Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Interesting (at least I think so) notes:

The ACC tournament is only 4 teams and 1 weekend. If we don't make the ACC Tournament, there is no makeup game. This is why we have Utah in the old pre-NCAA spot.
    The ACC is moving some games to Thursdays, which I guess means moving 1 home and 1 away game for each team to be fair.

Two more pieces of schedule intel, from which we can infer a third.

Duke is at Towson on Saturday, March 14.

The Cheats come to town on Thursday night, March 26.

In recent years, the Cheats have been the second ACC game, so we can infer that Duke plays Cuse at home some time on the weekend of March 19-22.

There are no changes to Syracuse, UNC, and UVA (Th/S TBD). I would assume ND is the same.

Add @Loyola on 3/7. https://loyolagreyhounds.com/news/20...ome-games.aspx

The only significant question is whether we play Penn again in the same spot.

Coach Dano called in 37 players for the U.S. Lacrosse Spring Premiere, January 4-5 at Univ. of Incarnate Word in San Antonio. Three Duke alums are included: Will Haus, Justin Guterding, and Deemer Class. They will join four current and future Blue Devils who will be coming in to join the U-19s as they start preparation for this summer’s U-19 world championship. With the world championship still over two years away, it’s a chance for younger players to win mind-share with Dano and his staff.

The senior team plays the Japanese national team on Saturday afternoon and goes Blue vs. White on Sunday. The U-19s play Edge (a top Canadian junior club team) on Saturday and Japan on Sunday.

For Gut and Deemer, it’s their first callups, and deserved in both cases given their 2019 PLL seasons. Will returns after a solid performance as a last-minute addition to the squad for the 2018 world championship.

Hell yeah I’m planning to go: it’s only two hours away, and with my retirement becoming official on 12/31 I’ll have nothing but time. Hope to see some of y’all there.

Congrats on your retirement Burn. More time for Duke sports!
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

One of the few remaining holes in Duke’s 2020 schedule has been filled: Richmond is the Week Five opponent, coming to town on Saturday 2/29.

Any news on a potential 6th team to add to the ACC men’s lax profile? Still one team short of an auto-bid, right (Although I know the conference is good enough where it shouldn’t matter)

I would not look for it in the near future. When Hop decided to join the Big 10, it requires an existing school to add a men's team (Title IX problems) or expansion. The ACC has no problem getting every deserving team in the tournament. We just need to make the ACC tournament to get in.

duke2x: "We just need to make the ACC tournament to get in."[/QUOTE]

Do you mean for an automatic bid?

Quote Originally Posted by 53n206 View Post
    ACC does not receive an automatic bid.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    I would not look for it in the near future. When Hop decided to join the Big 10, it requires an existing school to add a men's team (Title IX problems) or expansion. The ACC has no problem getting every deserving team in the tournament. We just need to make the ACC tournament to get in.
    Quote Originally Posted by 53n206 View Post
    duke2x: "We just need to make the ACC tournament to get in."
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    As Bob Green noted, there is no automatic bid for the ACC because there are not 6 teams. I think duke2x's point is more that the quality of the ACC is so high that it's fairly likely four of the five teams will get in at large, but the fifth team--which probably has already lost at least 3 ACC games and, in the new format, will not get a guaranteed exhibition game against an Ivy League or similar quality opponent--will have a hard time getting in.

That being said, we can't count on all four ACC tournament teams getting into the NCAA tournament--that ultimately depends on how the rest of the season plays out.
    Last edited by -jk; 12-15-2019 at 05:43 PM. Reason: fix quote tag

GaTech still has Title IX and facilities issues, but BC and VaTech ran out of excuses quite a while ago.

It would take Louisville longer to become competitive because unlike the other three, the Cards don’t have a natural recruiting area

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    GaTech still has Title IX and facilities issues, but BC and VaTech ran out of excuses quite a while ago.

It would take Louisville longer to become competitive because unlike the other three, the Cards don’t have a natural recruiting area
    BC is inexcusable given their proximity to so many schools (public and private) that excel in lax...

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    BC is inexcusable given their proximity to so many schools (public and private) that excel in lax...
    Just musing, but all five ACC teams are among the best in the country. There could be competitive concerns from a men's lacrosse start-up.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Just musing, but all five ACC teams are among the best in the country. There could be competitive concerns from a men's lacrosse start-up.
    Well, yes. Agree with Burns that both BC and VaTech are well situated to start men's lax programs, but you are right that they would have to invest major energy and resources to develop programs that could be reasonably competitive in the league within, say, 3-5 years. They may lack the necessary desire and/or the necessary patience.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    BC had varsity men's lax until 2002 - I believe I saw them play Duke in the 90s. So there is some history there, though these days, I would call that ancient history. I am guessing that adding men's lacrosse is a very low priority for them right now, given the Title 9 issues involved, unless a rich alum was willing to help endow the program. It would be great to round out the ACC but starting a money losing team that is going to get slaughtered in-conference for at least a few years doesn't sound very appealing if I'm BC, particularly if they have to add women's scholarships to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    As Bob Green noted, there is no automatic bid for the ACC because there are not 6 teams. I think duke2x's point is more that the quality of the ACC is so high that it's fairly likely four of the five teams will get in at large, but the fifth team--which probably has already lost at least 3 ACC games and, in the new format, will not get a guaranteed exhibition game against an Ivy League or similar quality opponent--will have a hard time getting in.

That being said, we can't count on all four ACC tournament teams getting into the NCAA tournament--that ultimately depends on how the rest of the season plays out.
    This is my point. The ACC has averaged about 4.5/5 in the NCAA after Syracuse/ND expansion. It all comes down to the RPI formula except for the last at-large, which tends to be subjective. If we went undefeated non-conference next year (wins over Denver, Richmond, Loyola(MD), Towson, and probably Penn) but went 0-4 in the ACC, we would get in. The same would apply to any ACC team.

The lacrosse schedule is officially overdue since 12/15 was the deadline. (I'm sure the Sunday extends it to Monday.)

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    BC had varsity men's lax until 2002 - I believe I saw them play Duke in the 90s. So there is some history there, though these days, I would call that ancient history. I am guessing that adding men's lacrosse is a very low priority for them right now, given the Title 9 issues involved, unless a rich alum was willing to help endow the program. It would be great to round out the ACC but starting a money losing team that is going to get slaughtered in-conference for at least a few years doesn't sound very appealing if I'm BC, particularly if they have to add women's scholarships to make it happen.
    good points...personally I just don't see Virginia Tech as that great an opportunity over there in the hills...UVA they are not.

Boston College, Virginia Tech and Louisville all have women's lacrosse teams. That means adding a men's lacrosse team for any of these schools would mandate finding a comparable women's sport to start.

Adding two sports for the privilege of getting your teeth kicked in by the traditional powers for the foreseeable future would seem to be a tough sell.

Maybe Clemson can use some of that football spare change to add two lacrosse programs.

NCSU would seem to have the, long-past, pedigree to restart a program. The Wolfies made the NCAAs in 1979, when only eight teams were invited to the dance. Cockerton is still in the discussion as
    one of the greatest attackmen of all time and Tim Nelson started there before moving on to Syracuse when State dropped the sport. I hoped that Debbie Yow would start the program back up, but I'm not sure the interest was there. VT did have a varsity program at the same time as State did, but they never came close to State's success.