• Maleficent 2 (Oct 18)

21 40.38%
  • Zombieland 2 (Oct 18)

5 9.62%
  • Terminator: Dark Fate (Nov 1)

8 15.38%
  • Frozen 2 (Nov 22)

51 98.08%
  • Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (Nov 22)

4 7.69%
  • Knives Out (Nov 27)

2 3.85%
  • Jumanji: Next Level (Dec 13)

48 92.31%
  • Star Wars 9 (Dec 20)

52 100.00%
  • Cats (Dec 20)

4 7.69%
  • Bad Boys III (Jan 17)

3 5.77%
  • Dr. Dolittle (Jan 17)

5 9.62%
  • Birds of Prey (Feb 7)

9 17.31%
  • Field

9 17.31%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Comic book movies rarely have much appeal to female audiences ...
    Hah hah. You made that “study abroad “ joke in college didn’t you?

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Hah hah. You made that “study abroad “ joke in college didn’t you?

I lived it. But then, I was a different person back then.

I lived it. But then, I was a different person back then.
    You were female then, but not now?

Not that I'm prying, mind you . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    You were female then, but not now?

Not that I'm prying, mind you . . . .

My overwhelming compulsion to study abroad has dwindled to a resistible urge.

Do the early screening numbers get included in the opening weekend numbers?
    Depends on how the studio does it. Do they sell tickets or give them away? These screenings are, I believe, giveaways so there would be no figure included in the boxoffice. That said, 30 showings, even if they are all sellouts, really won't make much of a difference in the grand scheme of things for this film's boxoffice. Lets say it is 250 people per showing (most "nice seats" theaters nowadays are more like 150 seats) at $15 per ticket. That would be 30x250x15= $112,500 in ticket sales. For a film that is likely eyeing around $200 mil in boxoffice, that just doesn't matter.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Depends on how the studio does it. Do they sell tickets or give them away? These screenings are, I believe, giveaways so there would be no figure included in the boxoffice. That said, 30 showings, even if they are all sellouts, really won't make much of a difference in the grand scheme of things for this film's boxoffice. Lets say it is 250 people per showing (most "nice seats" theaters nowadays are more like 150 seats) at $15 per ticket. That would be 30x250x15= $112,500 in ticket sales. For a film that is likely eyeing around $200 mil in boxoffice, that just doesn't matter.
    Except when you are $113,000 away from setting a multi-billion dollar box office record, so need to leave the film out there yet another day.

Should you see The Rhythm Section this weekend? Uhhhh, NO!! In my latest podcast we just rip into this new spy/assassin franchise.

http://flixchat.blogspot.com/2020/01...ut-rhythm.html

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Parasite is pretty entertaining for those who can look beyond blowing stuff up and mentally damaged superheroes...but it does have subtitles which is a bridge too far for many.

Impressions of the first screening of Birds of Prey seem pretty positive:

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com...uinn-deserves/

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Parasite is pretty entertaining for those who can look beyond blowing stuff up and mentally damaged superheroes...but it does have subtitles which is a bridge too far for many.
    It has a legit chance to win the Best Picture Oscar. It is probably the best foreign language film in a decade or more. The fact that people are not seeing it because they are afraid of reading letters at the bottom of the screen is a crime.

It has a legit chance to win the Best Picture Oscar. It is probably the best foreign language film in a decade or more. The fact that people are not seeing it because they are afraid of reading letters at the bottom of the screen is a crime.
    Preferring not to read subtitles is a perfectly valid preference. Nothing to do with "fear".

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post

Wow, some high praise and the one that got my attention, "it's DC's Deadpool with a dash of Tarantino"! Holy cow if that is even remotely close to an accurate description I will be thrilled. Deadpool is one of my favorite comic book movies ever. I wasn't looking forward to this movie even though I picked it but now I'm kind of excited.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    Wow, some high praise and the one that got my attention, "it's DC's Deadpool with a dash of Tarantino"! Holy cow if that is even remotely close to an accurate description I will be thrilled. Deadpool is one of my favorite comic book movies ever. I wasn't looking forward to this movie even though I picked it but now I'm kind of excited.
    If these reviews turn out to be accurate/representative, whoever has been making the BoP trailers should probably be out of a job.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    If these reviews turn out to be accurate/representative, whoever has been making the BoP trailers should probably be out of a job.
    Agree 132%! The BoP trailers are a hot mess and completely turn me off to the movie...I just watched the trailers again because I hate myself. Yep. 5 minutes of my life that I'll never get back and 5 minutes that make sure I'll never spend a dime to watch Birds of Prey.

You realize the two posts you quoted were talking about different movies, right?
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    You realize the two posts you quoted were talking about different movies, right?
    Oops. I meant to quote the post above Jason's from El Diablo, with the link to the BoP reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post

Exactly. Phenomenal film that isn't getting the attention it deserves from the public. I've seen multiple people say they won't see it because "they can't do subtitles" and it's infuriating.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Preferring not to read subtitles is a perfectly valid preference. Nothing to do with "fear".
    Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    Exactly. Phenomenal film that isn't getting the attention it deserves from the public. I've seen multiple people say they won't see it because "they can't do subtitles" and it's infuriating.
    The problem with subtitles for me is that they by nature have to distract you from other visual elements in the film. Like Acy says, it's not got anything to do with "fear". Hell, I'm picky about signing my name on a painting because if done wrong it can distract from the rest of the canvas, even it is a huge piece.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

to each his or her own, but I found the subtitles not distracting in the least.
    And the film taught me that I will never, ever rent a basement apartment in Korea, so there's that.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Maybe some of us watch the movie so we don't have to read the book. I kid - there are a ton of good or great movies missed because they are subtitled. Heck, I will sometimes turn on subtitles for a movie in English if I have trouble understanding what they are saying.