• Maleficent 2 (Oct 18)

21 40.38%
  • Zombieland 2 (Oct 18)

5 9.62%
  • Terminator: Dark Fate (Nov 1)

8 15.38%
  • Frozen 2 (Nov 22)

51 98.08%
  • Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (Nov 22)

4 7.69%
  • Knives Out (Nov 27)

2 3.85%
  • Jumanji: Next Level (Dec 13)

48 92.31%
  • Star Wars 9 (Dec 20)

52 100.00%
  • Cats (Dec 20)

4 7.69%
  • Bad Boys III (Jan 17)

3 5.77%
  • Dr. Dolittle (Jan 17)

5 9.62%
  • Birds of Prey (Feb 7)

9 17.31%
  • Field

9 17.31%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    So I assume no mention of Ford vs Ferrari because it doesn't have enough CGI nonsense, and is based on something that actually happened...(it also has a few really actors like Christian Bale and Tracy Letts, along with Matt Damon who has some followers as well)...I guess you can't expect much out of a $98 million film.
    I mentioned it up thread. It has a shot (and is my pick to top the Field category).

Uh-oh... early boxoffice buzz is that Dark Fate is an apt title for the new Terminator film. There is now talk it won't even reach $30 mil in its opening weekend. Dark Fate might not even get to $100 mil in total boxoffice when its run is done. Yikes!
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Uh-oh... early boxoffice buzz is that Dark Fate is an apt title for the new Terminator film. There is now talk it won't even reach $30 mil in its opening weekend. Dark Fate might not even get to $100 mil in total boxoffice when its run is done. Yikes!
    And my streak is intact!

RIP my picks.

I’m holding out hope for Dark Fate. Audience score at 86%.

Ahhh crapola.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

yep. We're terminated. uncle.

https://www.thewrap.com/terminator-d...-expectations/

My wife and I might see Dark Fate on Sunday. But part of me would rather read -Udaman's great Joker Spoiler's thread post and then just go watch Joker again.

I thought Dark Fate might be a dark horse for that 5th spot. Grandma/Grandpa movies can do well. Last year around this time Grandma Jamie Lee Curtis and Grandpa Michael Meyers killed it. I thought Grandma Linda Hamilton and Grandpa Arnold had a chance to recreate similar magic if they made an incredible enough movie. Sounds like they missed that mark.

It still sounds like a fun movie, though, that original Terminator fans like me will enjoy as long as we know what to expect (some eye-rolling, some chuckles, some nostalgia, pure predictability, disappointing villain, great action). It will be worth the price of popcorn to see that action on the big screen for us, but understandably not for today's crowd who will probably be doing whatever it is they do on their phones all day. Little do they know that those phones are Skynet!

If you haven't yet, go see Parasite. Absolutely unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    If you haven't yet, go see Parasite. Absolutely unbelievable.
    Couldn't agree more!
    I can't stop thinking about it.
    Had some interesting dreams Saturday night because of the movie as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B. View Post
    Jason --

Are you hearing anything about Midway? The story of the actual battle is so compelling -- I really don't want them to screw it up, but I have a nagging sense I can't shake that they will, and this will be another Pearl Harbor.
    The review embargo has been lifted, and Midway currently has a 45% on Rotten Tomatoes with 29 reviews, and a 49 on Metacritic with 17 reviews. I'm not sure if those numbers are good or bad for a Roland Emmerich movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    The review embargo has been lifted, and Midway currently has a 45% on Rotten Tomatoes with 29 reviews, and a 49 on Metacritic with 17 reviews. I'm not sure if those numbers are good or bad for a Roland Emmerich movie.
    Now down to 39% on RT. Here is a list of Emmerich directed films from highest RT score to lowest.

Independence Day - 65% (this should be muuuch higher for one of the most fun popcorn movies around)
    The Patriot - 61% (personally, I did not like this. The bad guy is soooo evil and Mel is so tortured... the ending was not satisfying enough)
    Stargate - 51% (I could see this being a bit higher, it is a watchable flick)
    White House Down - 51% (year, that's about right)
    Anonymous - 46% (ugh, this was nonsense)
    The Day After Tomorrow - 44% (there was nothing real about this film and the characters were all idiots)
    2012 - 39% (was there anyone who was not stupid in the entire film?)
    Independence Day: Resurgence - 29% (way to ruin a really fun franchise!)
    Universal Soldier - 27% (believe it or not, I never saw this film... don't think I am missing anything)
    Godzilla (1998) - 16% (bad... just bad)
    Stonewall - 10% (never heard of this film)
    10,000 BC - 8% (there's 2 hours of my life I will never get back)

-Jason "he's made a lot of iconic films... though not many that were any good" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Now down to 39% on RT. Here is a list of Emmerich directed films from highest RT score to lowest.

