• Maleficent 2 (Oct 18)

21 40.38%
  • Zombieland 2 (Oct 18)

5 9.62%
  • Terminator: Dark Fate (Nov 1)

8 15.38%
  • Frozen 2 (Nov 22)

51 98.08%
  • Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (Nov 22)

4 7.69%
  • Knives Out (Nov 27)

2 3.85%
  • Jumanji: Next Level (Dec 13)

48 92.31%
  • Star Wars 9 (Dec 20)

52 100.00%
  • Cats (Dec 20)

4 7.69%
  • Bad Boys III (Jan 17)

3 5.77%
  • Dr. Dolittle (Jan 17)

5 9.62%
  • Birds of Prey (Feb 7)

9 17.31%
  • Field

9 17.31%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    yeah, he took a fascinating historical story and put his tacky Hollywood juice all of it when none was required...not his worst job of distorting history, but nothing admirable, either.
    So, pretty much what I was afraid of. Sigh.

Guess I'll stick with the Henry Fonda/Charlton Heston/Glenn Ford/Robert Mitchum/Hal Holbrook/Toshiro Mifune version from 1976 (also featuring Mr. Miyagi, Ponch from CHiPs, Magnum P.I., and Miami Dolphins running back Larry Csonka in supporting or bit roles).

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    News flash: I loved loved loved Ford v Ferrari. Here is my 100-word review: http://flixchat.blogspot.com/2019/11...ws-ford-v.html

-Jason "it may not quite be a Best Picture nominee, but it sure comes close and I suspect this film will get a lot of award nominations" Evans
    Thatís a lot to read, do you have a podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    It's 100 words...what are you a Carolina athlete?

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    It's 100 words...what are you a Carolina athlete?
    H Keith H says otherwise...

New Sonic trailer out that doesn't look half as awful as the first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szby7ZHLnkA

Ha, very funny. Josh was not at the Ford/Fer screening so no pod on that one. I am seeing Won't You Be My Neighbor tonight and Knives Out on Thursday. Assuming Josh is able to make it to both screenings, we will have pods.
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

It is a little surreal and strange at times... and it is not the Fred Rogers bio that many folks are expecting to see, but I think A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood is one of the best of the year.

http://flixchat.blogspot.com/2019/11...beautiful.html

Most movies try to make you laugh or cry or quicken your heartbeat. Rare is the film that tries to make you a better person, but that is the mission of Beautiful Day.
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

Ford vs Ferrari looks like it will come in around $30MM for its opening weekend, plus it has an A+ Cinemascore so it should have strong legs. It should go over $100MM, though by how much remains to be seen.

Charlie's Angels is absolutely flopping. It was supposed to have an already low $12-14MM opening (on a $50MM budget) but now they're saying $8MM.

Finally, "Joker" has passed $1 billion in worldwide gross. Well done!

For the four of you who picked "Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood": they're expecting a $20MM opening, so it's not looking good for you.

For the one brave soul who didn't pick "Frozen 2": that movie is looking at an opening of around $110MM (though it wouldn't surprise me if it were even higher than that), so it's not looking good for you either.

Am I correct that it looks like the fifth spot will be decided by one of the following:
    Dark Fate
    Birds of Prey
    Field (Ford v Ferrari)
    Bad Boys III
    Knives out

With Joker, Frozen II, Jumanji and Star Wars looking like locks?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    For the four of you who picked "Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood": they're expecting a $20MM opening, so it's not looking good for you.
    "I am not a smart man."

But really, I just wanted to pick the Mr. Rogers movie, contest be damned.

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    Am I correct that it looks like the fifth spot will be decided by one of the following:
    Dark Fate
    Birds of Prey
    Field (Ford v Ferrari)
    Bad Boys III
    Knives out

With Joker, Frozen II, Jumanji and Star Wars looking like locks?
    Well, yes... sorta.

Froz/Jum/Star have been seen as locks from day one and nothing we have heard lately about reviews or advanced ticket sales has caused a moment of wavering on that. Joker's strong opening and staying power have made it a lock as well. I will say that I would be shocked in a way we have not seen in the history of this contest for those 4 not to be among our top 5 when all is said and done.

