• Maleficent 2 (Oct 18)

21 40.38%
  • Zombieland 2 (Oct 18)

5 9.62%
  • Terminator: Dark Fate (Nov 1)

8 15.38%
  • Frozen 2 (Nov 22)

51 98.08%
  • Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (Nov 22)

4 7.69%
  • Knives Out (Nov 27)

2 3.85%
  • Jumanji: Next Level (Dec 13)

48 92.31%
  • Star Wars 9 (Dec 20)

52 100.00%
  • Cats (Dec 20)

4 7.69%
  • Bad Boys III (Jan 17)

3 5.77%
  • Dr. Dolittle (Jan 17)

5 9.62%
  • Birds of Prey (Feb 7)

9 17.31%
  • Field

9 17.31%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    Just got back from seeing 1917. Two initial thoughts:

1. If someone told a better story on film in 2019, I didn’t see it. I’ll take 1917 for best film and Mendes for best director. I’ll refrain from saying more in a spoiler-free thread.

2. I predict 1917 will make the top 5 in our contest. Anecdotal, I know, but this film has the same kind of buzz among my family and friends as American Sniper. I’m not comparing the content of the movies, just saying that a lot of folks who don’t normally go to the theater are planning on seeing 1917. My small-town theater was sold out for both shows tonight and that doesn’t happen often on Thursday nights when school is in session. Factor in long legs from awards buzz and positive word of mouth and I will be shocked if it doesn’t clear $150 million. I think $200 million+ is more likely.
    I have been looking forward to this movie since the first trailer I saw months ago. Thanks for no spoilers! Finally in my town now and gonna hit it over the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    I predict 1917 will make the top 5 in our contest. Anecdotal, I know, but this film has the same kind of buzz among my family and friends as American Sniper. I’m not comparing the content of the movies, just saying that a lot of folks who don’t normally go to the theater are planning on seeing 1917. My small-town theater was sold out for both shows tonight and that doesn’t happen often on Thursday nights when school is in session. Factor in long legs from awards buzz and positive word of mouth and I will be shocked if it doesn’t clear $150 million. I think $200 million+ is more likely.
    Advance ticket sales for 1917 really spiked after the Golden Globe win. Hollywood was expecting about a $20-25 mil opening a week ago. Now, it looks like $30 mil is a sure thing and we could be talking more like $35 mil. As I said a few days ago, if it gets a bunch of Oscar noms, this film could be a real contender.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I have been looking forward to this movie since the first trailer I saw months ago. Thanks for no spoilers! Finally in my town now and gonna hit it over the weekend.
    Saw it today, riveting. Well worth the Imax upcharge.

Looks like TROS will struggle to beat Rogue One:
    a98bkqu2w2a41.jpg

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Nobody will complain that Birds of Prey is long winded. It checks in at under 110 minutes.
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/birds-pre...100900931.html
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

FWIW SonPK and I just re-watched Joker now that it is on Demand and HBO. More impressed the second time through than the first. Brilliant; disturbing.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Nobody will complain that Birds of Prey is long winded. It checks in at under 110 minutes.
    110 minutes too long

Good numbers for 1917 (and well-deserved IMO):

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/12/media...ars/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    110 minutes too long
    I didn't even know they made movies under 2 hours anymore.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I didn't even know they made movies under 2 hours anymore.
    It is either going to work out masterfully, or be a disaster. From the trailers, there is LOTS of action, so in a short runtime the story must be told with imagery and special effects. Obviously, that doesn't leave much room for dialogue. But you know what...the source material is a comic book! Maybe they've nailed it.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Bad news for the handful of people (including me) that picked "Doolittle": the reviewers are savaging this one. It's the second coming of "Cats"... 13% on Rotten Tomatoes and 31 on Metacritic.

I would say it's between "Birds of Prey" and the field for the #5 spot, but "Bad Boys" is, somewhat surprisingly, getting good reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Bad news for the handful of people (including me) that picked "Doolittle": the reviewers are savaging this one. It's the second coming of "Cats"... 13% on Rotten Tomatoes and 31 on Metacritic.

I would say it's between "Birds of Prey" and the field for the #5 spot, but "Bad Boys" is, somewhat surprisingly, getting good reviews.
    I have exactly zero interest in Doolittle, but the trailers look atrocious. Maybe RDJ comes back down to earth.

Knives Out is currently at $140 mil and looks like it will make it to $150 mil (a few more key Oscar nominations could have been a real help). Unless I am missing something, it is currently in our #5 spot and there is a decent chance that will hold.

-Jason "we should not discount 1917's chance of getting 'field' into this competition... that $37 mil opening and huge word of mouth could really put it into contention" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Knives Out is currently at $140 mil and looks like it will make it to $150 mil (a few more key Oscar nominations could have been a real help). Unless I am missing something, it is currently in our #5 spot and there is a decent chance that will hold.

-Jason "we should not discount 1917's chance of getting 'field' into this competition... that $37 mil opening and huge word of mouth could really put it into contention" Evans
    Underestimate Bad Boys III at your own peril!

Maybe if the next movie is Dr. Doolittle talking to the Cats, and we add Rob Schneider or my personal favorite Neil Breen, we can turn those franchises around.

Early tracking estimates put Birds of Prey at a $50+ mil opening. Unless the film generates negative word of mouth, that would make something like $160 million in total boxoffice close to a lock with potential to be well north of that.

The film is really hot right now with the under 25 demo, with young males, followed by young females making it their first choice. Unaided awareness, those who cite the movie without being prodded in tracking’s survey, is great with young females.
    -Jason "this could be my first ever 5-for-5... I'm giddy with excitement" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Underestimate Bad Boys III at your own peril!
    Looking like it will be around a $43 mil opening... it will certainly be a contender. There are 4 films in the running for spot #5: Knives Out, 1917 (field), Bad Boys III, and Birds of Prey.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Early tracking estimates put Birds of Prey at a $50+ mil opening. Unless the film generates negative word of mouth, that would make something like $160 million in total boxoffice close to a lock with potential to be well north of that.

-Jason "this could be my first ever 5-for-5... I'm giddy with excitement" Evans
    Me too! I think I posted my pics first so does that mean I win the tiebreaker? lol
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Wow: Bad Boys looks like it will come in somewhere around $65-70 million, far above initial forecasts. The new BOP trailer is just as bad as the old one, so this looks like the film to round out our top 5.

Wow: Bad Boys looks like it will come in somewhere around $65-70 million, far above initial forecasts. The new BOP trailer is just as bad as the old one, so this looks like the film to round out our top 5.
    Just to clarify, that appears to be the 4-day MLK holiday number (looking like it will be about $68 mil), not the weekend. The 3-day weekend number will be a still very impressive $59 million and there is no question at all that Bad Boys III is a strong contender, the front-runner, for the #5 spot in our contest at this time.

-Jason "If Bad Boys is our #5, then Acymetric will be the sole 5-for-5 winner this time" Evans