• Maleficent 2 (Oct 18)

21 40.38%
  • Zombieland 2 (Oct 18)

5 9.62%
  • Terminator: Dark Fate (Nov 1)

8 15.38%
  • Frozen 2 (Nov 22)

51 98.08%
  • Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (Nov 22)

4 7.69%
  • Knives Out (Nov 27)

2 3.85%
  • Jumanji: Next Level (Dec 13)

48 92.31%
  • Star Wars 9 (Dec 20)

52 100.00%
  • Cats (Dec 20)

4 7.69%
  • Bad Boys III (Jan 17)

3 5.77%
  • Dr. Dolittle (Jan 17)

5 9.62%
  • Birds of Prey (Feb 7)

9 17.31%
  • Field

9 17.31%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    While it will have absolutely no impact on the $$$, Wrinkles The Clown now has a higher tomato meter rating than Joker. That's pretty funny.

(71% to 70%)
    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/
    You Clowning with us? Or just Joking?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    You Clowning with us? Or just Joking?
    Don't be a Bozo. He's clearly a little Krusty about his decision to pick Birds of Prey and not Joker.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by LegoBatman View Post
    Don't be a Bozo. He's clearly a little Krusty about his decision to pick Birds of Prey and not Joker.
    Oh, I'm Har'ley bemoaning that choice.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I ended up going with:
    Star Wars 9
    Frozen 2
    Jumanji: Next Level
    Maleficent 2
    Birds of Prey

I did not pick Joker for many of same reasons that CameronBornAndBred laid out. The replacement came down to either A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, a movie many in my family want to see, or Birds of Prey, a movie that no one in my family wants to see. (OK, if I see it on a plane I might give it a go). Picking what you want to see rarely pays off here, so I went with Birds of Prey. Like many here, I made my choice before the trailer dropped, but hey it's up ~$3.50 on HSX, so what do I/we know.

Billion Dollar Box Office

If anyone wants to do the side contest I suggested earlier just let me know and post your choices before midnight tonight, central time. If not I'll just declare myself the winner

Rules:
    Pick the 1 to 5 films from the poll (excluding "field") which you think will come closest to $1 billion in total domestic box office on the day the regular contest is declared over. Over or under is okay, I'll just use the absolute difference.

My picks:
    Frozen 2
    Maleficent 2

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I ended up going with:
    Star Wars 9
    Frozen 2
    Maleficent 2
    Birds of Prey

I did not pick Joker for many of same reasons that CameronBornAndBred laid out. The replacement came down to either A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, a movie many in my family want to see, or Birds of Prey, a movie that no one in my family wants to see. (OK, if I see it on a plane I might give it a go). Picking what you want to see rarely pays off here, so I went with Birds of Prey. Like many here, I made my choice before the trailer dropped, but hey it's up ~$3.50 on HSX, so what do I/we know.
    YMO and I welcome you to the winning team.
    (oops, bcsu, too)
    Last edited by CameronBornAndBred; 10-03-2019 at 04:48 PM.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

If anyone wants to do the side contest I suggested earlier just let me know and post your choices before midnight tonight, central time. If not I'll just declare myself the winner

Rules:
    Pick the 1 to 5 films from the poll (excluding "field") which you think will come closest to $1 billion in total domestic box office on the day the regular contest is declared over. Over or under is okay, I'll just use the absolute difference.

My picks:
    Frozen 2
    Maleficent 2
    I'm game.

Star Wars 9
    Terminator DF

There are some folks that are really rubbed the wrong way by "Joker". I'm now even more curious to see it.

joker.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    There are some folks that are really rubbed the wrong way by "Joker". I'm now even more curious to see it.

joker.jpg
    I assume you realize this is another online idiot making reference to the potential threat of a mass shooting(s) at Joker movie premiers, right? And blaming movie producers and critics for making and supporting a film they believe could prompt someone to act out violently.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    I assume you realize this is another online idiot making reference to the potential threat of a mass shooting(s) at Joker movie premiers, right? And blaming movie producers and critics for making and supporting a film they believe could prompt someone to act out violently.
    Yes, fully aware. It seems like many people are making reference to the threat of a shooting because they and/or the critics they're reading are reacting strongly against this movie.

