Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

ACC Football Week 4

Apologies to Bob Green for starting his thread early but I didn't see anywhere else to put this from a News and Observer article on this Saturday's game between App. St. and the Heels.

"Wide receiver Corey Sutton, who was suspended for the first two games after a marijuana-related arrest in June, apparently will play Saturday. When asked about Sutton’s status, Drinkwitz said, “He’s ready to roll.”"
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Apologies to Bob Green for starting his thread early but I didn't see anywhere else to put this from a News and Observer article on this Saturday's game between App. St. and the Heels.

"Wide receiver Corey Sutton, who was suspended for the first two games after a marijuana-related arrest in June, apparently will play Saturday. When asked about Sutton’s status, Drinkwitz said, “He’s ready to roll.”"
    Isn't that what got him in trouble in the first place?

43755_400x400.jpg
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

This is a dubious way to start a thread.

Week 4 games (all on Saturday):

Boston College at Rutgers, 12:00 pm, BTN
    Western Michigan at Syracuse, 12:00 pm, ACCN
    Elon at Wake Forest, 12:00 pm, ACCNX
    UCF at Pittsburgh, 3:30 pm, ABC/ESPN2
    Appalachian State at UNC, 3:30 pm, ACCNX
    Louisville at Florida State, 3:30 pm, ESPN
    Central Michigan at Miami, 4:00 pm, ACCN
    Old Dominion at #21 Virginia, 7:00 pm, ESPN2
    Ball State at N.C. State, 7:00 pm, ESPNU
    Charlotte at #1 Clemson, 7:30 pm, ACCN
    Bob Green

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Week 4 games (all on Saturday):
    Charlotte at #1 Clemson, 7:30 pm, ACCN
    Nice job, ACCN. That one is totally prime time worthy.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I'll take over.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    It’s a meh week. The only two better games are on ABC and ESPN. So yeah, by default, this one is (the least un)worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    It’s a meh week. The only two better games are on ABC and ESPN. So yeah, by default, this one is (the least un)worthy.
    Worth noting that UCF at Pitt is a big game and well worth watching. There are precious few times that UCF plays legit P5 teams and those contests are always a good measuring stick for this outsider program that has been trying to crash the P5 party for several years. A big win could set UCF up to be in the playoff conversation again and this is likely the toughest game left on their schedule. Win this and there is a darn good chance (at least 40%, I think) UCF goes undefeated.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Worth noting that UCF at Pitt is a big game and well worth watching. There are precious few times that UCF plays legit P5 teams and those contests are always a good measuring stick for this outsider program that has been trying to crash the P5 party for several years. A big win could set UCF up to be in the playoff conversation again and this is likely the toughest game left on their schedule. Win this and there is a darn good chance (at least 40%, I think) UCF goes undefeated.
    Absolutely agree, this should be a fun game. And UNC is only -3 hosting App. State. Both worth watching.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Absolutely agree, this should be a fun game. And UNC is only -3 hosting App. State. Both worth watching.
    And that one gets the ACCNX dumpster. I will not be surprised at all if the Heels come away with a two game losing streak.

Go Yosef! Go Mountaineers!

Last edited by JasonEvans; 09-20-2019 at 12:23 PM.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

UNC given 70% chance to win here: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...l-predictions/

I agree. It's one of the two that I noted that is clearly a better matchup, and almost entirely because of UCF, not because of the ACC team. UCF *should* be in the playoff conversation if they win out; they will need help, however, in the form of bad and/or multiple losses by the traditional P5 powers currently expected to be in the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    UCF *should* be in the playoff conversation if they win out; they will need help, however, in the form of bad and/or multiple losses by the traditional P5 powers currently expected to be in the mix.
    Looking at UCF's schedule, how many teams in the top 10 would be 90%+ to go undefeated against that schedule? I think all of them. I strongly suspect every single top ten team would be a double digit favorite in every single game on UCF's schedule.

