• Maleficent 2 (Oct 18)

21 40.38%
  • Zombieland 2 (Oct 18)

5 9.62%
  • Terminator: Dark Fate (Nov 1)

8 15.38%
  • Frozen 2 (Nov 22)

51 98.08%
  • Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (Nov 22)

4 7.69%
  • Knives Out (Nov 27)

2 3.85%
  • Jumanji: Next Level (Dec 13)

48 92.31%
  • Star Wars 9 (Dec 20)

52 100.00%
  • Cats (Dec 20)

4 7.69%
  • Bad Boys III (Jan 17)

3 5.77%
  • Dr. Dolittle (Jan 17)

5 9.62%
  • Birds of Prey (Feb 7)

9 17.31%
  • Field

9 17.31%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Top 5 Movies of Winter 2019

Ok, several of you said we should start with October to include Joker and yet I know folks will want to also look at Birds of Prey on 2/7 so those two DC Universe flicks will be our bookends.

None of you should need instructions at this point, but because there are always folks who cannot obey the rules... vote for 5 films, not 4, not 6. Any film released From October 4- Feb 7th is eligible for consideration. We are measuring US domestic boxoffice take and the contest will end as soon as it is clear that we know the top 5 films of the winter season. It is likely we will know by the middle of March, perhaps sooner.

You can see our Summer contest here and last Winter's contest here.

The poll will close on Wednesday October 2, a couple weeks from now. Get your votes in quickly because if you miss the deadline, you are sunk.

VOTE FOR 5 FILMS, NO MORE, NO LESS. FAILING TO VOTE FOR 5 FILMS WILL BRING GREAT SCORN DOWN UPON YOU.

Here are the contenders:

Joker (Oct 4)
    Gemini Man (Oct 11)
    Maleficent 2 (Oct 18)
    Zombieland 2 (Oct 18)
    Terminator: Dark Fate (Nov 1)
    Frozen 2 (Nov 22)
    Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (Nov 22)
    Knives Out (Nov 27)
    Jumani: Next Level (Dec 13)
    Star Wars 9 (Dec 20)
    Cats (Dec 20)
    Bad Boys III (Jan 17)
    Dr. Dolittle (Jan 17)
    Birds of Prey (Feb 7)
    Field

If you pick the field, it means you get films like Dr. Sleep (Nov 8), Ford vs Ferrari (Nov 15), Jexi (Oct 11), Charlie's Angels (Nov 15), Little Women (Dec 25), and Midway (Nov 8).

As always, please post your picks to the thread so we can mock you for your mistakes praise you for being soooo smart.

-Jason "happy hunting everyone... that elusive 5-for-5 is out there if you are smart/lucky enough" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I'm going to solicit some help from the movie buffs out there - any notable "field" films coming up? I'm usually about 50/50 on selecting the field as an option, but I have no idea what's coming out in the coming months beyond what I just learned from the poll itself.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Instead of waiting and watching excitement levels, I'm just gonna jump in and make a snap decision vote.

Maleficient 2
    Jumanji 2
    Frozen 2
    Star Wars
    Birds of Prey

So two of my picks are added early/late season bookends.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Thinking has never been my strong suit, so I'll shoot from the hip:

Frozen Too
    Jumanji 2
    Star Wars

All locks in my mind.

Terminator. Voting with my heart because of my fondness for the original, this seems to capture the essence. Not much action movie competition.

Birds of Prey. I think DC might bounce back with Harley Quinn, and other strong, interesting female characters in an action genre. Marvel kind of dropped the ball with Captain Marvel.

Probably should vote for Joker, but it is being advertised as more of a character study than an action film.

Want to vote for Cats. but musicals NEVER do as well as I think/hope they will.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    If I vote for “field”, do I get credit if Jumanji finishes in the top five? Only Sheldon Williams and JJ Reddick will vote for Jumani.

Here are my 5:

Joker - Lot of buzz. Looks pretty intense. I will be there opening weekend
    Frozen 2 - Will make a ton of money. Although, my daughters (10 and 8) are not as excited for this as I thought they would be.
    Jumanji 2 - First one made a ton of money and the Rock and Kevin Hart are box office gold at the moment.
    Star Wars 9 - Will finish 1st
    Field - Winter seems like the season that has more surprises (American Sniper a few years ago) I see something coming out of nowhere and contending for the top 5

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    If I vote for “field”, do I get credit if Jumanji finishes in the top five? Only Sheldon Williams and JJ Reddick will vote for Jumani.
    Ha ha... cute. I fixed the misspelling in the poll
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Wow...6 out of 6 so far picking Frozen 2, Jumanji 2 and Star Wars 11. Way to go out on a limb there fellas!

The 3 obvious ones, Joker for getting a ton of buzz, and Knives Out as my super sleeper pick (star power, good early reviews)

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Wow...6 out of 6 so far picking Frozen 2, Jumanji 2 and Star Wars 11. Way to go out on a limb there fellas!
    Frozen - $400.7 mil
    Jumanji - $404.5 mil
    Star Wars 8 - $620.1 mil

There is no compelling argument for picking against any of these three sequels given the tremendous success (both in ticket sales and fan engagement) of their predecessors. The only way they don't get votes are misclicks or someone being intentionally contrarian for some reason.

