Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    last year we made the VT quarterback look like Tom Brady...clearly need a better effort this year...I know this isn't a vintage VT team, but neither was last year's (they had a losing record).
    Agreed. At this point I’ll take a non-pathetic start and a competitive game into the 4th quarter. Duke was abysmal against the VA teams last season and looked completely unprepared (Wake as well)...

Extracting these from the basketball recruiting thread.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Now that would be something: "I will sign a letter of intent with the school that wins this afternoon's football game!"
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Duke is expected to be a small favorite in the game with Va Tech.
    yeah, just like last year when we were ranked, undefeated, on national TV, and laid a massive turd egg against VT...I hope they learned something from that. Maybe it helps that it's at VT...great atmosphere at last year's game, then our performance just sucked the life out of the crowd...a truly abysmal performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Who is expecting this? I’m not and doubt the Vegas opening line will have us favored. We shall see😏
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    All the computer models say Duke is favored. Sagarin's computer says we should be a 4 point favorite, even though the game is in Blacksburg.

That said, because bettors are trained to think Va Tech is good and Duke is bad, I expect the game will open very close to break-even... and I expect the sharps to be eyeing this game as one where they may be able to make some real money if the line is too pro-Va Tech.
    The computer models mean very little this early in the season...I think Sagarin would readily concede this...yes, we could be favored, but I wouldn't put money on our chances at this point...
    I'll throw in my 2 cents. This is not a stance on who will actually win the game because I don't pay enough attention to football, but as for the point spread, I'd be surprised if the Hokies playing at home aren't at least a field goal favorite over Duke.

And yes, beware of early season, small sample variance. Last year, the Hokies had just lost by 2 TDs to ODU before coming to Duke and drubbing us.

Good news is that we are long time Duke football fans who know how to take disappointment...(though the last decade has clearly been pleasing)...hopeful about the Hokies, but won't be surprised if we win or lose...

the only thing I am certain of is that the only thing I hate more than Friday night games is weekends when Duke is on a bye.

Perhaps an advantage is gained by the game being in Blacksburg. Duke has been a solid road team during the Coach Cutcliffe era with both our wins over VT (2013 and 2015) being road wins.

We had four P5 road wins last season: Northwestern, Baylor, Georgia Tech, Miami

I also like us coming off a bye:

2018: Beat Georgia Tech
    2017: Loss to Army
    2016: Loss to Georgia Tech
    2015: Beat Virginia Tech
    2014: Beat Georgia Tech, Beat Pittsburgh
    2013: Beat Navy, Beat N.C. State
    2012: Loss to Georgia Tech

Starting with the first bowl eligible season under Coach Cutcliffe, Duke is 6-3 after a bye.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    I'll throw in my 2 cents. This is not a stance on who will actually win the game because I don't pay enough attention to football, but as for the point spread, I'd be surprised if the Hokies playing at home aren't at least a field goal favorite over Duke.

And yes, beware of early season, small sample variance. Last year, the Hokies had just lost by 2 TDs to ODU before coming to Duke and drubbing us.
    One last point is that there's still a week of games to be played before the line is set. Perhaps if BC is crushed by lowly Rutgers, perception is not enough to overcome the computer numbers and Duke enters as a slight favorite. Barring unusual occurrences though, I wouldn't expect Duke to be the outright favorite, and it would be more like a pick em.

That said, IMO Duke's worst performance of the season was better than Virginia Tech's best performance of the season. Maybe that is small sample stuff, but I hope we all realize that we have a real chance to win this game and run out to a 3-0 start in the ACC with strong play.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    A few early season injuries in VT secondary: https://www.roanoke.com/sports/colle...90d4218c3.html
    FIFY. As stated, it meant the opposite of what you intended...

A couple of podcast links starting with the DBR podcast gang (Jason, Sam and Donald):

https://soundcloud.com/dbrpodcast/db...chedule-is-out

Football content starts at the 29:10 mark so feel free to fast forward through all that basketball malarkey - it is football season people!

Devils Den podcast with lots of football discussion:

https://247sports.com/college/duke/A...TSU-135758175/
    Bob Green

More Virginia Tech articles:

https://www.roanoke.com/sports/colle...9c4810236.html

Offensive Coordinator Brad Cornelson on Jerry Kill's role:

Offense has been what he’s done the most throughout the years, in particular his ability in the run game, to establish the run. I think that will be the first place we go to him just for ideas and evaluation and ways that he can help us.
    Freshman running back Keshawn King is talented so Duke will have to be ready to deal with him.

