Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Johnson's shot that barely stayed out of the water was a killer for Streelman.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Johnson's shot that barely stayed out of the water was a killer for Streelman.
    Meh. As it turns out, DJ’s 2nd shot (standing in the water shoeless, with pant-legs rolled up) basically ended up more or less where he would have had to drop. The killer was his flop shot (his 3rd shot) to three feet to save par. His bomb of a drive on 18 didn’t hurt, either.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Good Travelers tournament for Kevin Streelman. He is now #18 on the FedExCup list. Adam Long is #38.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

The real killer was, I think, Streelman's 11th hole. If I remember right, it was the second hole in a row where he all but knocked the pin down with his approach shot. He ran the short putt in on the 10th, but missed on the 11th (I don't remember how badly, it was during a commercial). If there was one shot that determined the outcome, it might well have been that one. Still, an excellent showing after two missed cuts. He also came across well in the final interview.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    The real killer was, I think, Streelman's 11th hole. If I remember right, it was the second hole in a row where he all but knocked the pin down with his approach shot. He ran the short putt in on the 10th, but missed on the 11th (I don't remember how badly, it was during a commercial). If there was one shot that determined the outcome, it might well have been that one. Still, an excellent showing after two missed cuts. He also came across well in the final interview.
    The action seemed to be all with Dustin Johnson. He made three huge mistakes on the back nine -- drive out of bounds on #13 (those RR tracks!), tee shot into the hazard on #14 (barefoot shot!), and sand trap on #16 (lousy sand shot too!). He lost two shots to par on those three holes -- good scrambling; he could easily have lost four shots, which would have given Streels the win.
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

The last few weeks of golf have been wildly entertaining. Maybe because of no sports as competition, but whatever works.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    The action seemed to be all with Dustin Johnson. He made three huge mistakes on the back nine -- drive out of bounds on #13 (those RR tracks!), tee shot into the hazard on #14 (barefoot shot!), and sand trap on #16 (lousy sand shot too!). He lost two shots to par on those three holes -- good scrambling; he could easily have lost four shots, which would have given Streels the win.
    Agreed, although the barefoot shot was at the 294-yard par four 15th.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Agreed, although the barefoot shot was at the 294-yard par four 15th.
    Youa re absolutely right -- his mistakes were at 13, 15, and 16. DJ birdied 14.
    Sage Grouse

While DJ made his share of booboos, he more than overcame them with his otherwise brilliant play (through the whole weekend). He definitely earned the victory.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Good Travelers tournament for Kevin Streelman. He is now #18 on the FedExCup list. Adam Long is #38.
    And Kevin made $806,600 more than I made today.

Streelman is 41. He's not exactly over the hill. But opportunities like this aren't going to come around more than a few times a year and I hate it for him that he wasn't able to fully capitalize.

No fans!

Watching on TV I liked not hearing some of the crowd's stupid yells, "go in", "you da man". etc. I was rooting hard for Kevin but I like DJ and was a win-win for me. Lots of good young players on the tour right now but as Jim said, Kevin is not one of they young guys. Love the PGA.

GoDuke!

Kevin Streelman and Adam Long will be back in action this week at the Workday Charity Open at Muirfield Village in Dublin, OH.

Thursday tee times:

Streelman, 07:34 #1
    Long, 13:21 #1

Interesting that the next two tournaments will both be played at Muirfield. Workday Charity Open will be followed by The Memorial Tournament. I do not recall back-to-back tournaments hosted by the same course before. Another data point that 2020 is strange.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Kevin Streelman and Adam Long will be back in action this week at the Workday Charity Open at Muirfield Village in Dublin, OH.

Thursday tee times:

Streelman, 07:34 #1
    Long, 13:21 #1

Interesting that the next two tournaments will both be played at Muirfield. Workday Charity Open will be followed by The Memorial Tournament. I do not recall back-to-back tournaments hosted by the same course before. Another data point that 2020 is strange.
    Pinehurst says hi. 2014 US Opens (plural).

Not exactly the same because the same players did not play in both tournaments.
    Bob Green

Yup. The men's and then the women's US Opens.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I'd be surprised if there is 100% overlap between the opening fields each of the two weeks at Muirfield, but I have been surprised before . . . .

I'd be surprised if there is 100% overlap between the opening fields each of the two weeks at Muirfield, but I have been surprised before . . . .
    I certainly agree there will not be a 100% overlap but the percentage will be higher than 0, which is what is was at Pinehurst in 2014.
    Bob Green

Here is an article on how Muirfield is approaching hosting back-to-back tournaments:

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/mui...-tour-events-l
    Bob Green

Here is an article on how Muirfield is approaching hosting back-to-back tournaments:

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/mui...-tour-events-l
    My question: How do the members feel about giving up use of their course for 2+ weeks?
    Sage Grouse