• Maleficent 2 (Oct 18)

21 40.38%
  • Zombieland 2 (Oct 18)

5 9.62%
  • Terminator: Dark Fate (Nov 1)

8 15.38%
  • Frozen 2 (Nov 22)

51 98.08%
  • Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (Nov 22)

4 7.69%
  • Knives Out (Nov 27)

2 3.85%
  • Jumanji: Next Level (Dec 13)

48 92.31%
  • Star Wars 9 (Dec 20)

52 100.00%
  • Cats (Dec 20)

4 7.69%
  • Bad Boys III (Jan 17)

3 5.77%
  • Dr. Dolittle (Jan 17)

5 9.62%
  • Birds of Prey (Feb 7)

9 17.31%
  • Field

9 17.31%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    About $50 mil less than Last Jedi and $75 mil less than Force Awakens. One can argue as to whether the boxoffice performance is a result of critics largely being lukewarm on the film or some fan backlash to Last Jedi but the bottom line is that this is a quite poor opening for a film that is part of the main Star Wars storyline. It is possible this film actually ends up making less than Rogue One ($532 mil) though I think it ends up coming in close to $550 million.
    I'm guessing with the fairly positive audience ratings that it will have pretty good legs. I already suspect I'll end up seeing it twice. Any idea why the Metacritic user score would be so much lower than Rotten Tomatoes or IMDB?

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I'm guessing with the fairly positive audience ratings that it will have pretty good legs. I already suspect I'll end up seeing it twice. Any idea why the Metacritic user score would be so much lower than Rotten Tomatoes or IMDB?
    Maybe Metacritic users are better at figuring out if a movie is any good.

I keed, I keed.

I suspect that Metacritic readers are a bit more tuned in to the finer points of filmmaking and may be seeing some of the things that caused so many critics to give the film poor marks. RT and IMDB may be more "for the masses" than Metacritic.

I'm just guessing and, again, I am glad so many fans like the film more than the critics did.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Is there something hinky with the release and running of 1917?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Is there something hinky with the release and running of 1917?
    No, they are getting it out there at the height of award season. It is getting a limited releases now and will go wide in early January right around the time the Golden Globes and Academy Award Nominations are announced. It is not an uncommon practice for a film like this.

On the Basis of Sex did the same thing last year. The Post did it in 2018. Hidden Figures and, to a lesser extent, La La Land did this in 2017. Christmas limited released and then wide expansion the first weekend or two of January.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Maybe Metacritic users are better at figuring out if a movie is any good.

I keed, I keed.

I suspect that Metacritic readers are a bit more tuned in to the finer points of filmmaking and may be seeing some of the things that caused so many critics to give the film poor marks. RT and IMDB may be more "for the masses" than Metacritic.

I'm just guessing and, again, I am glad so many fans like the film more than the critics did.
    It's not the case that the burden of being so good at understanding films is what separates you from the people that like it. It's a bit condescending to keep saying versions of "I'm glad the masses are not so smart and therefore enjoying this movie that I'm sophisticated enough to know is bad"

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    It's not the case that the burden of being so good at understanding films is what separates you from the people that like it. It's a bit condescending to keep saying versions of "I'm glad the masses are not so smart and therefore enjoying this movie that I'm sophisticated enough to know is bad"
    I truly am sorry if it came off that way and let me be very clear that was not my intent. Critics look for things in movies that fans often don't. One can easily argue that some films are made for critics to appreciate and some are made for fans to enjoy (and some do both). For the most part I think there is no absolute right or wrong or good or bad in moviemaking. It is art and entertainment and business all at the same time. I would hate it if everyone was expected to make films that appealed to critics. That would be awful and I would have a lot less fun going to the movies in a world like that.

Look, critics largely dislike the Fast and Furious films or the Transformers movies and those are super successful and a lot of people adore them. I'm not saying people are wrong or have no taste to like them. I certainly am not saying that about Rise of Skywalker either (it is waaay better than most of the F&F films and all of the Transformers). All of this is subjective and anyone who tells you their opinion is right and your opinion is wrong is the one who is really wrong (I hope no one thinks I have been doing that). I generally try to point out what I liked and what I didn't in a film and I always love to hear from others about how they felt. That is, I hope, what I have conveyed in the many discussions we are having about Rise of Skywalker. Again, if anyone thinks I have discarded opposing opinions or treated folks like their opinion did not matter, I am truly sorry.

-Jason "as I said on my podcast, I hope my words helped lower expectations for folks which can often enhance enjoyment of a film" Evans

No, they are getting it out there at the height of award season. It is getting a limited releases now and will go wide in early January right around the time the Golden Globes and Academy Award Nominations are announced. It is not an uncommon practice for a film like this.