Head Coach Justin Fuentes hopes to have multiple players back in action against Duke but wide receiver Damon Hazelton remains an unknown:

https://www.roanoke.com/sports/colle...73fa277cd.html

A name noticeable absent from the list is starting receiver Damon Hazelton, who has missed all three games this season with an injured hamstring.
    Duke fans can certainly identify with the uncertainty associated with hamstring injuries after the struggles of Aaron Young last year.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    More Virginia Tech articles:

https://www.roanoke.com/sports/colle...9c4810236.html

Offensive Coordinator Brad Cornelson on Jerry Kill's role:

Freshman running back Keshawn King is talented so Duke will have to be ready to deal with him.

Head Coach Justin Fuentes hopes to have multiple players back in action against Duke but wide receiver Damon Hazelton remains an unknown:

https://www.roanoke.com/sports/colle...73fa277cd.html

Duke fans can certainly identify with the uncertainty associated with hamstring injuries after the struggles of Aaron Young last year.
    I think Bracey also had a lingering hamstring injury his freshman year. Or was it a quadriceps injury? Or just an unspecified lower body injury"
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Duke is 2-1 against the spread; VT is 0-3 against the spread: http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-.../virginia-tech

I count six Virginians on Duke's roster: https://goduke.com/roster.aspx?path=football

I count seventeen North Carolinians on VT's roster: https://hokiesports.com/roster.aspx?path=football

VT's roster also includes Jon Tenuta's son.

Josh Blackwell and Quentin Harris met with the media today. Interviews are up at GoDuke.com:

Josh Blackwell

Quentin Harris
    Bob Green

Josh Blackwell and Quentin Harris met with the media today. Interviews are up at GoDuke.com:

Josh Blackwell

Quentin Harris
    Thanks for that. From Q's interview -- sounds like Bobo is back. Cool. Take the over.

Quentin spouts cliches ... and yet, I could listen to them all day. It seems like there's a lot of thoughtfulness there underneath his 'don't say toooo much' mindset. I recall Battier saying something senior year about hoping to never answer a question w/ a cliche.

I didn't realize Q's dad played for Georgia. I would like to buy stock in Q's future earnings given his academic accomplishments, work ethic, and five years' worth of Cut tutelage:

graduated from Duke in May, 2019, with a public policy studies degree, economics minor and certificate in innovation and entrepreneurship ... currently pursuing a master’s in management studies ... son of Terry and Kevin Harris ... father lettered three seasons (1982-83-84) as a defensive back at Georgia, helping the Bulldogs to a three-year record of 28-6-2, the 1982 SEC championship and three bowl appearances (1982 Sugar, 1983 Cotton & 1984 Citrus)

Perhaps an advantage is gained by the game being in Blacksburg. Duke has been a solid road team during the Coach Cutcliffe era with both our wins over VT (2013 and 2015) being road wins.
    I'll be there next Friday night, as I have been for the last 3 games up there, and I'm 2-1! The torrential rain during the game 2 years ago kept the women in our party away.

Anyway, looking forward to another Duke win! Duke 33 - VT 20.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    Agreed. At this point I’ll take a non-pathetic start and a competitive game into the 4th quarter. Duke was abysmal against the VA teams last season and looked completely unprepared (Wake as well)...
    Wake? What Wake? Who is this Wake? I have no memory of any Wake....

Seven days (168 hours) until kick off. Bye week is so challenging to my patience.
    Bob Green

Beat VT and then we owe Pitt at home and we own GT. 5-1 heading to UVA ranked in the top 20 and UVA #12 in the country. Great press will happen for our program along with Daniel Jones being on a 3 or 4 game winning streak. Coach Cut parlays that into adding 6 4* recruits along with 3 more high 3* for a total class of 21. The start of becoming the old Stanford of the east. Top 15 program Set your goals high. Go Devils

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    One last point is that there's still a week of games to be played before the line is set. Perhaps if BC is crushed by lowly Rutgers, perception is not enough to overcome the computer numbers and Duke enters as a slight favorite. Barring unusual occurrences though, I wouldn't expect Duke to be the outright favorite, and it would be more like a pick em.

That said, IMO Duke's worst performance of the season was better than Virginia Tech's best performance of the season. Maybe that is small sample stuff, but I hope we all realize that we have a real chance to win this game and run out to a 3-0 start in the ACC with strong play.
    I still must insist that it'll be VaTech by at least a FG. Again, I'm not picking the Hokies to win, and Duke may very well be the sharp play with sharps eventually pushing the line towards Duke. But we will open as an underdog in Blacksburg, dork rankings be damned.

(Not that any of this matters. Unless you want to bet pie/beer on it :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    I still must insist that it'll be VaTech by at least a FG. Again, I'm not picking the Hokies to win, and Duke may very well be the sharp play with sharps eventually pushing the line towards Duke. But we will open as an underdog in Blacksburg, dork rankings be damned.

(Not that any of this matters. Unless you want to bet pie/beer on it :-)
    Anyone who sat thru last year's VT debacle would be hard pressed to think we're favorites. Not saying we can't or won't win, but an entirely better effort will be required, including that of our coaches.