Independence Day - 65% (this should be muuuch higher for one of the most fun popcorn movies around)
    The Patriot - 61% (personally, I did not like this. The bad guy is soooo evil and Mel is so tortured... the ending was not satisfying enough)
    Stargate - 51% (I could see this being a bit higher, it is a watchable flick)
    White House Down - 51% (year, that's about right)
    Anonymous - 46% (ugh, this was nonsense)
    The Day After Tomorrow - 44% (there was nothing real about this film and the characters were all idiots)
    2012 - 39% (was there anyone who was not stupid in the entire film?)
    Independence Day: Resurgence - 29% (way to ruin a really fun franchise!)
    Universal Soldier - 27% (believe it or not, I never saw this film... don't think I am missing anything)
    Godzilla (1998) - 16% (bad... just bad)
    Stonewall - 10% (never heard of this film)
    10,000 BC - 8% (there's 2 hours of my life I will never get back)

-Jason "he's made a lot of iconic films... though not many that were any good" Evans
    I never knew he made The Patriot. I loves me some patriotism and all but the British were so cartoonishly bad in that one it rubbed me the wrong way.

That's a lot of crappy-to-mediocre movies though.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I never knew he made The Patriot. I loves me some patriotism and all but the British were so cartoonishly bad in that one it rubbed me the wrong way.

That's a lot of crappy-to-mediocre movies though.
    It's also constantly in lists of "Most Historically Inaccurate" movies, up there with Braveheart. (Want to be wrong and still make money? I guess Gibson was the lead you needed.)

Irony of that is him saying in interviews that he strove for accuracy on Midway. No idea if he succeeded with it or not.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Irony of that is him saying in interviews that he strove for accuracy on Midway. No idea if he succeeded with it or not.
    I strove for accuracy in MA341 Differential equations and systems of differential equations at NC State. I never got there...but the struggle was real.

Ooops, meant to post this a couple days ago...

Here is my podcast and my 100 Word Review of Doctor Sleep. You will notice on the pod that Josh liked it a lot lot lot more than I did. I enjoyed the film and am glad I saw it, but think it did not need to be 2 1/2 hours long.

We can cross four more movies off the list, all of them where part of the "field".

Doctor Sleep
    Midway
    Playing with Fire
    Last Christmas

All opened under $20 million. Doctor Sleep and Midway in particular bombed pretty badly and came in well below expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    We can cross four more movies off the list, all of them where part of the "field".

Doctor Sleep
    Midway
    Playing with Fire
    Last Christmas

All opened under $20 million. Doctor Sleep and Midway in particular bombed pretty badly and came in well below expectations.
    well, the good news is that Midway won the weekend box office competition, but at a pitifully low level.
    For an Emmerich movie (emphasis) it's not that historically off the mark from what i've read...too bad it couldn't have been well done, because the subject matter is fascinating.

well, the good news is that Midway won the weekend box office competition, but at a pitifully low level.
    For an Emmerich movie (emphasis) it's not that historically off the mark from what i've read...too bad it couldn't have been well done, because the subject matter is fascinating.
    All the ads made it look fairly tacky/over the top to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    All the ads made it look fairly tacky/over the top to me.
    yeah, he took a fascinating historical story and put his tacky Hollywood juice all of it when none was required...not his worst job of distorting history, but nothing admirable, either.

yeah, he took a fascinating historical story and put his tacky Hollywood juice all of it when none was required...not his worst job of distorting history, but nothing admirable, either.
    Emmerich spends a lot of money making visual eye candy without much of a real story or believable characters. For this film, he did not have as much money.

-Jason "I will likely see 300+ films** this year... and I won't be seeing Midway. That should tell you something" Evans

**- I chair the film selection committee of a fairly large film festival. I watch 100+ Hollywood films and 200+ for the film festival

News flash: I loved loved loved Ford v Ferrari. Here is my 100-word review: http://flixchat.blogspot.com/2019/11...ws-ford-v.html

The sound, lighting, and editing are all award caliber. But, it is the emotive performances of Damon and Bale that really make this pic soar.

-Jason "it may not quite be a Best Picture nominee, but it sure comes close and I suspect this film will get a lot of award nominations" Evans