I remain utterly baffled by the controversy about Joker and violence, especially gun violence. I think he fires his gun twice in the entire movie... maybe three times. It is like people are putting themes and consequences on this film without ever seeing it. So strange.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I remain utterly baffled by the controversy about Joker and violence, especially gun violence. I think he fires his gun twice in the entire movie... maybe three times. It is like people are putting themes and consequences on this film without ever seeing it. So strange.
    I read an article earlier about a group of people who refer to themselves as Incels, short for involuntary celibates, who basically live online and are angry at the world for not being able to find love. A subset of them are apparently pretty freaky and enamored with violence, including mass shootings. Somehow they have latched onto the Joker character as representative of who they are, and some have been promoting the idea of violence at screenings of the film. And with the media being what it is these days, well, you get the picture.

I'm gonna go with Star Wars 9 ($800 mil) and Joker ($200 mil)
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I read an article earlier about a group of people who refer to themselves as Incels, short for involuntary celibates, who basically live online and are angry at the world for not being able to find love. A subset of them are apparently pretty freaky
    Wait...the rest of them aren't?

I read an article earlier about a group of people who refer to themselves as Incels, short for involuntary celibates, who basically live online and are angry at the world for not being able to find love. A subset of them are apparently pretty freaky and enamored with violence, including mass shootings. Somehow they have latched onto the Joker character as representative of who they are, and some have been promoting the idea of violence at screenings of the film. And with the media being what it is these days, well, you get the picture.
    And yet the media will blame the movie makers and the gun makers for the violence. The media sensationalizes the violence for profit, then blames others, for profit.

What amazes me are media "stories" detailing how Twitter "reacts" to an event. The more reactionary the comment, the more likely it is to be covered, conflating entertainment with news.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Wait...the rest of them aren't?
    I was trying to be nice... you know, in case any of them are snooping on this thread.

I will have my 100 Word Review a little later, but for now ya'll can listen in to my podcast on Joker. It was a slow burn but once it got going I was utterly enthralled by this descent into madness that features a truly remarkable performace by Joaquin Phoenix. My podcast partner, Josh, didn't love it quite as much as I did but we both agree it is worth your moviegoing dollar.

https://soundcloud.com/jason-evans-1...ht-about-joker
    Just listened to your podcast, and I really enjoyed this podcast. After reading CameronBornandBread's posts about this movie and this podcast, my prediction is this movie is going to do well at the box office. I know nothing about the box office. But as a child psychiatrist who loved It Chapter One, let me just tell you that at LOT of people are going to see this movie more than once. The reviewer who never wants to think about this movie again tells me this movie is going to kill it. I'm excited about seeing it, and I just believe a lot of people are going to pay money to see it. I'd bet a pie that this movie finishes top 5 in this contest. Don't bet me - I make a lot of dumb pie bets and this is not one of them. This bet expires in 24 hours, but don't take it. I don't care it's Rated R. People in America suffer a LOT of mental suffering, are disgusted with politics, and will pay money to see this movie. Just my opinion.

In long, I think this movie will do well, and is a shoe-in for Top 5. Loved the Podcast. Jason is right on this one over Josh. And I haven't even seen it yet.

Early word is that Joker did a little more than $10 mil in Thursday night previews. Boxoffice analysts are saying it is almost certain to break Venom's October record of $80.2 million and should just barely top $90 million.

-Jason "in other news, I am not paying Richard Jackson to be my publicist... but you damn well know I sporked the heck out of his post!!" Evans

Fun question that I have no clue as to what the answer is since my crystal ball is way muddy...
    What will be the take of the #6 flick? I ask that because I think 5 and 6 will be close.
    So...190? Over 200? I'm certain our "locks" are going to do at least 1.5B combined (hell, top two might do that), so how low can the top 5 go without being #6?

Early word is that Joker did a little more than $10 mil in Thursday night previews. Boxoffice analysts are saying it is almost certain to break Venom's October record of $80.2 million and should just barely top $90 million.
    If you did not vote for Joker, I'm pretty sure you are going to lose.

The Thursday previews came in at $13.3 million, blowing away expectations. It is the best R-rated Thursday preview number of any film except Deadpool 2. There is now talk Joker will top $100 mil this weekend.

The early PostTrack exit surveys are also very strong. 84% of folks who saw it have positive feelings about the film and 62% will definite recommend it to friends, both are really strong numbers. Audiences under 25 hit 95% on the positive scale, which is important because that is the demo that tends to do repeat viewing of films they enjoy.

-Jason "this movie is going to top $200 mil... easily. It will probably be in the $225-$250 kind of range when all is said and done" Evans