Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Some baseball notes
    Thanks, Jim. Pure gold.
    Bob Green

Some baseball notes

Outfielder Chase Cheek is still rehabbing from knee surgery and will miss fall ball. Fingers crossed on spring.

Combined with the graduation of Kennie Taylor and Kyle Gallagher, outfield is a position of concern.

Therefore Duke moved Joey Loperfido to center field. You may recall that he played first base for two seasons and second base last year. Pollard says CF is Loperfido's pro position. Cheek, R.J. Schreck, Bucknell grad-student transfer Luke Hampton, Kyle Salley, Steve Mann, perhaps a freshman or two, are all in the mix.

Duke might look at seeing if 1B/DH Chris Crabtree can play corner OF. A lot depends on how Duke uses Matt Mervis.

Mervis had a great summer at the Cape. He came to Duke as a pitcher/position player, Duke's Brandan McKay. But he's had arm problems and didn't pitch much last season. But he did pitch some this summer, pitched well, no pain. If Mervis is in the rotation, then he likely DHs to save wear and tear. Or he could move back to 1B, where he excelled last season.

Lots of competition for the vacant 2B job. Look for a true freshman to start next spring, perhaps Grant Norris or Thomas Keehn.

Bryce Jarvis will be the Friday starter. Cooper Stinson and Bill Chilliari are the default second and third starters but Duke has more good arms than any time in its history and Jack Carey, Oliver McCarthy, Aaron Beasley and others will get a long look. Pollard is really high on true freshman RHP Henry Williams. A sleeper.

Matt Dockman and Thomas Girard have the back end of the bullpen locked down.

Duke was set to add LHP Josh Simpson as a grad-transfer from Columbia. But the Marlins drafted him in the 32nd round and he signed.

Lots of freshmen pushing the vets for PT, even the returning starters.

Pollard says he's so excited about this team that his assistant coaches are worried about him.
    Quick clarification - Loperfido played one season at 1st base, one season at 2nd base and is a junior now.

Some baseball notes

Outfielder Chase Cheek is still rehabbing from knee surgery and will miss fall ball. Fingers crossed on spring.

Combined with the graduation of Kennie Taylor and Kyle Gallagher, outfield is a position of concern.

Therefore Duke moved Joey Loperfido to center field. You may recall that he played first base for two seasons and second base last year. Pollard says CF is Loperfido's pro position. Cheek, R.J. Schreck, Bucknell grad-student transfer Luke Hampton, Kyle Salley, Steve Mann, perhaps a freshman or two, are all in the mix.

Duke might look at seeing if 1B/DH Chris Crabtree can play corner OF. A lot depends on how Duke uses Matt Mervis.

Mervis had a great summer at the Cape. He came to Duke as a pitcher/position player, Duke's Brandan McKay. But he's had arm problems and didn't pitch much last season. But he did pitch some this summer, pitched well, no pain. If Mervis is in the rotation, then he likely DHs to save wear and tear. Or he could move back to 1B, where he excelled last season.

Lots of competition for the vacant 2B job. Look for a true freshman to start next spring, perhaps Grant Norris or Thomas Keehn.

Bryce Jarvis will be the Friday starter. Cooper Stinson and Bill Chilliari are the default second and third starters but Duke has more good arms than any time in its history and Jack Carey, Oliver McCarthy, Aaron Beasley and others will get a long look. Pollard is really high on true freshman RHP Henry Williams. A sleeper.

Matt Dockman and Thomas Girard have the back end of the bullpen locked down.

Duke was set to add LHP Josh Simpson as a grad-transfer from Columbia. But the Marlins drafted him in the 32nd round and he signed.

Lots of freshmen pushing the vets for PT, even the returning starters.

Pollard says he's so excited about this team that his assistant coaches are worried about him.
    Great summary! Thanks, Jim.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Baseball preview:

https://www.collegebaseball.info/pos...season-preview

Article predicts Duke will make a Super Regional and is a legitimate contender for Omaha.
    Bob Green

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Baseball preview:

https://www.collegebaseball.info/pos...season-preview

Article predicts Duke will make a Super Regional and is a legitimate contender for Omaha.
    Now the whole season is jynxed!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Duke play Coastal Carolina today.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    In Fayetteville...
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Now the whole season is jynxed!
    Not until Duke baseball makes the cover of SI. GoDuke!

Even thought the GoDuke schedule says the first game is against Army at home on February 14?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Even thought the GoDuke schedule says the first game is against Army at home on February 14?
    Fall baseball so basically exhibition games.
    Bob Green

Fall baseball so basically exhibition games.
    You can listen via goduke.com. Duke leads 1-0 in the bottom of the 2nd. Duke lost its first fall exhibition to NCCU. This is its last.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Duke with back to back homers to lead 5-0. OK, I know, it's a football day, no more updates.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Duke with back to back homers to lead 5-0. OK, I know, it's a football day, no more updates.
    Please feel free to update. I can't get the goduke feed, and I'm stuck listening to State-Wake.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Ain't a Duke football day ;p
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Duke still leads Coastal 5-1 in the bottom of the 7th.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Mervis continues his hot fall w/ a 2 run single, 7-1 Duke after 7.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

12-2 in the bottom of the 12th - apparently they will play 16 innings.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Duke won first scrimmage 7-2 and the second 6-1:

https://goduke.com/news/2019/11/3/ba...-carolina.aspx
    Bob Green

Duke won first scrimmage 7-2 and the second 6-1:

https://goduke.com/news/2019/11/3/ba...-carolina.aspx
    Isn't Coastal Carolina usually pretty good? Did they make the tournament last year?

Quote Originally Posted by Faison1 View Post
    Isn't Coastal Carolina usually pretty good? Did they make the tournament last year?
    They won the National Championship in 2016 and yes they made the tournament in 2019.
    Bob Green