Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Emmys

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!

    Emmys

    So, you now officially have no excuse not to watch the brilliant and biting Fleabag.

    If anyone on the planet is having a better year than Phoebe Waller-Bridge, I want to meet them. She just won best actress, best writer, and best drama (she is the creator and show runner). Oh, and she wrote the screenplay for Bond 25 which is being filmed right now. So, ummm, yeah 2019 has been good to her.

    Jason “Waller-Bridge also writes and runs Killing Eve and she is doing an HBO series called Run... she may be the busiest and most talented writer/EP in TV today” Evans
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  2. #2
    The elites have such brazen disdain for us. They know we hated Game of Thrones Season 8, so of course GoT gets an Emmy for being the best show. Lol.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    So, you now officially have no excuse not to watch the brilliant and biting Fleabag.

    If anyone on the planet is having a better year than Phoebe Waller-Bridge, I want to meet them. She just won best actress, best writer, and best drama (she is the creator and show runner). Oh, and she wrote the screenplay for Bond 25 which is being filmed right now. So, ummm, yeah 2019 has been good to her.

    Jason “Waller-Bridge also writes and runs Killing Eve and she is doing an HBO series called Run... she may be the busiest and most talented writer/EP in TV today” Evans
    She obliterated the fourth wall in Fleabag. Summer TV is so bad that I went looking for options and thought I would give it a try. After episode one left me with my mouth hanging open because of her stark frankness, I couldn't get enough. It is not for everyone, but for those that enjoy having their boundaries stretched it is genius.

    I also enjoy The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and was happy to see Tony Shaloub win best supporting actor.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    The elites have such brazen disdain for us. They know we hated Game of Thrones Season 8, so of course GoT gets an Emmy for being the best show. Lol.
    I'm confused, they never filmed season 8!!!? They stopped at Season 7. One die-hard fan has continued on with take on what a season 8 should look like if they ever decided to make it. She's almost done with Episode 10, but hasn't posted an update since July. I hope the lawyers haven't gotten to her!

    https://www.aliceshipwise.com/gameof...lty_part1.html

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    She obliterated the fourth wall in Fleabag. Summer TV is so bad that I went looking for options and thought I would give it a try. After episode one left me with my mouth hanging open because of her stark frankness, I couldn't get enough. It is not for everyone, but for those that enjoy having their boundaries stretched it is genius.

    I also enjoy The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and was happy to see Tony Shaloub win best supporting actor.
    Just read that Alex Borstein won best supporting actress in a comedy as well for Maisel while I was watching football.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    Just read that Alex Borstein won best supporting actress in a comedy as well for Maisel while I was watching football.
    Best acceptance speech of the night as she told the story of her Grandmother escaping the death camps of the Holocaust.
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  7. #7
    I'm so glad that Bill Hader and Barry got the recognition it deserves. Cannot wait for season 3 and what happens with Cousineau.
    ~rthomas

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    I was pulling for Duke grad Jared Harris. He didn't win in the individual category but Chernobyl did win Best Limited Series. Can't say I disagree with the results (in either category), but I was still pulling for Jared.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Skinker-DeBaliviere, Saint Louis
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    So, you now officially have no excuse not to watch the brilliant and biting Fleabag.

    If anyone on the planet is having a better year than Phoebe Waller-Bridge, I want to meet them.
    I'm sure she's great, but the Emmys are a verrry very long way from dictating what I do/don't have excuses to watch/not watch. I read the ratings for it were shockingly low, even for these new media environment days.

    I do still pay a vague amount of attention to the Oscars, in that I go to my same friend's house every year for the telecast. But that's because I love her, not because I love the Oscars. A couple years ago I told my students I was going to an Oscars watch party, and they looked at me like I'd said I was riding my penny-farthing to a county fair.

    A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert


    Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Skinker-DeBaliviere, Saint Louis
    BWAHAHAHA, The Emmys messed up and aired a picture of Leonard Slatkin--not merely alive but still conducting concerts--when including Andre Previn in their In Memoriam.

    So Jimmy Kimmel interviewed Slatkin.

    I know Slatkin isn't orignally from Saint Louis, but he's more associated with this orchestra than any other, and has been at least guest conducting it for fifty years. So this article has an amusing StL-Dangerfield angle to it as well.

    A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert


    Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •