Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Matt Luke hired as OL Coach at Georgia so another pipe dream up in smoke. I fear we are looking at the Zac Roper era continuing.
    In my pipe dreams, Cut goes outside his coaching tree for a fresh new approach to the offense.

Matt Luke hired as OL Coach at Georgia so another pipe dream up in smoke. I fear we are looking at the Zac Roper era continuing.
    I'm afraid the nightmare will continue. Maybe I'll wake up and Zac is the new OC over the hill in Cheatville. We wouldn't have to worry about the cheats knowing our plays because they don't work anyway. GoDuke!

Grasping at straws moment -- is it possible that Cut is talking to someone, but waiting until after they finish with their bowl-eligible team? Thus also giving Roper some time to find a soft landing?

I feel like this is the "disbelief" or "bargaining" stage of my grief cycle. Acceptance may come hard absent some idea that things will improve.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Grasping at straws moment -- is it possible that Cut is talking to someone, but waiting until after they finish with their bowl-eligible team? Thus also giving Roper some time to find a soft landing?

I feel like this is the "disbelief" or "bargaining" stage of my grief cycle. Acceptance may come hard absent some idea that things will improve.
    That could be the case. Coach Cut is loyal to his staff and he may want Roper to find his next job before he's fired. You and I may both be in the disbelief or bargaining stage of our grief cycle. In any case, I hope Cut is not loyal to the detriment of the team.
    GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by rtnorthrup View Post
    In my pipe dreams, Cut goes outside his coaching tree for a fresh new approach to the offense.
    I don’t disagree with you but at this point I just want to see someone new as the OC.
    Bob Green

Anything is possible. I think I read somewhere that Cut wants to go back to an early Spring Football period. If he is going to maybe staff changes I would hope they are done prior to spring practice.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    That could be the case. Coach Cut is loyal to his staff and he may want Roper to find his next job before he's fired. You and I may both be in the disbelief or bargaining stage of our grief cycle. In any case, I hope Cut is not loyal to the detriment of the team.
    GoDuke!
    I have the same hope, and no reason to believe that he does not have the best interests of the team as his prime goal. If he keeps someone despite the protests of us fans, I would imagine it is because Cut thinks the guy can get it done -- our disagreement notwithstanding.

I have the same hope, and no reason to believe that he does not have the best interests of the team as his prime goal. If he keeps someone despite the protests of us fans, I would imagine it is because Cut thinks the guy can get it done -- our disagreement notwithstanding.
    Or he doesn’t think it’s worth the trouble/pain to do anything. Hope that’s not the case, but it’s not like he’s under pressure to win and may feel Roper is as good as anyone else available.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by rtnorthrup View Post
    Exactly. I keep seeing familiar names tossed out as possible replacements, but I'm not on board with that at all. This ain't basketball where coaching trees are far more close knit. Get a coach that excites you, not one that makes you feel the most comfortable.

I fear we are looking at Roper again for the sole reason that he is still there. The time to make the move is drifting past, and quickly.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Or he doesn’t think it’s worth the trouble/pain to do anything. Hope that’s not the case, but it’s not like he’s under pressure to win and may feel Roper is as good as anyone else available.
    True, although I don’t get the sense that Cut rolls like that. I don’t discount your point, though, that entropy is a damn powerful force in the universe. Plus, a body at rest tends to stay at rest and all.

I can’t find it now, but after the Miami game, someone posted that Cut said something to the effect that he had a discussion with his staff prior to the game about the importance of throwing the ball downfield more, and that they had listened.

My fear is that Cut thinks this one-time improvement in play calling is a long term improvement, and that no changes to the staff are necessary. I hope my fears are wrong, and some changes are made.

It’s terribly concerning that it took so many weeks of bad offensive showings for that conversation to happen. I’d love to understand what adjustments the coaching staff thought they were making in prior weeks, because to my admittedly untrained eye, it looked like we were stubbornly running the same game plan until the Miami game.

I don’t disagree with you but at this point I just want to see someone new as the OC.
    It's a darn shame that Peyton is so busy with those insurance commercials.

I might be taking next year off. Duke Football has definitely fallen from priority status (as it has been for basically my entire adult life) to "if I have the time and energy" status. The best thing I've seen at Duke in the last 4 years is the A&T halftime show. Luckily, my family is also big into Duke (including football) so I don't (usually) have to choose between the two, but my enthusiasm which included breathlessly following the gamecast for the Northwestern game in 2007 before everything was streamed online has officially been dampened.

I the same hope and beliefs, but attending Duke football games hasn't been fun for years. You either have to win, play exciting games, or play an exciting brand of football. Duke is opting for none of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I might be taking next year off. Duke Football has definitely fallen from priority status (as it has been for basically my entire adult life) to "if I have the time and energy" status. The best thing I've seen at Duke in the last 4 years is the A&T halftime show. Luckily, my family is also big into Duke (including football) so I don't (usually) have to choose between the two, but my enthusiasm which included breathlessly following the gamecast for the Northwestern game in 2007 before everything was streamed online has officially been dampened.
    So, one season with more than 4 wins in 18 years and averaging about a win a year for about a decade didn’t stop you, but 3 bowl wins in 4 years and barely missing a bowl in the 4th year, after losing a first round QB, has you swearing off Duke football?

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    So, one season with more than 4 wins in 18 years and averaging about a win a year for about a decade didn’t stop you, but 3 bowl wins in 4 years and barely missing a bowl in the 4th year, after losing a first round QB, has you swearing off Duke football?
    Bowl games aren't played at home. I care that we make bowl games, sure, but it doesn't factor in to whether attending home games is a worthwhile experience. I'll still go when the crew is going, but I'm just not sure I have it in me to push people to go when they otherwise wouldn't anymore. It would be like encouraging people to watch the Star Wars Holiday Special. Irresponsible and borderline abusive behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    Apples and hamburger steak.....it used to be going to a bowl meant a very successful season...bowls were relatively rare. Now going to a minor bowl is the barely acceptable level...thus now missing a bowl means a horrible season. "Barely missing a bowl" as a description for this year is taking rose colored glasses to an entirely new level.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I the same hope and beliefs, but attending Duke football games hasn't been fun for years. You either have to win, play exciting games, or play an exciting brand of football. Duke is opting for none of the above.
    I am in a similar boat, except that being in Texas I’m picking one game to come back for. I was lucky to be there for the Ga Tech game that kickstarted the season-ending winning streak in the weird 4-0, 0-6, 3-0 2017 season. The odds are now far better that I’ll be attending a dud of a home game, however.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Apples and hamburger steak....it used to be going to a bowl meant a very successful season...bowls were relatively rare. Now going to a minor bowl is the barely acceptable level...thus now missing a bowl means a horrible season. "Barely missing a bowl" as a description for this year is taking rose colored glasses to an entirely new level.
    We only won more than 4 games once in 18 years and averaged about a win a year for about a decade. We wouldn't have been making bowl games by any standard. I get that being mediocre to just pretty good may not excite enough people, but I don't see how one says he or she has been a die hard Duke football fan for decades but the last 4 years have suddenly become too much to bear.