But your list of the other contenders misses a number of possibilities. Cats could still pop. We still know very little about Dr. Doolittle other than the fact that it is a known franchise and features a mega-star. I'm not saying it is likely but I'm not going to rule out something like Spies in Disguise or 1917.

I feel like we can rule out Terminator: Dark Fate. It has made $57 million so far and there is very little chance it even reaches $75 mil.

-Jason "I still think things are kinda wide open for the #5 film. Still a bunch of possibilities" Evans

I feel like we can rule out Terminator: Dark Fate. It has made $57 million so far and there is very little chance it even reaches $75 mil.
    It's early still, but I feel like Ford vs Ferrari isn't going to be big enough. Right now it's running behind Malificent which is our currently projected #5 at $105m with a few more million to go. FvF would need to pull a multiplier in the high 3s to get past it and I just don't see it.

Right now, I'm guess Birds of Prey takes it just based on the success of Joker, even though it looks absolutely horrid.

Well, yes... sorta.

Froz/Jum/Star have been seen as locks from day one and nothing we have heard lately about reviews or advanced ticket sales has caused a moment of wavering on that. Joker's strong opening and staying power have made it a lock as well. I will say that I would be shocked in a way we have not seen in the history of this contest for those 4 not to be among our top 5 when all is said and done.

But your list of the other contenders misses a number of possibilities. Cats could still pop. We still know very little about Dr. Doolittle other than the fact that it is a known franchise and features a mega-star. I'm not saying it is likely but I'm not going to rule out something like Spies in Disguise or 1917.

-Jason "I still think things are kinda wide open for the #5 film. Still a bunch of possibilities" Evans
    Dang it. That would make me 5 for 5.

It's early still, but I feel like Ford vs Ferrari isn't going to be big enough. Right now it's running behind Malificent which is our currently projected #5 at $105m with a few more million to go. FvF would need to pull a multiplier in the high 3s to get past it and I just don't see it.

Right now, I'm guess Birds of Prey takes it just based on the success of Joker, even though it looks absolutely horrid.
    Everyone get's an opinion - I though Ford Vs. Ferrari most entertaining movie I've watched in years. Maybe the audience is a little old and that will hold it back.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Everyone get's an opinion - I though Ford Vs. Ferrari most entertaining movie I've watched in years. Maybe the audience is a little old and that will hold it back.
    FvF is a really wonderful flick and I bet it does better than a 4x multiple from its $31.5 mil opening weekend which would put it at $125 mil in boxoffice. Can it get to a 5x to reach $150+ mil and really be a contender? It is still early to tell but I don't think it is impossible. There is plenty of precedent for a film to generate big word of mouth and have the long legs needed to produce strong boxoffice figures. Just two years ago we saw The Greatest Showman open with $8.8 mil at the boxoffice and then go on to earn more than $175 mil in total ticket sales. That same year we saw Jumanji open with $36.1 mil and go on to make over $400 million in the US.

-Jason "It happens... we need more time to see if it happens to Ford v Ferrari (or Knives Out)" Evans

Frozen II - $127 million

F v F did $16 million, up to $58 million. Will likely need long long legs.

Mr. Rogers did $13.5

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Frozen II - $127 million

F v F did $16 million, up to $58 million. Will likely need long long legs.

Mr. Rogers did $13.5
    I know Frozen gobbled up all the receipts, but I'm surprised that Mr. Rogers didn't do better. I'm guessing it will hang around for a long while. Not enough to be a contender, of course, but that first weekend is lower than I expected.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I know Frozen gobbled up all the receipts, but I'm surprised that Mr. Rogers didn't do better. I'm guessing it will hang around for a long while. Not enough to be a contender, of course, but that first weekend is lower than I expected.

Frozen is targeted to kids. Who is the Mr. Rogerís film targeted at? I would contend it overlaps a bit with Ford v Ferrari at least from an age perspective. But then I quit watching Mr. Rogerís in the late 70s.

So, Frozen officially enters the top 5. I'm going to make a guess that it will be able to stay in it.

1. Joker $327
    2. Frozen II $127
    3. Maleficient $109
    4. Dowtown Abbey $97
    5. Zombieland: Double Tap $72