On the Basis of Sex did the same thing last year. The Post did it in 2018. Hidden Figures and, to a lesser extent, La La Land did this in 2017. Christmas limited released and then wide expansion the first weekend or two of January.
    Thanks, I was wondering why it was not at the local theater New Year’s Day when I was planning to see it.

This seems like as good a place as any to ask this, since its a general moviegoer question. Has anyone had any experience with the "Dolby Cinema" movie theaters? I'm considering going to a showing in one for my second Rise of Skywalker viewing, just wondering if it is considered "worth it".

FWIW, Rise of Skywalker posted the second best Christmas Day domestic box office ever ($32M) behind only Force Awakens ($49M).

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    FWIW, Rise of Skywalker posted the second best Christmas Day domestic box office ever ($32M) behind only Force Awakens ($49M).
    Standings through Christmas Day:

1. Frozen 2 - $399.1 mil
    2. Joker - $333.3 mil
    3. Star Wars IX - $258.8 mil
    4. Jumanji: Next Level - $129.0 mil
    5. Maleficent 2 - $113.0 mil
    6. Ford v Ferrari - $103.7 mil
    7. Knives Out - $97.2 mil

If you have seen Little Women -- of if you don't mind reading spoilers that examine the ending of the film -- I highly recommend this article that discusses the way the new film reflects upon the life and beliefs of author Louisa May Alcott. Though I sensed much of this when I was seeing the film a few weeks ago, I now have an even better understanding of what director Gretta Gerwig was trying to accomplish and the message of this wonderful film.

https://film.avclub.com/let-s-talk-a...-wo-1840449374

So, here is my 100-word review of 1917. No matter how much you think you will be awed by this film, it is going to surpass your expectations.

tmg-article_tall.jpg

So, here is my 100-word review of 1917. No matter how much you think you will be awed by this film, it is going to surpass your expectations.

tmg-article_tall.jpg
    Didn't leave much wiggle room there did you?

I am very excited to see this movie

Lots of fun looking movies coming in 2020:

(and Birds of Prey is not one of them for me)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/gal...XLq?li=BBnb7Kz

and though I don't necessarily agree with all these rankings, there are definitely some movies on this list I missed and will give a watch:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/gal...LGK?li=BBnb7Kz

like Doctor Sleep, Booksmart, Uncut Gems (just out), and Ready or Not

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    and though I don't necessarily agree with all these rankings, there are definitely some movies on this list I missed and will give a watch:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/gal...LGK?li=BBnb7Kz

like Doctor Sleep, Booksmart, Uncut Gems (just out), and Ready or Not
    The trailer for Uncut Gems wasn't impressive. Adam Sandler is NOT an actor.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Adam Sandler is NOT an actor.
    But he is a movie star. Or at least he was.

Sandler is definitely capable of putting in great performances. He's solid in Uncut Gems. The movie itself I found a little disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    The trailer for Uncut Gems wasn't impressive. Adam Sandler is NOT an actor.
    I'm guessing you have not seen the film because Sandler is phenomenal in it. He is very much in the running for Best Actor this year and absolutely deserves to be.

As for Uncut Gems, I hated it when I walked out of the theater but the film has grown on me over time. When I saw it for a second time, I liked it a lot more. The acting is first rate -- in addition to Sandler, Julia Fox and Eric Bogosian are great in this film and KG is pretty good too. The movie is super aggressive though, really in your face, and it is a tough film to watch because there really are no likable characters. It is not for everyone, that is for sure, but a segment of the viewing public will like it a lot, I suspect. I could see it becoming a quite popular flick on cable someday in the future.

-Jason "Sandler is saying that if he does not get Best Actor for this, he will make nothing but terrible comedies for the rest of his life... which would be a real pity" Evans

I'm guessing you have not seen the film because Sandler is phenomenal in it. He is very much in the running for Best Actor this year and absolutely deserves to be.

As for Uncut Gems, I hated it when I walked out of the theater but the film has grown on me over time. When I saw it for a second time, I liked it a lot more. The acting is first rate -- in addition to Sandler, Julia Fox and Eric Bogosian are great in this film and KG is pretty good too. The movie is super aggressive though, really in your face, and it is a tough film to watch because there really are no likable characters. It is not for everyone, that is for sure, but a segment of the viewing public will like it a lot, I suspect. I could see it becoming a quite popular flick on cable someday in the future.

-Jason "Sandler is saying that if he does not get Best Actor for this, he will make nothing but terrible comedies for the rest of his life... which would be a real pity" Evans

Wow, the trailer VERY poorly conveys Sandler's performance, but apparently it does convey the nature of the film. It left me with absolutely no interest in seeing the film.

How pretentious is Sandler to demand an Oscar? Even if it is Oscar worthy, how many one-off performances are rewarded by the Academy? He has paid ZERO in artistic dues, and rather has profited mightily from the system without giving back anything of value.