Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
    I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell

FB: Duke vs. Pitt 10/5 8PM (ACC Network)

Starting the game thread...

Since it's fall break, Duke sent out an email today to season ticket holders, offering four general admission tickets free for the game, to try and fill up the stadium. (Perhaps they lurk here, seeing some of the suggestions to raise attendance!)

Pitt had a close one yesterday against the Blue Hens, although they did not play a number of their starters, including QB Pickett. Of course, Devils are tougher than Hens!

Sagarin would put us about -7 with home advantage. Going to the point of the free ticket promotion, our home/away factor under Cut should be about -7 instead of +3. We need to win home games ca. 1994 and 2013 if we're going to take advantage of the weak Coastal division.

I'll go out on a limb-- I don't think we will give up 484 yards on the ground again. I want to see the injury reports before making a prediction on Friday.

Duke is a 6 points favorite with the Over/Under set at 48 points at VegasInsider.com. Sagarin Ratings have Duke at 41 and Pitt at 59. ESPN Football Power Index (FPI) gives Duke a 73.7% chance to win the game.

The fans need to fill Wallace Wade Stadium and make noise! This is a huge opportunity to create an electric atmosphere at a big night game.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Duke is a 6 points favorite with the Over/Under set at 48 points at VegasInsider.com. Sagarin Ratings have Duke at 41 and Pitt at 59. ESPN Football Power Index (FPI) gives Duke a 73.7% chance to win the game.

The fans need to fill Wallace Wade Stadium and make noise! This is a huge opportunity to create an electric atmosphere at a big night game.
    Weather prediction is for good weather and no sun at all by game time. A light jacket may be needed. Should be a great evening to watch a college football game IN PERSON!

Happy birthday, Duke Stadium (aka Wallace Wade)

October 5, 1929 - October 5, 2019 ... 90 and never looked better ... Pitt the opponent both times ...

Duke is a 6 points favorite ... Sagarin Ratings have Duke at 41 and Pitt at 59 ...
    And Duke is 6 points better in the SRS -- funny how that works. SRS has Duke #35 and Pitt at #60.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...9-ratings.html

Our D is fast -- we won't give up the points like we did last year in Pittsburgh.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post

Since it's fall break, Duke sent out an email today to season ticket holders, offering four general admission tickets free for the game, to try and fill up the stadium. (Perhaps they lurk here, seeing some of the suggestions to raise attendance!)

Pitt had a close one yesterday against the Blue Hens, although they did not play a number of their starters, including QB Pickett. Of course, Devils are tougher than Hens!
    I didn't receive one .
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I didn't receive one .
    I did.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    I didn't receive one .
    Doesn’t seem to matter, as the online system isn’t allowing you to order the tickets.

I plan on being there. Let's fill Wade up with Duke Blue! Let's help them get 4-1. Let's get it.

[QUOTE=DU82;1187579]Starting the game thread...

I’m willing to trade beer at the tailgate for a ticket

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    Weather prediction is for good weather and no sun at all by game time. A light jacket may be needed. Should be a great evening to watch a college football game IN PERSON!
    If we have sun at 8 P.M. in October, I'm going to lead with that.

Doesn’t seem to matter, as the online system isn’t allowing you to order the tickets.
    My wife got the email earlier today. She'll try to order tix tonight or tomorrow.

Saw Pitt play in person when they lost a close one to Penn State. A few observations:

The QB Kenny Pickett is good (he was held out for the Delaware game but I assume he'll play Saturday); he is an accurate passer who moves around very well; he can run on occasion, but mainly he is good at evading pressure in the pocket and continuing to look downfield. Pickett has good size at 6'2" and 225# and is not easy to bring down. They have 2 very good WRs in Taysir Mack and Maurice Ffrench (actual spelling). Decent running backs, but not the big power back like James Conner who gave Duke fits.

Pitt is not particularly good in the red zone. They outgained Penn State but scored just 1 Touchdown, with 2 possessions near the goal line resulting in 4 downs and out and a missed chip shot FG. They do play well in a field position sense; move the ball well and have a good punter. Duke is apt to start drives from deep in our own territory, which we saw in the 1st quarter vs VaTech, and is not an easy way to proceed.

Like previous Pitt teams, they are physical. I'd put their playing style somewhere between chippy and dirty. A closely officiated game would not be in their favor IMO.

On defense, they are aggressive. Like to play man-to-man coverage with the corners and blitz frequently. The key to their defense is good play by their two safeties, Paris Ford and Damar Hamlin; they cover well and also support their run defense.

