Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Tre - 31
    Hurt - 26
    Carey - 24
    Jordan/AOC/Baker/Moore/Stanley/Jack/Javin - 17

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Well, we've seen plenty of guys who shot well in high school, or can theoretically shoot, who just don't get it done in college games. I'm talking about guys who can take the pressure and produce.
    I don't know that we have. At least *I* can't name plenty off the top of my head. If someone has the stats and the reputation, I'm very comfortable they'll shoot well in college. (Some players have only the rep but not the good shooting stats e.g. Reddish).

In any case, I really wish you were correct in your original post. Unfortunately, I think Coach K knows Joey Baker can shoot in college games but I also don't think it's any sort of guarantee of playing time. (And if so, it's possible Coach K is wrong on this one. Maybe Joey should be force-fed minutes).

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    I don't know that we have. At least *I* can't name plenty off the top of my head. If someone has the stats and the reputation, I'm very comfortable they'll shoot well in college. (Some players have only the rep but not the good shooting stats e.g. Reddish).

In any case, I really wish you were correct in your original post. Unfortunately, I think Coach K knows Joey Baker can shoot in college games but I also don't think it's any sort of guarantee of playing time. (And if so, it's possible Coach K is wrong on this one. Maybe Joey should be force-fed minutes).
    The only one that comes to mind immediately is freshman year Kennard.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Never too soon. Coach K is a legend, but I'm sure even he'll admit it was a dumb idea to pull that redshirt. Especially if Baker doesn't play much this year.
    Semi-shocked that there has not been any antipathy towards this statement. As I recall last year when it happened, there were a surprising number (to me) of those that vigorously defended the move - even AFTER the results were known. Maybe those folks aren't checking in? Or maybe they've backed off that stance.

K is a great, GREAT coach. CERTAINLY in the argument for greatest of all time (with a rather strong argument for it). The idea that you can't critique anything he does, or that he is beyond the ability to make a mistake/error though? Treating players/coaches as infallible gods is one of the uglier sides of homerism/fandom in sports.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    This can of worms already was opened a bit in the thread on Tre Jones' feature in the Athletic, which included quotes that one could interpret as possibly indicating that maybe this is the prophesied year where Coach K plays a consistent 8-9 man rotation (and also hell freezes over, pigs fly, and... no, no, this is a legitimate topic Scott, focus!).
    Nine guys played at least 12 minutes against Kansas.

As far as I can tell, before last night, Duke had played 423 games decided by less than 15 points since the 1997-98 season. Only twice over these 423 games did Duke have 9 guys with at least 12 minutes played (a 4 point wins vs UVA on Jan 13, 2014 and a 4 point loss vs Clemson on March 15, 2008).

Last night's game also marks only the 7th time in 773 games decided by less than 15 points since Coach K arrived where Duke had 9 guys play 12 or more minutes.

I don't know how often Coach K will go with 9 guys for double digit minutes as the season progresses, but early indications suggest that Coach K is likely to go with a "deeper-than-normal" rotation this year.

Quote Originally Posted by House P View Post
    Nine guys played at least 12 minutes against Kansas.

As far as I can tell, before last night, Duke had played 423 games decided by less than 15 points since the 1997-98 season. Only twice over these 423 games did Duke have 9 guys with at least 12 minutes played (a 4 point wins vs UVA on Jan 13, 2014 and a 4 point loss vs Clemson on March 15, 2008).

Last night's game also marks only the 7th time in 773 games decided by less than 15 points since Coach K arrived where Duke had 9 guys play 12 or more minutes.

I don't know how often Coach K will go with 9 guys for double digit minutes as the season progresses, but early indications suggest that Coach K is likely to go with a "deeper-than-normal" rotation this year.
    I will guess that 9 will get double digit minutes as long as they earn them by being productive.