It is picking the next two that is extremely difficult this year. There are legitimate reasons to believe at least 6 other films in this contest could top the $200 mil mark (and likely make the top 5 as a result).

-Jason "I am sorta liking the field too as it gives you more shots at finding that surprise break-out film... this is a really tough year, IMO" Evans

I'm really curious to see what happens with the next Star Wars movie. It will make the top 5 without difficulty but "Last Jedi" left a sour taste in a lot of peoples' mouths and then "Solo" bombed. So this is the big test: was it just "Star Wars fatigue" from too many movies in a short period of time, or was it something worse?

"The Force Awakens" opened at $248MM and had a second weekend drop of only 40%, finishing at $936MM domestically, whereas "Last Jedi" opened strong at $220MM but then saw a drop of 68%--the largest in franchise history--and finished at $620MM. What would be considered a "good" box office take for this film?

I see 3 locks the same as everyone else - Star Wars, Frozen 2 and Jumanji. I'm taking Joker because that character just seems to always draw folks in and it's been receiving all kinds of press so I see people going to see it. I'm going with Birds of Prey for my last pick just on a pure guess. I could see 3 or 4 other movies or even the field getting that last spot. It's a crap shoot.

Star Wars
    Frozen 2
    Jumanji
    Joker
    Birds of Prey
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    I see 3 locks the same as everyone else - Star Wars, Frozen 2 and Jumanji. I'm taking Joker because that character just seems to always draw folks in and it's been receiving all kinds of press so I see people going to see it. I'm going with Birds of Prey for my last pick just on a pure guess. I could see 3 or 4 other movies or even the field getting that last spot. It's a crap shoot.

Star Wars
    Frozen 2
    Jumanji
    Joker
    Birds of Prey
    So, I think this is a pretty savvy pick. Here's why -- if Joker is really good and people get a "DC is making good comic book movies" vibe off of it, that will probably help Birds of Prey to attract an audience too. I know that Joker is not part of the DCEU while Birds of Prey is (and I strongly suspect the two films will have very different vibes to them), but I don't think audiences will pay much attention to that technical difference in the two properties.

I guess what I am saying is that if you are going to pick Joker, picking Birds of Prey probably makes a lot of sense as a companion.

-Jason "in case you cannot tell, this is where I am leaning -- at the moment -- with my picks**" Evans

** - subject to change as I research and think more on this. I'm also feeling Knives Out and Neighbor as films that may have long legs and make a mint that way

How would folks feel about this added wrinkle...

Any film that gets 0 votes automatically becomes part of the "field." Is that problematic? I sorta like it but now that I am thinking about it, I suspect that could cause people to game their picks in a dishonest but strategic way by voting for the field rather than being the first person to pick a film that does not have any current votes.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I went with Birds of Prey because of two reasons.
    1. DC found box office gold with Wonder Woman...a female superhero lead.
    2. Harley Quinn. If she weren't in Suicide Squad, that movie would have tanked. Margot Robbie carried that movie, and will likely do the same again for Birds.

I went with Maleficent over Joker because while I think Joker will be successful, I think it will be too dark of a movie to draw top 5 numbers. It's reviews like this that gave me pause.

Already I'm giddy at the prospect of never thinking about this movie again.
    https://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts...tival/?film=66

Maleficent, because Disney.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    I guess I'm all in with Will Smith.

Frozen, Star Wars and Jumanji of course with Gemini Man and Bad Boys III as bookends.

There are a bunch of good, "I'll wait for it to come out on Netflix" movies, so I tried to guess which ones might compel people to venture out into the cold. I like that Gemini Man seems original. Bad Boys III comes out at a time in the season where folks might want to just go see something fun.

As an aside, I am rooting for Terminator because they are disregarding all but the original and 2, so it could be interesting for those of us who were in on the original as a cult movie before it got big. Not rooting for box office results, but just want it to be a good movie with an acceptable ending.

Love that we have 3 films with 100% of votes and then no other film above 45% while 13 different films have gotten at least 1 vote. Wide open for the last 2 spots this year!

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    I guess I'm all in with Will Smith.

Frozen, Star Wars and Jumanji of course with Gemini Man and Bad Boys III as bookends.

There are a bunch of good, "I'll wait for it to come out on Netflix" movies, so I tried to guess which ones might compel people to venture out into the cold. I like that Gemini Man seems original. Bad Boys III comes out at a time in the season where folks might want to just go see something fun.

As an aside, I am rooting for Terminator because they are disregarding all but the original and 2, so it could be interesting for those of us who were in on the original as a cult movie before it got big. Not rooting for box office results, but just want it to be a good movie with an acceptable ending.
    I feel like I need to pick one of those Will Smith movies but I don't know which.

Ok, I decided.

Star Wars
    Frozen
    Jumanji

Bad Boys III
    Joker

I don't see Birds of Prey doing all that well.

I haven't made my picks yet, but I did get sidetracked on a potential side contest...

Pick between one and five films from the list ("field" doesn't count) whose total combined box office will be $1 billion. The person who is closest to $1 billion on the day the main contest ends wins.