DBR Podcast #226 - Duke and NBA Protests threaten to shut down sports

https://cms.megaphone.fm/channel/duk...=VMP5752051100

Powerful words and actions from athletes prompt Sam, Donald, and me to sit down for a conversation about the impact of all the protests.

Hope you enjoy it and feel free to give us plenty of feedback.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

that was a great podcast. I can't agree enough that as far as the NBA goes, i fully support whatever the players decide to do. As much as i love the game, the welfare of those who perform for our entertainment must come first. The NPR podcast It's Been a Minute has a wonderful interview with a sports writer who says all of this much better than i can.
    Also, i have to say how proud i am of Duke athletics in general for supporting the BLM rally event, Coach Nolan for his motivation to create the event, Coach K for his words and deep commitment to supporting the welfare and development of players as young men and leaders, and to the players who spoke whose words were powerful.

I wasn't sure which thread in which to post this, but I think here is appropriate. It's the newest, and shortest, and where it most likely be read (until a mod deletes it... although I hope not).

The truest words ever spoken by Trump are "This election will decide the future of the Country".

On to the pressing issue of today, yesterday, two months ago and 300 years ago: Black Lives Matter and systemic racism. I am white, grew up privileged and sheltered from the harshest parts of life. I am a moderate, liberal on some issues and conservative on others and don't support either extreme. I have never considered myself racist - yes, I had a black friend or maybe two as a kid and a few as an adult, and have always considered others as honest, trustworthy and an equal until he or she proved otherwise through their actions, and I'm not talking just about black and white. I never considered myself homophobic, but until I had friends and relatives "come out", I realized I probably was a little bit and didn't want to be, because I liked these people and wanted to continue the normal relationship I had with them, and if two men or two women wanted to get married, that was fine with me. OK, I've digressed. Let me get back on topic.

When John Carlos and Tommy Smith raised their fists on the medal stand in 1968 at the Olympics, I thought "how dumb". When Colin Kaepernick took his knee during the National Anthem, I thought "how dumb" and disrespectful, fire the bum. And lots of other stuff happened, people of color kept getting killed by police and by other white people, and I thought "too bad, that shouldn't have happened" But it didn't sink in and I didn't say or do anything.

And then George Floyd died, on video, with a white cop kneeling on his neck for 8 minutes and 46 seconds with other cops just standing by watching. And the light went on in my head. I understood why Kaepernick kneeled. I understood that true systemic change had to occur - there were, and are, far too many people who are racist, either covert (in the closet) or overt. Too many police are racist, too many judges, too many politicians, too many fiends and neighbors. And then Jacob Blake was shot in the back 7 times as he was getting into his car by another white cop, and it was caught on video. How can this cop be so stupid after all that has happened in the last 3 months? Because he's so racist. That's why.

Peaceful protest is good. Violent riots are terrible, and I believe that most of the violence and looting is intentionally started, provoked by racist anarchist groups who went to the protests to riot, gain publicity and to promote their causes.

If you don't think change needs to happen, that police actions (beating, shooting and killing black people) are justified, then you, my friend, are the problem. (( redacted )) And there are far too many of you. Everywhere, including on this board and even in our tailgate. Please change your mind and your attitude. I'd like to keep you as my friend.

People responded to the video tweets by Duke Mens Basketball of Nolan Smith's, Coach K's and the other players saying they could no longer root for Duke Men's Basketball. Good and good riddance and don't let the door hit you on the I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. on the way out.

As Mike Buckmire's sign so poignantly asked: "Am I next?" I hope no one is next.

(( redacted ))
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 08-30-2020 at 12:18 PM.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I wasn't sure which thread in which to post this, but I think here is appropriate. It's the newest, and shortest, and where it most likely be read (until a mod deletes it... although I hope not).
    Just wanted to say kudos to this post since sporks aren't public.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by jwillfan View Post
    Just wanted to say kudos to this post since sporks aren't public.
    Ozzie got mine as well and I hope the mods leave it up.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."