Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Hope this comes through -- link to photos from October 5, 1929 against Pitt -- first game at the stadium.

https://twitter.com/DukeFOOTBALL/sta...693698/photo/1

Very cool. Ninety year anniversary.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Have you read the menu for said "legendary tailgate" yet? The Duke vs Kentucky thread will have to be revived on Sunday.
    Yes! Even the menus are legendary, complete with Twain quotes and Costcos

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Hope this comes through -- link to photos from October 5, 1929 against Pitt -- first game at the stadium.

https://twitter.com/DukeFOOTBALL/sta...693698/photo/1
    I grew up hearing about this game. My father was a freshman who attended this game and a number of other Pitt - Duke games which are important in our family history as well as Duke football history.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I'm still hobbled by last year's VT game in which we had a huge, huge opportunity and simply didn't show up. I expect a good game...Pitt is way better than they showed vs Delaware (they played very well vs Penn State) so I expect they'll be formidable.
    Pitt on ACC-N is not a football primetime showcase--neither school nor network. It's comparable to UNC 2012 on ESPN-U except the stadium should have fewer people. Pitt travels more like GT and Wake than UNC or VT. We also are a lot healthier than last year against VT and especially Pitt. This group has more than a capote in its defensive arsenal.

I also concur that the predictions I see here are a little bit skewed. They average 19 and 23 against FBS with more P5 competition, and they sandbagged against Delaware. I hope it will be better than the 1929 game we are celebrating (7-52). More realistically, I hope Duke hangs on to win either with a late score or builds a 20-0 lead starting the 4th that Pitt's offense can't catch. Fingers crossed.

Pitt-----17
    Duke----20

Quote Originally Posted by PDDuke85 View Post
    Going with the Blewitt look
    I've been a Duke fan ever since I was a kid...thanks to my parents (RIP Dad), and even after all these years I've got to say that's a beautiful shade of blue. I love the blue pants and jersey combination although I think the white helmet with 'Duke' in blue script would have been perfect with the white shoes. Okay, certainly very trivial in the grand scheme of things but that's my take on this week's duds.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Brittain Brown had his shoulder surgery today - he will not play again this year.
    Sorry to hear this for Brittain and the team but we've got some depth at RB this year it appears. I have faith that Coach Cut and the staff will adjust accordingly and that someone will take advantage of the opportunity providing quality minutes.

I'm looking forward to being in Wallace Wade this weekend with some out of town guests from the midwest who will be moving to Kannapolis very soon. They're already showing signs of potentially becoming Duke fans. Suffice it to say that I'm doing my best to nudge them in that direction. The weather looks to be very nice Saturday...great weather and a Blue Devils victory is a beautiful thing.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I feel ya about last season, but I smelled that one coming. This season, the scent is much nicer. You're right, Pitt was solid against Penn State and UCF...I am not factoring in the Delaware game to my equation, and I wouldn't be surprised if Cut didn't even show that film...because that wasn't the real Pitt. Still, I like Duke by a couple touchdowns.
    Oh what the hell.

Y'all know how I love a good pie bet and a good hedge. Plus pie bets make DBR kinda fun.

Pie bet offer:

I"ll take Pitt + 5 Points.
    You get Duke -5 Points.

I believe this is the current Vegas line, so just trying to propose a fair pie bet. I love Cut and hope Duke is awesome this year. I love the look of our Duke D and I love the look of all the offensive sets we're running. I'm not disagreeing with HB4CK and not even saying I think I'm making a smart bet here. I just view this as a bet I can't really lose since I win either way. This bet offer expires in 24 hours from this post if no one has taken it, to discourage any late sharp information I don't have access to (I don't have access to any). This bet offer is only for the first taker.

I'm going to the game with my wife (a Tarheel alum from a Tarheel family who I've converted to a Duke fan because she despises Roy and despises that her alma mater cheated (or maybe just true love) - how awesome is my wife either way) and cheering my heart out for Duke! So I'll be cheering loud and 100% (for you to win the bet), and don't mind losing it. I want Duke 4-1. I just like to hedge. If Duke loses, at least I'll win a good pie from the Grand Traverse website:

https://gtpie.com/menus/pies/

(I'm taking the chocolate ganache cherry if I win)

And if Duke wins and goes to 4-1, I'm ecstatic and happy to send another true-blue Duke fan a pie to help celebrate. And if we win a close one, there's a chance I win-win. But I'm rooting for a Duke blowout (or at least Pitt Blew-itt). My poor blood pressure suffers enough during the work-week.

Don't hate me if I win this bet. I want to lose it and I usually lose pie bets anyway. Who wants to play?

Richard, you're on. I'm down a pie to you anyway. I just love to gamble, especially since if I can root like hell for Duke.

Shake on it?

Quote Originally Posted by 4Gen View Post
    Richard, you're on. I'm down a pie to you anyway. I just love to gamble, especially since if I can root like hell for Duke.

Shake on it?
    Shakes on it. I was hoping you would take this bet. We bet on the Pitt game last year, and I promised you a chance to win that pie back. I hope you win! Go Duke in a blowout!

ps - Smart bet (I hope). I still cheer for Duke loudly like a maniac when I'm there. Fill Wade up with Duke Blue for this one! Very cheap (free.99 if you have connections and you do), gorgeous weather, potentially great football game - why wouldn't you come?
    Last edited by richardjackson199; 10-03-2019 at 10:55 PM.

Haha. I hope I do too.
    Last edited by 4Gen; 10-03-2019 at 10:59 PM.

Dear Coach Cut. My people need pie.

Respectfully.

Duke game notes: https://goduke.com/documents/2019/10...h.pdf?id=19620

Whole preview page with Cut's press conference and Pitt's game notes, too: https://goduke.com/news/2019/10/1/fo...ittsburgh.aspx

Does the ACCN have this locked down, or is there some alternative way of viewing this game?

Asking for a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    Does the ACCN have this locked down, or is there some alternative way of viewing this game?

Asking for a friend.
    I am getting it on Direct Tv channel 612..

Duke a lot - Pitt a lot less. LGD GTHc!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

One of the Turk uncles had Pitt season tix for years and he was very tempted to come on down for the game after their UCF win. Alas, he couldn't talk any of his crew into the trip. It would have been a good time. I will instead do a bunch of trash-texting from home.

I do think Pitt +5 is too high; if I was a cold-hearted pie seeker, I would take the points. +3.5 feels about right to me.

Jim Sumner looks at depth with Brittain Brown out for the season:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...avid-cutcliffe
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post

The lack of depth issues always seem to crop up for Duke. A long term injury to either Jackson or Harris could be a disaster. Hope Cut can get comfortable with one of the freshmen rbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post

Very good article. It just reinforces what separates next-level programs from Duke right now- high quality depth.

A question for Bob Green, who's opinion I value highly, can Duke's O line handle Pitt's D line ? Pitt will send a large package of blitz schemes to confuse line. Do you feel confident Cut can come up with offensive package to counter-act ?
    Thanks in advance.