Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021
    Kevin Streelman plays the front nine in -1 to move up to T58. I’m afraid Friday’s 80 will be too much to overcome. Streelman is going to be on the outside looking in for the Tour Championship next week.
    Bob Green

Streelman is still -1 through 15, but he has moved up 7 places because most of the competition are over par for the day. I'm not an expert on the FedEx point system, but I'd guess there still might be an outside chance? Long is three over through 14 and most probably out of the finals.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    Streelman is still -1 through 15, but he has moved up 7 places because most of the competition are over par for the day. I'm not an expert on the FedEx point system, but I'd guess there still might be an outside chance? Long is three over through 14 and most probably out of the finals.
    PGA has projected Fedex standings based on current “live” play. Our 2 golfers are 32 and 33 with #31 in reach. However, Billy Herschel at #30 is substantially ahead of #31 and would need to collapse today (it is possible, but unlikely since Streelman and Long are well into their rounds). I’m obviously bored today.

So, you have to be in the top 30 in a tournament to add points? If that's true, I think I finally get why it is that neither Adam or Kevin have a realistic chance here. The only remote chance is for someone currently in the top 30 (based on current standing in this tournament) to throw a wheel and come unglued (as Arnie mentioned).

Streelman's tournament: 76-80-66-69. That's the kind of score spread I'm capable of throwing out ... if you add 15 to each one. A 14 stroke improvement from one round to the next has got to be fairly close to the PGA record, whatever that is (it's not listed on the PGA Tour records page ... but Kevin still owns the record for most consecutive closing birdies to win, with Mike Souchak still second on that list).

Adam Long finishes strong, 3 birdies in his last 5 holes to finish 1 over for the day.

So, you have to be in the top 30 in a tournament to add points?
    No. The higher you finish the more points you earn.

https://www.pgatour.com/fedexcup/fed...-playoffs.html
    Bob Green

So, you have to be in the top 30 in a tournament to add points? If that's true, I think I finally get why it is that neither Adam or Kevin have a realistic chance here. The only remote chance is for someone currently in the top 30 (based on current standing in this tournament) to throw a wheel and come unglued (as Arnie mentioned).

Streelman's tournament: 76-80-66-69. That's the kind of score spread I'm capable of throwing out ... if you add 15 to each one. A 14 stroke improvement from one round to the next has got to be fairly close to the PGA record, whatever that is (it's not listed on the PGA Tour records page ... but Kevin still owns the record for most consecutive closing birdies to win, with Mike Souchak still second on that list).
    Points go all the way to the bottom of this field. Based on current standings,

Streels is at 941
    Adam Long is at 949
    Cameron Champ is at 963
    (All are finished

The most vulnerable, paradoxically, is Adam Scott, who is T3. He only started wtih 741 points. He needs to be at least 12th to get to 940 points. T12 is now +3, and Adam is at +1.

Billy Horschel at +5 needs at least 47 points, which is now at +8.

Anyway, either Dukie getting in looks like a long shot, but Adam is ahead of Kevin in FedEx points, which is unlikely to change. Lesson here is that there are not many points for finishing 50th.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Points go all the way to the bottom of this field. Based on current standings,

Streels is at 941
    Adam Long is at 949
    Cameron Champ is at 963
    (All are finished

The most vulnerable, paradoxically, is Adam Scott, who is T3. He only started wtih 741 points. He needs to be at least 12th to get to 940 points. T12 is now +3, and Adam is at +1.

Billy Horschel at +5 needs at least 47 points, which is now at +8.

Anyway, either Dukie getting in looks like a long shot, but Adam is ahead of Kevin in FedEx points, which is unlikely to change. Lesson here is that there are not many points for finishing 50th.
    Interesting, and McKenzie Hughes is another that has tentatively “earned” lots of points - if he fades could easily finish behind Long/Streelman. Also, Herschel has already dropped out of Top 30. Anyway, we might not know until near tourney end.

So, you have to be in the top 30 in a tournament to add points?.
    No, you have to be in the top 30 to make it into the field for next week's tournament.

As for massive score swings from one day to the next, when I was 17 I played in a 36-hole tournament. My scores were 99 and 79. I got better each nine, and my final nine I was actually one under!

The tournament was flighted after the first 18, so naturally I won my flight, and everybody thought I was a sandbagger. But I actually just played really poorly on the first day.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    No. The higher you finish the more points you earn.

https://www.pgatour.com/fedexcup/fed...-playoffs.html
    Thanks, that helps. And I'm guessing the point system for the regular season is somewhere around a half to a third of the point system in the first two playoff rounds. However you cut it, I'm guessing an online spreadsheet is necessary to keep tally during this round of the impacts of missing or making a single putt. It certainly adds a lot of interest to all levels of the leaderboard in this final qualifier.

Well, pfui ... Horschel finishes one point ahead of Long and is currently in 30th place.

Well, pfui ... Horschel finishes one point ahead of Long and is currently in 30th place.
    Message to Adam and Kevin -- don't finish #56 and #51 in a 70-man tournament in the last qualifier. Really disappointed for the guys. Kevin rallied dramatically, but... that damn 80.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Message to Adam and Kevin -- don't finish #56 and #51 in a 70-man tournament in the last qualifier. Really disappointed for the guys. Kevin rallied dramatically, but... that damn 80.
    Umm, if Hughes bogeys 18, Long is in.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Umm, if Hughes bogeys 18, Long is in.
    Hughes in green side bunker. If he doesn’t get up and down 😀

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Hughes in green side bunker. If he doesn’t get up and down 😀
    Oh well😡😡

Playoffs???

I missed the end, and I did not realize the full scope of disappointment until I saw this on the ESPN web story:
    He <Long> was projected 30th in the FedEx Cup until Corey Conners three-putted from 5 feet for double bogey on the final hole. That allowed Billy Horschel to move up enough spots on the leaderboard to move to the 30th and final spot by three points over Long.
    That is truly heart-breaking.

Pro golf has had some great moments since returning. Just an amazing putt by Dustin Johnson on the 72nd hole to tie for the lead, and then John Rahm sunk an even longer amazing putt to win the playoff.

Sorry the Duke guys couldn't quite make the finals, but they have both had some excellent performances.

I can scarcely imagine how gut-wrenching this all must have been for Adam Long watching from wherever he was watching. To be so close twice and miss both times, once because a guy made a tough putt and once because a guy missed a tough putt.

But I feel worse for Streelman. He's 41 and you just don't know how many more chances he's going to have to go all the way to the end of the Fed-Ex playoffs. Long is 32 and should be at the prime of his career.

Adam Long and Kevin Streelman will compete in the U.S. Open at Winged Foot 17-20 September.
    Bob Green