Opportunities for Duke -- I could see Quentin Harris being a major weapon with his running. With their blitzing and defensive backs playing tight coverage with their backs frequently turned away from the line of scrimmage, there can be some running lanes for chunks of yardage on designed runs and scrambles.

Should be a closely contested game. I think Duke has enough offensive weapons to score 20 to 25 points and get the win.

[QUOTE=accfanfrom1970;1187634]

I’m willing to trade beer at the tailgate for a ticket
    PM or text me tomorrow. Mrs. dd got the email earlier today and we'll try ordering 2-4 tix tonight or tomorrow and, if successful and they're free, I'll entertain charging you a very, very small sipping fee .

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Saw Pitt play in person when they lost a close one to Penn State. A few observations:

The QB Kenny Pickett is good (he was held out for the Delaware game but I assume he'll play Saturday); he is an accurate passer who moves around very well; he can run on occasion, but mainly he is good at evading pressure in the pocket and continuing to look downfield. Pickett has good size at 6'2" and 225# and is not easy to bring down. They have 2 very good WRs in Taysir Mack and Maurice Ffrench (actual spelling). Decent running backs, but not the big power back like James Conner who gave Duke fits.

Pitt is not particularly good in the red zone. They outgained Penn State but scored just 1 Touchdown, with 2 possessions near the goal line resulting in 4 downs and out and a missed chip shot FG. They do play well in a field position sense; move the ball well and have a good punter. Duke is apt to start drives from deep in our own territory, which we saw in the 1st quarter vs VaTech, and is not an easy way to proceed.

Like previous Pitt teams, they are physical. I'd put their playing style somewhere between chippy and dirty. A closely officiated game would not be in their favor IMO.

On defense, they are aggressive. Like to play man-to-man coverage with the corners and blitz frequently. The key to their defense is good play by their two safeties, Paris Ford and Damar Hamlin; they cover well and also support their run defense.

Opportunities for Duke -- I could see Quentin Harris being a major weapon with his running. With their blitzing and defensive backs playing tight coverage with their backs frequently turned away from the line of scrimmage, there can be some running lanes for chunks of yardage on designed runs and scrambles.

Should be a closely contested game. I think Duke has enough offensive weapons to score 20 to 25 points and get the win.
    Nice preview! Ha! We've scored 45 and 55 in recent years and still lost .

Nice preview! Ha! We've scored 45 and 55 in recent years and still lost .
    The first two shootouts were under Paul Chryst. Under Narduzzi:
    2015: 13-31. Anything post-Miami gets * with me.
    2016: 14-56. We didn't get off the Mt. Washington incline (fun way to pass time pregame). This was also 1 week after Pitt beat Clemson.
    2017: 17-24. We wore down in the 4th quarter. We were ahead 17-7 at the very end of the third. Pitt finished the game with 3 consecutive scores and a victory formation.
    2018: 45-54. Injuries were a factor, but we wore down in the 4th quarter. We were ahead 42-35 to start the 4th. Pitt finished the game with 6 consecutive scores and a safety.

My take here is that we probably need a 21-3 or 24-7 lead at the start of the 4th. Our defense has done pretty well in this department recently. Both MTSU and VT didn't score a TD until the game was mostly decided. Similarly, this offense answered back immediately when MTSU and VT did score their first TD.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post

good preview! they looked pretty solid vs Penn State, but could not overcome Narduzzi's brain fart when they went for a FG with fourth down on the one yard line (they missed)...their lines have a way of outplaying ours, we'll have to be stouter in that area this year. It will be fun to be there without a sun hat.

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    The first two shootouts were under Paul Chryst. Under Narduzzi:
    2015: 13-31. Anything post-Miami gets * with me.
    2016: 14-56. We didn't get off the Mt. Washington incline (fun way to pass time pregame). This was also 1 week after Pitt beat Clemson.
    2017: 17-24. We wore down in the 4th quarter. We were ahead 17-7 at the very end of the third. Pitt finished the game with 3 consecutive scores and a victory formation.
    2018: 45-54. Injuries were a factor, but we wore down in the 4th quarter. We were ahead 42-35 to start the 4th. Pitt finished the game with 6 consecutive scores and a safety.

My take here is that we probably need a 21-3 or 24-7 lead at the start of the 4th. Our defense has done pretty well in this department recently. Both MTSU and VT didn't score a TD until the game was mostly decided. Similarly, this offense answered back immediately when MTSU and VT did score their first TD.
    Thanks for compiling the above results! We musta forgot 2016 was supposed to be a shoot-out, too, and just rolled over and played dead .

I actually looked at airfare and thought about flying in that afternoon and out early the next morning. Then I remembered how old I was and started thinking better of the idea.