Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

TV Holiday Shows

OK the holidays are fast approaching. This got me to wondering about something lighthearted. Specifically, do you have one or two favorite TV Holiday Shows?

I'll start things off by saying the Peanuts shows (Charlie Brown Thanksgiving and the Christmas one) is my favorite followed closely by the story of Santa and "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" (with Boris Karloff narrative).

What are your favorites?

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by knights68 View Post
    OK the holidays are fast approaching. This got me to wondering about something lighthearted. Specifically, do you have one or two favorite TV Holiday Shows?

I'll start things off by saying the Peanuts shows (Charlie Brown Thanksgiving and the Christmas one) is my favorite followed closely by the story of Santa and "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" (with Boris Karloff narrative).

What are your favorites?
    "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" - the classic Karloff version
    "The Year Without a Santa Claus" - Rankin/Bass stop-motion animation with Heat Miser and Snow Miser
    "A Charlie Brown Christmas"
    "The Snowman" - 1982 Oscar-nominated short from Raymond Briggs
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

What are your favorites?
    Clearly "The Christimas Toy" - Jim Henson's 1986 real life / puppet crossover. Plus it was entirely sponsored by Kraft, so they had a different meal on lovely display every commercial.

Also, the claymation Rudolph (boy that abominable snowman was scary as a small child) and A Charlie Brown Christmas

Does the fact that TBS (or is it TNT) plays it in a 24-hour marathon make the movie "A Christmast Story" count as a holiday TV special?

Even my DAD, scrooge that he can be, knows every line to the movie; my family would kick any other family's heiny in this game:

http://www.skymall.com/shopping/deta...d=102518645&c=

As DBR's self-appointed Head Elf, let me weigh in.

"The Grinch" (the original...duh) is so perfect as a holiday special that it needs no mention. If you do not like it, you are clearly a Communist. Or Jewish (if it is the latter, let me be crystal clear that I have no problem with that).
    "A Charlie Brown Christmas" is likewise perfect, unassailable, and an essential element of your yearly playlist.
    The claymation pantheon (Rudolph, Santa Claus is Comin' to Town, etc.) is also not to be missed.

A lesser-known favorite of mine is "A Muppet Family Christmas." The one where they get snowed in in the mountains and John Denver shows up to sing. Fantastic. Not to be confused with "The Muppet Christmas Carol," which is likewise delightful.

If we want to get into feature-length Christmas films, I'd also love to do that, though I'd prefer to start that thread after the holidays have begun in earnest. Come to think of it, you can all count on Christmas-related threads from me on an EarlJam-like scale during the Yuletide season. I LOVE Christmas.

Claymation Rudolf is the classic that always takes me back to my childhood. It has to be my favorite.

Also, The Grinch has to be second, followed by Frosty the Snowman.

I also love all things Christmas. I haven't had a Christmas tree in three years. This year, that will change.

-EarlJam

Thumbs up

White Christmas, The Bishop's Wife (the original), Christmas in Connecticut.

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    I haven't had a Christmas tree in three years. This year, that will change.
    -EarlJam

In 3 years? What are you, a commie?
    I have had a tress in some capacity for years and years, even a little one footer at the office one year (it was a funny mini year!).

You should get a tree, put all the trimmings on then invite all your pals over for a big Christmas party to properly christen both your new tree and the holiday season! If you're gonna do it, do it right and do it aaallllll the way!

Quote Originally Posted by dukemomLA View Post
    White Christmas, The Bishop's Wife (the original), Christmas in Connecticut.
    Especially The Bishop's Wife, but A Christmas Carol starring George C. Scott is right on the money.

HBO did a half-hour film asking different kids their thoughts about the holiday, including musical interludes. I can't remember the title.

What are your favorites?
    it's the same ones year after year...frankly I'm tired of them.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Do your favorite Charlie Brown Christmas character dance!

And remember, Violet can't dance. (I still think Men Without Hats stole the Safety Dance from her! Obscure pop culture reference of the day. You're welcome.)

A Charlie Brown Christmas is appointment television and I still like to watch it as it happens. I like A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving too, although that one doesn't get shown anymore so I did buy the DVD. Popcorn and toast anyone?

ETA: I'm Laettner at 243!

The Bishop's Wife I don't care for-- Grant's performance is wooden, Niven indifferent-- I was really let down.

Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas is what I'm talkin bout. I'd pay money to see the Riverbottom Nightmare Band.

Not so fast, my friend...

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    I haven't had a Christmas tree in three years. This year, that will change.

-EarlJam
    Umm... any idea how the drought will affect tree availability and prices?

Cheers?
    Lavabe

P.S. Having computer/mouse issues, so apologies if this comes through twice.

oh, well

I was going to mention Christmas Vacation, but Dawg beat me to it.

("Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas, Kiss my I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this., kiss his I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this., kiss your I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this., Happy Hanukkah")

I used to sob annually at Nestor the Long-eared Donkey.

As for Christmas trees, I remember after the 2002 drought, the trees were so light I could pick up a seven-footer with one hand.

I seem to recall...

a few holiday specials with the looney tunes back when I was younger, but I haven't seen those in a while. Are they still around?

Family tradition

I've been using the same tree we used when I was growing up. In a few weeks it will be hauled out for it's 33rd or 34th Christmas.

Whilst decorating my tree I love to have the movie White Christmas playing as it really gets me in the spirit.

One of my favorite Christmas activities is to turn off all the lamps, light all my candles, and turn on all the Christmas lights. And, if it's cold enough have a fire going in the ole fire place. Even though I live in North Carolina, I feel like I'm in Vermont where I spent many a Christmas. I also like to play all my favorite Christmas movies while the Christmas lights are on; White Christmas, Miracle on 34th Street (the original), and It's a Wonderful Life.

I can't wait for the day after Thanksgiving.

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    So far unmentioned, the all-time camp Christmas special, "The Year Without a Santa Claus."

This should get mention just on the power of the classic "Heat Miser / Snow Miser" songs. But elements such as a reindeer being mistaken for a stray dog and impounded at the animal shelter (necessitating an undercover rescue by a streetclothes-wearing Santa) make this "special" about as close as we can get to "Plan 9 from Outer Space" during the holiday season.

In case you missed it, this special is so good that they made a live-action, 2 hour TV remake, which just goes to show, sometimes you can't keep a bad idea down. I can't believe I missed this when it came out.

And seriously-- no one likes The Grinch Who Stole Christmas?
    Last edited by alteran; 11-09-2007 at 11:19 AM. Reason: oops-- missed a Grinch reference above

Quote Originally Posted by alteran View Post
    And seriously-- no one likes The Grinch Who Stole Christmas?
    I'm definitely not a fan. I hate the way he treats Max.

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    I'm definitely not a fan. I hate the way he treats Max.
    Once when my 3.5 year old daughter was mean to her brother I asked her why she did it. She said because her "heart was too small."

I was kinda spooked about that until my wife pointed out that it was an obvious reference to the Grinch.