC. Nats have had their chances but haven’t been able to hit with RISP. Huge games coming up with Scherzer-Cole II and Stras-Verlander II. It is POURING here in DC right now (I feel bad for all the people running the Marine Corps Marathon in this) so not sure if they will be able to play tonight. Not sure if that advantages either team. The combination of staying up late to watch the games and my level of anxiety about them is a bad mix, but I guess this is what the World Series is like! At least it’s kept me from worrying about a poor BB exhibition game showing or losing to the heels in FB.

Let’s go Nats!

No kidding. 4 games of home crowds leaving dejected (including me and my kids). Nats have only scored 2 runs in 2 games at home, and Soto is 0 for DC. Nats have had their chances but haven’t been able to hit with RISP. Huge games coming up with Scherzer-Cole II and Stras-Verlander II. It is POURING here in DC right now (I feel bad for all the people running the Marine Corps Marathon in this) so not sure if they will be able to play tonight. Not sure if that advantages either team. The combination of staying up late to watch the games and my level of anxiety about them is a bad mix, but I guess this is what the World Series is like! At least it’s kept me from worrying about a poor BB exhibition game showing or losing to the heels in FB.

Let’s go Nats!
    And as soon as I post this the rain stops and sun comes out. Actually warmer here than it’s been recently. Looking like a great night for baseball.

No Scherzer tonight

a modest proposal

MLB should make game 2 or 3 of every World Series some sort of "Super Bowl Sunday" equivalent ... trot out stats as to who wins this game means who wins the Series ... start the game at a time that the whole country could rally around (in other words, not after 8 pm on the East coast ending post-midnight) ... yes, such a mid-Series game would be an arbitrary demarcation but make it a thing and see what happens ...

No kidding. 4 games of home crowds leaving dejected (including me and my kids).

¡Entonces, cinco!

In the first round of the 2019 Stanley Cup playoffs, the road team won the first five games of the Blues-Jets series.

But the home team won the sixth.

(That was 2-2-1-1-1 though, not 2-3-2. The Jets had home ice. So going home up 3-2, Houston gets two chances to close the series at home, not one; had the Blues lost the sixth game at home, they'd have returned one last time to Winnipeg).

Strasburg-Verlander Tuesday, maybe I should actually watch a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    MLB should make game 2 or 3 of every World Series some sort of "Super Bowl Sunday" equivalent ... trot out stats as to who wins this game means who wins the Series ... start the game at a time that the whole country could rally around (in other words, not after 8 pm on the East coast ending post-midnight) ... yes, such a mid-Series game would be an arbitrary demarcation but make it a thing and see what happens ...
    I have tuned in to watch every game of this series and have yet to watch one of them to its conclusion. The 8pm start times are too late. Post season games tend to take longer to play anyway so these games are going on towards midnight every night. How are you supposed to get young kids interested in your product if all of your showcase games are taking place when they are already in the bed? Most of these games are taking place on work nights and therefore not only are the kids missing out most a lot of the adults like myself as well. I feel old typing this but it's the truth.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    I have tuned in to watch every game of this series and have yet to watch one of them to its conclusion. The 8pm start times are too late. Post season games tend to take longer to play anyway so these games are going on towards midnight every night. How are you supposed to get young kids interested in your product if all of your showcase games are taking place when they are already in the bed? Most of these games are taking place on work nights and therefore not only are the kids missing out most a lot of the adults like myself as well. I feel old typing this but it's the truth.
    Move to the best coast?

Seriously, it’s my favorite thing about living in the pacific time zone.

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    Move to the best coast?

Seriously, it’s my favorite thing about living in the pacific time zone.
    So so true.

The Central is a good first step... but I don't stay tuned to completion of these games either, even though I have a one-hour advantage on the Easts.

In the dead of winter, Duke games at 6pm east get watched. Duke games at 8pm (thus 8:10 really, 10:15 completion in ACC play, typically)...much spottier second half record over here. (I didn't even see South Carolina eliminate us). If anyone wanted me to actually watch anything I'm not attending live, they should have started doing it prior to sundown-plus-3h.

Forget stuff that happens at sensible times out west. In 1995, I bonded with Shalay's father over these interminable west coast road trips the Braves took, and watched while he fell asleep on the sofa. In 2019, I simply don't watch or even try to watch Cardinals/Blues west cost road trips. Talk to me during the playoffs.

Many of us been complaining about LCS/WS start times for at least thirty years. MLB has signalled that they're about as interested in "the next generation of fans" as Duke University is interested in the football gameday experience/concessions. I'm not holding my breath.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Great idea. The late games are brutal for me and my kids. I kind of get the late weeknight starts so that people out west are home from work. But start the Sunday games a bit earlier so easy and central kids can watch at least some of it. I don’t see how the current way works as most people I know on the east coast turn it off unless they have a rooting interest, but I assume Fox and MLB have people running the numbers that tell them otherwise.

The nfl seems to have figured this out as prime time games are a bit earlier than the old 9 pm MNF start.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    ...The nfl. ..
    and the NFL ticket might block that idea. They rule Sunday?

We're still wondering if there isn't one other human on Planet Earth who might be able to call a Series game? Anybody? Anybody besides Buck? He's so, so, so WINDBAGGY.

Just maybe?

Smoltz must be so worn out.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

I am happy that my Nationals won game six, but I will have to say that the --

RUNNER INTERFERENCE CALL IN THE SEVENTH INNING WAS THE WORST WORLD SERIES CALL I HAVE EVER SEEN.

What was the umpire thinking? The ball was thrown on the foul side of the bag and would have hit Turner on his right buttock if let go. He got to the bag and was not leaning into fair territory at all.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I am happy that my Nationals won game six, but I will have to say that the --

RUNNER INTERFERENCE CALL IN THE SEVENTH INNING WAS THE WORST WORLD SERIES CALL I HAVE EVER SEEN.

What was the umpire thinking? The ball was thrown on the foul side of the bag and would have hit Turner on his right buttock if let go. He got to the bag and was not leaning into fair territory at all.
    I have to agree. When he got to the bag he centered it with his LEFT foot. I’m not sure what he’s supposed to do differently there.