Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Winter Movie Preview

When JE posts the Winter movie poll...I'm voting for this one. This looks like hilarious fun.

Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    When JE posts the Winter movie poll...I'm voting for this one. This looks like hilarious fun.
    I kinda like the idea of using the same characters with new personalities in each movie. I'm sure a movie like this is a ton of fun for the actors!

I still havent watched the jumanji remake.jumanji is one of the films i prefer to remember the great robin williams in.then again i still havent seen e.t.
    My children watched it though.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    I still havent watched the jumanji remake.jumanji is one of the films i prefer to remember the great robin williams in.then again i still havent seen e.t.
    It's not a remake, it's a reboot, and it's totally worth checking out. You won't regret it.
    It lets the first movie still stand on its own as it is a different story, only tied together by the fact that people are stuck in the game.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

It's not a remake, it's a reboot, and it's totally worth checking out. You won't regret it.
    It lets the first movie still stand on its own as it is a different story, only tied together by the fact that people are stuck in the game.
    Totally agree, it's just a really fun movie with a lot of action and laughs. I don't want to like The Rock as an actor, but it's hard not to.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Totally agree, it's just a really fun movie with a lot of action and laughs. I don't want to like The Rock as an actor, but it's hard not to.
    Admit it...you are mesmerized by his "Smoldering Intensity".

Dr. Sleep trailer... not sure whether it will be a contender in our poll, but this looks like a very solid sequel to The Shining.

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I felt the same way but was happy and relieved that it was a fitting sequel to the original. It doesn’t diminish the first one and builds a modern take on the Jumanji game.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Admit it...you are mesmerized by his "Smoldering Intensity".
    I will be curious to see if that scene goes from funny to dramatic. I wonder if it turns out that The Rock's Devito is having a stroke.

Question for the masses... we have this debate every year... when should we start and when should we finish our winter movie contest?

Do we start in October? If so, we include Joker, Maleficent 2, Gemini Man, Jexi, and Zombieland 2. All of those could be contenders.

Do we extend into February? If so, we include Birds of Prey, Kingsmen 3, and Fantasy Island.

We generally exclude October and include February. Including Feb has given us films like Black Panther, How to Train Your Dragon 3, and a couple Lego Movies. But, excluding October meant we missed out on A Star is Born and Venom last year, both of which would have made the contest a lot of fun.

The way I look at it, there are more contenders in October than February this year so I think we should go Oct-Nov-Dec-Jan for this year's contest. Maybe we allow Birds of Prey (which opens Feb 7th) but not the rest of the stuff that month (frankly, none of the others are real contenders... maybe Kingsman 3).

I want opinions, people!

Also, just for edification, here are some of the contenders we will be voting on for Nov-Dec-Jan:

Star Wars 9, Jumanji 2, Terminator Dark Fate, Bad Boys For Life, Frozen 2, Ford vs. Ferrari, Cats, Knives Out, A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, Charlie's Angels, and the Voyage of Dr. Doolittle.

It is a more wide open contest than usual, IMO. Sure, there are a couple/few mortal locks but the field is wide after those flicks and at least 2 spots will be up for grabs.

-Jason "help me..." Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Do we start in October? If so, we include Joker, Maleficent 2, Gemini Man, Jexi, and Zombieland 2. All of those could be contenders.
    Could be, but won't be. I could see M2 making it since it's Disney, but not the others. Not a big fan of including out of the season, but if someone wants to take the chance, then go for it.
    FYI, M1 made 241 mil, with weak ratings. It also was a Summer release though, and being that M2 is not taking advantage of a holiday release, it would be a huge risk.

Could be, but won't be. I could see M2 making it since it's Disney, but not the others. Not a big fan of including out of the season, but if someone wants to take the chance, then go for it.
    FYI, M1 made 241 mil, with weak ratings. It also was a Summer release though, and being that M2 is not taking advantage of a holiday release, it would be a huge risk.
    See, this is why I think we should include October, because I think at least one of those films absolutely would be a strong contender if included. In fact, I am fairly confident at least 1 October release will make more than $200 mil in boxoffice (I'm just not sure which one) this year.

-Jason "A Star is Born ($215m), Venom ($213m), The Martian ($228m), and Gravity ($274m) are all recent Oct releases who did big biz at the boxoffice" Evans

Question for the masses... we have this debate every year... when should we start and when should we finish our winter movie contest?

Do we extend into February? If so, we include Birds of Prey, Kingsmen 3, and Fantasy Island.

We generally exclude October and include February. Including Feb has given us films like Black Panther, How to Train Your Dragon 3, and a couple Lego Movies. But, excluding October meant we missed out on A Star is Born and Venom last year, both of which would have made the contest a lot of fun.

The way I look at it, there are more contenders in October than February this year so I think we should go Oct-Nov-Dec-Jan for this year's contest. Maybe we allow Birds of Prey (which opens Feb 7th) but not the rest of the stuff that month (frankly, none of the others are real contenders... maybe Kingsman 3).

I want opinions, people!

Also, just for edification, here are some of the contenders we will be voting on for Nov-Dec-Jan:

Star Wars 9, Jumanji 2, Terminator Dark Fate, Bad Boys For Life, Frozen 2, Ford vs. Ferrari, Cats, Knives Out, A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, Charlie's Angels, and the Voyage of Dr. Doolittle.

It is a more wide open contest than usual, IMO. Sure, there are a couple/few mortal locks but the field is wide after those flicks and at least 2 spots will be up for grabs.

-Jason "help me..." Evans
    I'd like to include Birds of Prey, because I'd like to vote for it because I try to vote for movies I'd like to see.

I'm thinking SW9 might top the next 4 combined. At least the next 3.

Bad Boys For Life - aka Bad Boys with Walkers?

Ok i may give it a look.i assumed it was a remake didnt want to ruin my take on the original.thanks for the heads up.

Not a winter movie, but I thought I would drop this in here.

Hustlers is like a visit to a strip club... tantalizing, but ultimately disappointing. So says Atlanta Film Critics Circle member Jason Evans in his latest 100 Word Review.
    http://flixchat.blogspot.com/2019/09...-hustlers.html

Not a winter movie, but I thought I would drop this in here.

Hustlers is like a visit to a strip club... tantalizing, but ultimately disappointing. So says Atlanta Film Critics Circle member Jason Evans in his latest 100 Word Review.
    http://flixchat.blogspot.com/2019/09...-hustlers.html
    What a wasted opportunity for use of the word "titillating"! Isn't bad wordplay like one of the first things covered in Film Criticism 101?

What a wasted opportunity for use of the word "titillating"! Isn't bad wordplay like one of the first things covered in Film Criticism 101?
    Sorry, I took the course that taught, "don't make obvious puns," instead.

Sorry, I took the course that taught, "don't make obvious puns," instead.
    Moderating DBR must be murder...

Moderating DBR must be murder...
    Even in the movie thread, I'm too chicken to suggest a "Murder Most Fowl," I'll just duck for cover.

See, this is why I think we should include October, because I think at least one of those films absolutely would be a strong contender if included. In fact, I am fairly confident at least 1 October release will make more than $200 mil in boxoffice (I'm just not sure which one) this year.

-Jason "A Star is Born ($215m), Venom ($213m), The Martian ($228m), and Gravity ($274m) are all recent Oct releases who did big biz at the boxoffice" Evans
    I'll vote to include October. But I don't really care or know that much about movies, so I'm good with whatever.