• Maleficent 2 (Oct 18)

21 40.38%
  • Zombieland 2 (Oct 18)

5 9.62%
  • Terminator: Dark Fate (Nov 1)

8 15.38%
  • Frozen 2 (Nov 22)

51 98.08%
  • Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (Nov 22)

4 7.69%
  • Knives Out (Nov 27)

2 3.85%
  • Jumanji: Next Level (Dec 13)

48 92.31%
  • Star Wars 9 (Dec 20)

52 100.00%
  • Cats (Dec 20)

4 7.69%
  • Bad Boys III (Jan 17)

3 5.77%
  • Dr. Dolittle (Jan 17)

5 9.62%
  • Birds of Prey (Feb 7)

9 17.31%
  • Field

9 17.31%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LegoBatman View Post
    I haven't made my picks yet, but I did get sidetracked on a potential side contest...

Pick between one and five films from the list ("field" doesn't count) whose total combined box office will be $1 billion. The person who is closest to $1 billion on the day the main contest ends wins.
    Domestic box office, or worldwide?

I picked Bad Boys III because I saw them filming a nighttime chase scene of some sort while on a business trip to Atlanta. Figure if I'm going to be in the background in one of these movies I should pick it!

And Maleficent because Disney...
    Good people drink good beer. -Hunter S. Thompson

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    "Sleepybear" picked a top two. At least one of those is a lock, so 1 for 5 is guaranteed!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Domestic box office, or worldwide?
    domestic

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    "Sleepybear" picked a top two. At least one of those is a lock, so 1 for 5 is guaranteed!
    Three possibilities here:

A) Sleepybear misclicked and accidentally hit submit too soon
    B) Sleepybear was too tired to read the rules
    C) Sleepybear thought he/she was voting in the LegoBatman side contest and was picking Joker and Star Wars to combine for $1 bil (which is a really good combo, IMO)
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Tough beyond the three gimmes

The first three are obvious: Frozen 2, Jumanji 2 and Star Wars 9.

I went with Joker and Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood. Joker seems like a pretty good bet to be on the list, and it seems like we all agree the 5th one is really up in the air. Voted for Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood for a couple of reasons. One, family movies - and I suspect this is a family friendly movie - are stronger around the holidays and because the reaction to the trailer was pretty substantial. Figure it is as good a coin toss as anything.

My picks:

Frozen and Star Wars, of course.

Jumanji did really well last time so I'll go with that.

Joker is getting tons of hype and interesting reviews, so I voted for that one as well, it seems to have a lot of upside.

My last pick was Dr. Doolittle. I know nothing about it but nobody else had voted for it so what the heck.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    My last pick was Dr. Doolittle. I know nothing about it but nobody else had voted for it so what the heck.
    There has not been a trailer yet, so I think folks don't know much about The Voyage of Dr. Doolittle, but it stars Robert Downey, Jr. His last 5 movies have made $2.5+ billion combined at domestic boxoffice so he might be a star. The film has a huge budget ($175 mil) and is full of crowd-pleasing visual effects. Though we have not seen much yet, I suspect we are going to be deluged by advertising as we enter the holiday season.

Also, there are a few recognizable names in the cast:
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    There has not been a trailer yet, so I think folks don't know much about The Voyage of Dr. Doolittle, but it stars Robert Downey, Jr. His last 5 movies have made $2.5+ billion combined at domestic boxoffice so he might be a star. The film has a huge budget ($175 mil) and is full of crowd-pleasing visual effects. Though we have not seen much yet, I suspect we are going to be deluged by advertising as we enter the holiday season.

Also, there are a few recognizable names in the cast:
    I know everyone except Carmen Ejojo. Should she be on my radar, given the company she's in?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    ...but it stars Robert Downey, Jr. His last 5 movies have made $2.5+ billion combined at domestic boxoffice so he might be a star.
    Yes, but all 5 of those roles were portraying exactly one character, Iron Man. His other than Iron Man roles have been much more mixed. Not saying it won't be a contender...just that you are cherry picking your stats.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Yes, but all 5 of those roles were portraying exactly one character, Iron Man. His other than Iron Man roles have been much more mixed. Not saying it won't be a contender...just that you are cherry picking your stats.
    Wasn't one of those a Sherlock?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    3 Avengers, a Spider Man, and a Captain America.

Sherlock: Game of Shadows($186MM) is his 10th movie ago(counting a cameo in Chef) and might have an shot at being a contender in a winter contest. But he also had The Judge($47MM) in there.

This just made me realize the he has been pretty busy with the MCU work the last decade or so.

How does this fall on the irony scale? A Sherlock would know …

Not Iron Man scale ...

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    How does this fall on the irony scale? A Sherlock would know …

Not Iron Man scale ...
    Fe that.

I know everyone except Carmen Ejojo. Should she be on my radar, given the company she's in?
    She's certainly a rising star. She played Coretta Scott King in Selma and has been a significant side character in both of the Fantastic Beasts films. She has not really had a big, mainstream breakout role yet. I'm not really sure why they put her on the poster as she is the least famous of the folks there, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Well, other than The Judge (an adult drama that is not the kind of film that gets a lot of marketing or does big boxoffice business), he has not starred in a film that made less than $100 mil at the boxoffice in the past decade. Sure, many of those are Marvel juggernauts, but both the Sherlock Holmes flicks were quite successful, earning over $180 mil each. I dunno if it will be in the top 5, but I expect DD to be among the top 10 films in our contest this winter.

-Jason "caveat... until we see the marketing start to really roll out there is a chance the film moves to a new release date" Evans

It is not part of our contest, but I forgot to tell all of you a few days ago that the Downton Abbey movie is really delightful.

The back half of this film is quite simply the best hour of Downton you've ever seen. Racing from one plot resolution to the next, it is thrilling and emotional with several very funny moments.

How dare a non franchise movie excel! (Frozen 9, Rambo XI, Toy Story 6 et al)...ironically, Downton (TV version) is hot in China, so the movie can excel over there just like the useless franchise films.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    How dare a non franchise movie excel! (Frozen 9, Rambo XI, Toy Story 6 et al)...ironically, Downton (TV version) is hot in China, so the movie can excel over there just like the useless franchise films.
    Are you suggesting Downton isn't just another Hollywood blockbuster franchise?

(mostly kidding)

Are you suggesting Downton isn't just another Hollywood blockbuster franchise?

(mostly kidding)

It could be if Quentin Tarantino directed it … Now that's a movie I'd pay to see!

Throw in cameos by George Clooney as Seth Gecko, Woody Harrelson as Micky Knox, Uma Thurman as The Bride, Brad Pitt as Aldo Raine AND Christopher Waltz as Hans Lada (cutesy plot twist brings them back together), and Jamie Foxx as Django … "That's a Bingo!"

My reviews will start to have more relevance to this contest starting the middle of next week (when I see Joker), but I figure this is as good a place as any to post my 100-word review of Judy, which features a potentially award-worthy performance by Renee Zellweger.

Sadly, we spend most of our time in Judy’s depression, watching her spiral downward. It makes the film difficult to enjoy, even though it is easy to appreciate the craft on screen.