I'm not saying that if UCF goes unbeaten they should not be in the playoff conversation, but I do sorta understand the folks who think their schedule is close to disqualifying.

-Jason "is there really no way for UCF to schedule fellow P5 outsider Notre Dame? I wish they at least had like Michigan St or Okie St or Texas A&M... sigh" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Looking at UCF's schedule, how many teams in the top 10 would be 90%+ to go undefeated against that schedule? I think all of them. I strongly suspect every single top ten team would be a double digit favorite in every single game on UCF's schedule.

I'm not saying that if UCF goes unbeaten they should not be in the playoff conversation, but I do sorta understand the folks who think their schedule is close to disqualifying.

-Jason "is there really no way for UCF to schedule fellow P5 outsider Notre Dame? I wish they at least had like Michigan St or Okie St or Texas A&M... sigh" Evans
    They scheduled Stanford this year! Well, they scheduled them in 2014, to be played this year. In 2014, Stanford finished as the #12 team in the country per S&P+ (now SP+ at ESPN). Can we really blame them for misreading the tea leaves 5 years out?

The way football schedules are set up, it's nearly impossible for UCF to meet the standards the schedule naysayers want them to meet.

Quote Originally Posted by Hingeknocker View Post
    They scheduled Stanford this year! Well, they scheduled them in 2014, to be played this year. In 2014, Stanford finished as the #12 team in the country per S&P+ (now SP+ at ESPN). Can we really blame them for misreading the tea leaves 5 years out?

The way football schedules are set up, it's nearly impossible for UCF to meet the standards the schedule naysayers want them to meet.
    This (up arrow)

True, and if that's a major concern to a player or coach I say don't go to UCF and complain. Go somewhere that's not an issue. It is what it is, fair or not.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    True, and if that's a major concern to a player or coach I say don't go to UCF and complain. Go somewhere that's not an issue. It is what it is, fair or not.
    I mean...I personally don't think the pathway to a football championship should be so calcified that a finite number of schools even have a shot at it. Or that we should just give in and never complain about something that could be improved. I understand the pragmatic point you're making, but it would be very easy for the BCS to just expand the playoffs to 8, 12, or 16 teams so that every worthy team is in with a chance.

I mean...I personally don't think the pathway to a football championship should be so calcified that a finite number of schools even have a shot at it. Or that we should just give in and never complain about something that could be improved. I understand the pragmatic point you're making, but it would be very easy for the BCS to just expand the playoffs to 8, 12, or 16 teams so that every worthy team is in with a chance.
    But that's a separate issue...and I think we will see it opened up some. But a scholarship does not guarantee a shot at a national title, and this always gets debated as if it does. At least not now. So if you've gone to a smaller school in the last 20 years, or are going now, you need to know the reality of today and not complain. That's separate from hoping the system expands.

But let's be real, UCF is a 4-5-6 loss team in the SEC, so it's not the calcified system (I do like that word) as much as it is the reality of FB now. It's a big school sport...and while UCF is now a big school, it hasn't been for very long, thus there are not the alumni as they are with, say, Florida or Georgia.

Oh, one more quibble. The BCS was changed to a play off just a few years ago. That's not really calcified....though I still ike the term.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post

But let's be real, UCF is a 4-5-6 loss team in the SEC, so it's not the calcified system (I do like that word) as much as it is the reality of FB now. It's a big school sport...and while UCF is now a big school, it hasn't been for very long, thus there are not the alumni as they are with, say, Florida or Georgia.
    Your logic is sound but I do think UCF has a legitimate chance to be a top SEC team. Given the quality of instate recruits along with actually being in the SEC, would allow it to compete in recruiting at close to that level. Add in the whole Disney/Orlando factor and it would be a great destination to recruit to. Once you can compete to get top recruits, you can be a top team. Also, losing 4-6 games in the SEC could still make you a top 15 (maybe top 10) team this year...