• Maleficent 2 (Oct 18)

21 40.38%
  • Zombieland 2 (Oct 18)

5 9.62%
  • Terminator: Dark Fate (Nov 1)

8 15.38%
  • Frozen 2 (Nov 22)

51 98.08%
  • Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (Nov 22)

4 7.69%
  • Knives Out (Nov 27)

2 3.85%
  • Jumanji: Next Level (Dec 13)

48 92.31%
  • Star Wars 9 (Dec 20)

52 100.00%
  • Cats (Dec 20)

4 7.69%
  • Bad Boys III (Jan 17)

3 5.77%
  • Dr. Dolittle (Jan 17)

5 9.62%
  • Birds of Prey (Feb 7)

9 17.31%
  • Field

9 17.31%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    My English grandfather told me quite a bit about spending four years in trenches in France. He was amazed he survived. When the Germans started acting out again in the 1930s, he knew he'd seen this film before and headed across the pond.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    If ya'll keep this distraction up, I'm really going to have to cut you off.
    Sounds like a double-edged sword.

Or the sword of Damacles ...

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Really great to hear that, thanks. I see they are also re-releasing Peter Jackson's "They Shall Never Grow Old" for limited release a few weeks before -- I highly highly highly recommend it, and stay for the "how we made it" 20-minute film at the end as well.
    !
    Thanks for the heads up. It is playing several nights here in Richmond in December and I probably would have missed it without it.

Just saw Knives Out. FamilyPK all liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. It is playing several nights here in Richmond in December and I probably would have missed it without it.
    If they offer it in 3D it is worth doing. Although I saw it both ways (back to back days) and loved it both times.

Not to triple post, but . . .

Tomorrow, should I see Jojo Rabbit or see Joker for a second time?

Who is Jojo Rabbit?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Who is Jojo Rabbit?
    Jojo Rabbit, Your Life Is Calling

Heard good things about Jojo Rabbit from a movie Podcast (The Big Picture) that I like. My tastes generally run align fairly close with them. Now I don't know how your tastes align with mine (I've never gotten a tattoo in Juarez for instance ) but I think they are in the same ballpark.

Case in point: Wife and I also saw Knives Out tonight. Very fun whodunit.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Jojo is really weird tonally. It is very, very funny at times and almost seems to be going in a Hogan's Heroes kind of direction with stupid Germans... but then it will throw out something super serious that does not match the humor at all. I liked the film an thought there were some great moments in it, but the tonal shifts were tough for me and it did drag at times. I'm not really sure what message Waititi was trying to impart on the audience.

That said, I'm not sure what you would get from seeing Joker again (other than appreciating probably the best acting performance of the year)... what are your other options? Have you seen FvF or Neighborhood?
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    Heard good things about Jojo Rabbit from a movie Podcast (The Big Picture) that I like. My tastes generally run align fairly close with them. Now I don't know how your tastes align with mine (I've never gotten a tattoo in Juarez for instance ) but I think they are in the same ballpark.

Case in point: Wife and I also saw Knives Out tonight. Very fun whodunit.
    Thanks, and yes I sense an overlap of taste. Bad news for our wives, no doubt.

Jojo is really weird tonally. It is very, very funny at times and almost seems to be going in a Hogan's Heroes kind of direction with stupid Germans... but then it will throw out something super serious that does not match the humor at all. I liked the film an thought there were some great moments in it, but the tonal shifts were tough for me and it did drag at times. I'm not really sure what message Waititi was trying to impart on the audience.

That said, I'm not sure what you would get from seeing Joker again (other than appreciating probably the best acting performance of the year)... what are your other options? Have you seen FvF or Neighborhood?
    Have not seen either FvF or Neighborhood although want to see both. Not sure I can get MrsPK or DaughterPK to FvF, not sure I can get KidsPK to Neighborhood, so probably have to wait for Netflix/HBO for those. But who doesn’t love a good Nazi comedy?

“Springtime
    For Hitler
    Und Germany . . . .”

(and yes, Joker would be to see JP again. His acting was as stunningly immersing as RDeN’s was jarringly out of place for me — maybe because I’ve seen King of Comedy and Taxi Driver a few times and his role distracted me. But JP was mesmerizing.)

Thanks again for the Knives Out nudge!

My ballot for the Atlanta Film Critics Circle is due on Sunday and I am really torn for the #1 film of the year... 4 contenders that I really am having trouble distinguishing among (and I just got my awards screeners for Little Women and Parasite, which could easily enter the fray from what I have heard): Knives Out, 1917, Endgame, and The Irishman. Could not be 4 more different films. Hmmmmm.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Just came back from Jojo Rabbit. Not sure what to think.

MrsPK and SonPK liked it.

Next day, still not sure.

My ballot for the Atlanta Film Critics Circle is due on Sunday and I am really torn for the #1 film of the year... 4 contenders that I really am having trouble distinguishing among (and I just got my awards screeners for Little Women and Parasite, which could easily enter the fray from what I have heard): Knives Out, 1917, Endgame, and The Irishman. Could not be 4 more different films. Hmmmmm.
    Hmmm indeed. Just saw Knives Out. Really enjoyed it...but it’s not as good as Parasite or Endgame. Watching The Irishman tonight. Will let you know my vote. At the moment I would rank my Top 5 of the year so far:

5. Good Boys. Funny, touching and pretty damned real.
    4. Joker. Best acting job (by far).
    3. Yesterday. Enjoyable from start to finish.
    2. Endgame. Amazing conclusion to 10 plus years of story telling.
    1. Parasite. Really two movies in one. Both were great.

Haven’t seen Dark Water, Neighborhood, Irishman. I would guess one of these will easily knock out Good Boys. Same with maybe Star Wars or Jamanji.

Liked Ford v Ferrari, just not as much as those 5. Same with Knives Out. Thought Us was just OK. Thought Once Upon a Time was just OK. My hidden gems would be John Wick, Rocketman and Shazam.

Saw Ford v. Ferrari before our win over Miami. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Saw Ford v. Ferrari before our win over Miami. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
    And now you must now watch it before every game ...

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    And now you must now watch it before every game ...
    Good thing he didn’t watch The Irishman. He might not make it to the game until half-time.

It wasn't really on topic with this thread, so I moved all the awards talk to another thread.

Meanwhile, back to boxoffice -- Frozen 2 crushed its second weekend scoring $85 million from Fri-Sun. It now stands at $287 mil so, no surprise, it is going to easily be in our top 5.

Knives Out did $41.7 mil from Wed-Sunday ($27 mil from Fri-Sun), which is a very good number for a film like this. Obviously, it is going to need award buzz and lots of good word of mouth to be a contender in our contest but this is a decent start. We need to see how it holds on in coming weeks and if it is still generating good numbers well into December. I'd rate it a longshot, but not impossible.

-Jason "next weekend will probably be fairly slow, the first weekend after Thanksgiving is typically a poor one with few new releases" Evans

We're seeing some box office history this weekend as "Playmobil: The Movie" looks to achieve one of the worst opening weekends ever:

That movie is very close to becoming the lowest opening ever for a pic booked in 2K-plus theaters (according to Boxoffice Mojo) with a 3-day of $702K. That’s lower than Universal/Blumhouse’s Jem and the Holograms which tanked with a $1.37M opening (and final of $2.1M domestic) and not too far from the lowest bottom dweller for this range, the 2012 film The Oogieloves in the Big Balloon Adventure ($443K opening, $1M final domestic).
    According to Wikipedia the production budget is $40MM. Here's the trailer if you're curious...