Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell

NCAA Football Coaching Carousel 2019

Rutgers has fired head coach Chris Ash, and OC John McNulty. They've promoted Tight Ends coach Nunzio Campanile as interim HC through the end of the year.

The fan base really wants Greg Schiano to return them to their "glory" days of the mid 2000s. Schiano quit as a Pats assistant a couple of weeks into his stint. Rumors have it that he and Belichick agreed to Schiano leaving after he indicated that he would likely want to take the Rutgers job after the college season (while the NFL season was still going strong.)

The Rutgers cry for Schiano reminds me of the WBB cry for 12 years to get Coach G back. The second time rarely works out great.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    ... The second time rarely works out great.
    Mitch Daniels disagrees.

How many second acts have there been? Bill Walsh at Stanford. Joe Gibbs w/ Redskins (and 2 playoff seasons in 4 years w/ Dan Snyder is more of an accomplishment than 4 SBowl appearances in 12 years w/ Jack Kent Cooke (and no salary cap)). Does Bobby Cremins count? Wonder how Mack will make out (so far, so good, it seems). And every movie under the sun is a remake so somebody is getting paid ...

The second time rarely works out great.
    Let’s hope that’s the case over at the Dump.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Mitch Daniels disagrees.

How many second acts have there been? Bill Walsh at Stanford. Joe Gibbs w/ Redskins (and 2 playoff seasons in 4 years w/ Dan Snyder is more of an accomplishment than 4 SBowl appearances in 12 years w/ Jack Kent Cooke (and no salary cap)). Does Bobby Cremins count? Wonder how Mack will make out (so far, so good, it seems). And every movie under the sun is a remake so somebody is getting paid ...
    And don’t forget the late Billy Martin. He had second, third, fourth and more acts.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    And don’t forget the late Billy Martin. He had second, third, fourth and more acts.
    And didn’t win again.

Talking Snyders

As for successful second acts in college coaching, Bill ("Don't call me Dan") Snyder had a pretty fair second run at K-State, following a great first stint there.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytoc View Post
    As for successful second acts in college coaching, Bill ("Don't call me Dan") Snyder had a pretty fair second run at K-State, following a great first stint there.
    Great guy that taught Sunday School at my church told the kids that Bill Snyder was always an acceptable answer in class.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Great guy that taught Sunday School at my church told the kids that Bill Snyder was always an acceptable answer in class.
    Wait, what? I'm not sure I see the practical application here.

Q: "Who betrayed Jesus with a kiss?"
    A: "Bill Snyder!"

I guess that's one way to keep the kids paying attention...

Rutgers has fired head coach Chris Ash, and OC John McNulty. They've promoted Tight Ends coach Nunzio Campanile as interim HC through the end of the year.

The fan base really wants Greg Schiano to return them to their "glory" days of the mid 2000s. Schiano quit as a Pats assistant a couple of weeks into his stint. Rumors have it that he and Belichick agreed to Schiano leaving after he indicated that he would likely want to take the Rutgers job after the college season (while the NFL season was still going strong.)

The Rutgers cry for Schiano reminds me of the WBB cry for 12 years to get Coach G back. The second time rarely works out great.
    When Schiano coached Tampa Bay, he was run out of town for being a bullying egomaniac. I'm guessing Schiano "quit" the Pats after he found out Belicheat wouldn't put up with his nonsense. I wouldn't want my kid playing for Schiano.

Gossip in Pittsburgh is that Rutgers wants to see if they can pry Narduzzi from Pitt because "the Big Ten, duh." Good luck with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    When Schiano coached Tampa Bay, he was run out of town for being a bullying egomaniac. I'm guessing Schiano "quit" the Pats after he found out Belicheat wouldn't put up with his nonsense. I wouldn't want my kid playing for Schiano.

Gossip in Pittsburgh is that Rutgers wants to see if they can pry Narduzzi from Pitt because "the Big Ten, duh." Good luck with that.
    Ha, Rutgers must have seen Narduzzi totally botch the Penn State game by going for a FG from the one yard line (down 7) and figure "this is our guy."

Wait, what? I'm not sure I see the practical application here.

Q: "Who betrayed Jesus with a kiss?"
    A: "Bill Snyder!"

I guess that's one way to keep the kids paying attention...
    It really annoyed some folks when we had a Bible Trivia event (fundraiser for mission trip) and the question asked was "According to Mark ***, what is always an acceptable answer?" Most of the kids on the teams had been in his class at one time so they knew but the all adult teams were mostly clueless.

What I get from reading on the Rutgers forums is that since they're "the birthplace", they have delusions of being this great athletic program and anybody should be lucky to work/play for them, except for the 1-bad administration and 2-evil sports writers who hate RU. The reality is that they're one of the worst programs overall in the Power Five. I did see one recent article that, based on results, Pitt was at the bottom, but Rutgers was either next or third from the bottom.

(One niece works for RU, and another used to, so I get some inside info on occasion.)

BC Fires Addazio

Steve Addazio fired by Boston College after seven seasons -- 44-44 overall, 22-34 in the ACC. He had previously been head coach at Temple.

BC was 4-4 in the ACC this year and 6-6 overall. Only one conference loss by more than seven points (Clemson, natch). Worst loss? To Kansas at home, 48-24.

Some sentiment that AD Martin Jarmond (ex-hoopster at UNC-W) and Father Leahy, president, were thinking of making a change a year ago.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Per Twitter, Matt Luke will be fired by Ole Miss.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Per Twitter, Matt Luke will be fired by Ole Miss.
    Would love to welcome him back as OC/OL Coach.

Here's a tracker: https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...hires-changes/

Had missed the Bob Davie news.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I was thinking the same thing.

In related news, Muschamp demoted one and fired two assistants at SC.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I was thinking the same thing.

In related news, Muschamp demoted one and fired two assistants at SC.
    Tom Herman at Texas (7-5 in 2019) did something similar, firing his defensive coordinator and two of the passing game/receivers coaches.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    yes, that would be a VERY good move, though I am not optimistic.
    It would also enable Luke to grab another HC job in the future if he put in some good years at Duke...

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    yes, that would be a VERY good move, though I am not optimistic.
    It would also enable Luke to grab another HC job in the future if he put in some good years at Duke...
    Get him now, and he takes over when Cut retires.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."