Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    NCSU is looking for a new DC; they just fired Huxtable. I don't know how Doeren's seat is doing, but it has to be getting pretty warm. Apparently not warm enough, but I'd imagine that 2020 will be his last without some success.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

If Southern Cal fires Clay Helton, will they talk Urban Meyer out of retirement ? Will Helton return to Duke ?

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    If Southern Cal fires Clay Helton, will they talk Urban Meyer out of retirement ? Will Helton return to Duke ?
    I can't imagine Meyer wants a piece of USC. They would have to pay up big time to lure him from his cushy broadcast gig into that mess.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    NCSU is looking for a new DC; they just fired Huxtable. I don't know how Doeren's seat is doing, but it has to be getting pretty warm. Apparently not warm enough, but I'd imagine that 2020 will be his last without some success.
    I just figured out that he had two back to back nine win seasons before this year. Not sure why I thought they hadn't done nearly that well. Maybe it's just because the Raleigh fan base can be extra sensitive when it comes to success. ;p
    Anyway, with that record, I can't imagine Doeren going anywhere anytime soon, even if next year is a bust, too.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I just figured out that he had two back to back nine win seasons before this year. Not sure why I thought they hadn't done nearly that well. Maybe it's just because the Raleigh fan base can be extra sensitive when it comes to success. ;p
    Anyway, with that record, I can't imagine Doeren going anywhere anytime soon, even if next year is a bust, too.
    Doeren success largely due to Drinkwitz, his OC until this year. When Drink moved to Happy Appy, the State offensive execution not happy.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    ... When Drink moved to Happy Appy, the State offensive execution not happy.
    It got crappy snappy?

Out West

Quote Originally Posted by wsb3 View Post
    UDub coach Petersen had a 54-26 record, two conference titles and one CFP appearance. Previously coached at Boise State.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    UDub coach Petersen had a 54-26 record, two conference titles and one CFP appearance. Previously coached at Boise State.
    Maybe he got a phone call from David Tepper.

Maybe he got a phone call from David Tepper.
    Petersen is taking an administrative position with UW. He is stepping down from coaching due to burnout.
    Bob Green

The importance of coordinators and at USC

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Doeren success largely due to Drinkwitz, his OC until this year. When Drink moved to Happy Appy, the State offensive execution not happy.
    Coordinators are very important in today's college football.

At USC some fans are glued to the Internet expecting news on Helton. It would seem that if Helton was keeping his job, USC could announce it. Speculation is that they are negotiating the exit package for him and his assistants. Or it could be the they are giving Helton an ultimatum to fire the DC and STC or else he goes. Or maybe trying to line up a replacement before canning Helton. Who knows?

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    It was time for him to retire ...

Not so sure

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    It was time for him to retire ...
    Petersen is only 55 years old. Probably burned out now but I would not be surprised if he is coaching somewhere in a year or two.

Who knows, he may be coming to USC.

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    Petersen is only 55 years old. Probably burned out now but I would not be surprised if he is coaching somewhere in a year or two.

Who knows, he may be coming to USC.

SoCal
    Forgot my sarcasm emoji, a play on the suggestion Cut should retire after turning the Duke program around.

Greg Schiano back to Rutgers.

Greg Schiano back to Rutgers.
    Sounds like they had to make a bunch of commitments to bring him back (salary upgrades for assistants, facility upgrades, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Sounds like they had to make a bunch of commitments to bring him back (salary upgrades for assistants, facility upgrades, etc).
    They were having detailed conversations with him, they fell through, lots of people raised a huge stink (including former Duke beat writer Steve Politi and politicians I believe up to and including the governor), and they made nice with Schiano and made it work. Now he has to build around a relatively bare cupboard, though NJ typically has a surprisingly good talent pool and he has the full endorsement of the state's HS coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    They were having detailed conversations with him, they fell through, lots of people raised a huge stink (including former Duke beat writer Steve Politi and politicians I believe up to and including the governor), and they made nice with Schiano and made it work. Now he has to build around a relatively bare cupboard, though NJ typically has a surprisingly good talent pool and he has the full endorsement of the state's HS coaches.
    as an aside, I'm disappointed Duke no longer recruits NJ as successfully as we once did...as you say, LOTS of talent there, with good academics, and Duke is a known entity.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    From what I heard it was the AD Hobbs didn't really want Schiano. He originally was even going to interview him till a lot of Alums with money and power complained. Then when Hobbs made the negotiations difficult and leaked stuff that I heard wasn't totally true the Alums threatened to withhold their checkbooks and and walk away. Plus a bunch of the previous players under Schiano weren't very happy and voiced it as well. They're was a great opinion piece by Eric Lagrande that was published about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    You know, the thing about Rutgers is that it is "the university of" but due to the odd name, it doesn't have the cache of a state "university of" so it doesn't have the inherent advantages, or so it appears.

Of course, maybe, the U of New Jersey wouldn't have cache anyway. If the stadium is downwind of Camden, that'll hurt attendance.