• Maleficent 2 (Oct 18)

21 40.38%
  • Zombieland 2 (Oct 18)

5 9.62%
  • Terminator: Dark Fate (Nov 1)

8 15.38%
  • Frozen 2 (Nov 22)

51 98.08%
  • Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (Nov 22)

4 7.69%
  • Knives Out (Nov 27)

2 3.85%
  • Jumanji: Next Level (Dec 13)

48 92.31%
  • Star Wars 9 (Dec 20)

52 100.00%
  • Cats (Dec 20)

4 7.69%
  • Bad Boys III (Jan 17)

3 5.77%
  • Dr. Dolittle (Jan 17)

5 9.62%
  • Birds of Prey (Feb 7)

9 17.31%
  • Field

9 17.31%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
    Somebody upthread gave a Top 10 movie list for 2019 and mentioned Good Boys which I'd forgotten about. I got the blu ray with an amazon gift card and my wife and I loved this movie. Thanks for the suggestion!

It's definitely not a movie to watch with kids of any age. But it's hilariously funny (hilarious deleted scenes too!). The acting of 2 of the kids (Tremblay in particular) is on par with the tweens in It Chapter One. They have fantastic chemistry and my wife loved them.

It's Seth Rogen type humor with sex toys and drug jokes. So if that offends you - not your movie. But it's an outstanding coming-of-age comedy and I can't imagine most not really enjoying. Yes 6th graders really do talk this way and feel these things. You'll remember when you were a 6th grader. Recommended.

Bad boys pulled in $62 for the weekend and over $73 for the extended weekend.

It looks like this has a chance to cut ahead of knives out. Knives out is dropping theaters, so I don't know how much more it will get over the current $146.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post

It looks like this has a chance to cut ahead of knives out. Knives out is dropping theaters, so I don't know how much more it will get over the current $146.
    A chance?!?! With an opening like that it is pretty much a sure-thing to top Knives (which did not get a big Oscar nomination boost). I think it is down to Bad Boys III versus Birds of Prey. I'd give Bad Boys III at least a 60% chance of being our #5 film.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    A chance?!?! With an opening like that it is pretty much a sure-thing to top Knives (which did not get a big Oscar nomination boost). I think it is down to Bad Boys III versus Birds of Prey. I'd give Bad Boys III at least a 60% chance of being our #5 film.
    Bad boys jump, knives out, look to down birds of prey?

I'm really curious to see what people are saying when reviews for Birds of Prey start coming out.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I'm really curious to see what people are saying when reviews for Birds of Prey start coming out.
    Don't hold your breath, I just found out that the critic screenings will be Wednesday night, prior to the Thursday opening day. That is a sign that could indicate the studio is concerned about negative buzz from critics. Uh-oh...

-Jason "why why why did I think I could trust DC?!?!?!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Don't hold your breath, I just found out that the critic screenings will be Wednesday night, prior to the Thursday opening day. That is a sign that could indicate the studio is concerned about negative buzz from critics. Uh-oh...

I should clarify that it is a morbid curiosity. I'm assuming the reviews will be pretty negative.

Can’t win b/c for some reason I thought Ah-nold could bring it one more time. But I so want to be right about my prediction that Birds of Prey would be a total flop.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Hang on... new development. Warner is apparently doing fan screenings this weekend in a number of major cities. That is not something you would do if you expected word of mouth to be bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    But I so want to be right about my prediction that Birds of Prey would be a total flop.
    Even at the very lowest end of projections, there's no way it will be as big a flop as Dolittle, Cats, Midway, Terminator: Dark Fate, or Gemini Man.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    BB4L has made it to $120M in its second week. I didn't see that coming.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    BB4L has made it to $120M in its second week. I didn't see that coming.
    The first two were super popular, with boxes that (adjusted for inflation) would easily have placed in our top 5. Which is partly why I picked it. Plus just the right amount of time for a nostalgia trip.

Hang on... new development. Warner is apparently doing fan screenings this weekend in a number of major cities. That is not something you would do if you expected word of mouth to be bad.

I imagine critics and fans might not see eye to eye on the film.

I imagine critics and fans might not see eye to eye on the film.
    My gut feeling is that Birds just won't have enough broad appeal to really knock it out of the park (I also suspect that it will be objectively bad, beyond that).

The Birds of Prey fan event in Mexico over the weekend has produced the first reactions to the film. Look for #AvesdePresa on Twitter to read some of them (you may need help from Google translate). Bottom line, the early fan reviews look very positive.

Also, there is apparently a twitter war going on between angry middle-aged males (who are upset at some of the homosexual undertones in Birds of Prey and angry that the women are not treated sexy enough by the film) and younger female twitter users (who are celebrating the girl-power theme of the film). Controversy can sometimes be good for a film's boxoffice prospects... at least the opening weekend number.

-Jason "I suspect Birds of Prey will need at least a $55 mil opening to be a real contender in our Top 5... if it tops $65 mil, it becomes the 5th place front-runner" Evans

The Birds of Prey fan event in Mexico over the weekend has produced the first reactions to the film. Look for #AvesdePresa on Twitter to read some of them (you may need help from Google translate). Bottom line, the early fan reviews look very positive.

Also, there is apparently a twitter war going on between angry middle-aged males (who are upset at some of the homosexual undertones in Birds of Prey and angry that the women are not treated sexy enough by the film) and younger female twitter users (who are celebrating the girl-power theme of the film). Controversy can sometimes be good for a film's boxoffice prospects... at least the opening weekend number.

-Jason "I suspect Birds of Prey will need at least a $55 mil opening to be a real contender in our Top 5... if it tops $65 mil, it becomes the 5th place front-runner" Evans
    This is kind of why I'm not sure it can get in the top 5. I'm not sure there are enough fans of that particular breed of girl power to carry the film to a top 5 box finish.

By the way, Bad Boys For Life did $34 mil in weekend #2, an excellent hold from its opening. It now has made $120 million and is pretty much a mortal lock to finish ahead of Knives Out ($151 mil after a $3.6 mil weekend) and 1917 ($103 mil after a $15.8 mil weekend).

Feels like Bad Boys is probably going to end around $180-$190 mil.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    My gut feeling is that Birds just won't have enough broad appeal to really knock it out of the park (I also suspect that it will be objectively bad, beyond that).

Comic book movies rarely have much appeal to female audiences ...

Warner is doing advance screenings of Birds of Prey in 30 cities across the US on Feb 4 and 5.

Screenings will happen on Tuesday, February 4, and Wednesday, February 5. The Feb. 4 screenings will mostly focus on the big cities like Los Angeles and New York City before expanding more widely on Feb. 5 and hitting big to mid-size cities like Boston, Houston, Minneapolis, and Tampa.
    That does not feel like something they would do if they thought fan buzz would be poor. I'm starting to think this flick may be pretty good.

Warner is doing advance screenings of Birds of Prey in 30 cities across the US on Feb 4 and 5.

That does not feel like something they would do if they thought fan buzz would be poor. I'm starting to think this flick may be pretty good.

Do the early screening numbers get included in the opening weekend numbers?