Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    I like to browse local newspapers for coverage of our opponent especially with an out-of-conference foe:

Murfreesboro Daily News Journal: https://www.dnj.com/blue-raiders/

Here is a "Five Things We Learned..." article from the Blue Raiders win over Tennessee State:

https://www.dnj.com/story/sports/col...um/2187221001/

Head Coach Rick Stockstill on the Blue Raiders receivers:

This is the fastest and I think the best we've been at receiver in a long time. We didn't have the speed we have now last year or the year before. We've got some guys that can run and take the top off of the defense that we haven't had in some time.
    I'm confident in the skills and abilities of our secondary but the defensive line is going to have to disrupt quarterback Asher O'Hara's rhythm and not allow him to find his groove to take advantage of the Blue Raiders receiver talent.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I'm confident in the skills and abilities of our secondary but the defensive line is going to have to disrupt quarterback Asher O'Hara's rhythm and not allow him to find his groove to take advantage of the Blue Raiders receiver talent.
    Thanks, good info.

Didn't get the last game on our TV here, but from the 'Bama game (at least my perspective in the stands) -- our secondary did fairly well against the pass early when we got to Tua. Even later when he started hitting, it mainly was due to good protection that let longer drag routes across the middle and underneath the deep coverage develop. I have confidence in our secondary in this game, but if you give a good quarterback enough time you will be in trouble against any decent receiving corps.

Duke 31
    MTSU 20
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    WTH? No predictions yet?

Based on our slowish start vs A&T and the 13 points we gave up to them, I'll go with:

Duke 31
    MTSU 20
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Duke 31
    MTSU 20
    Great minds and all that stuff...

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Jim Sumner on Jalon Calhoun:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...-duke-football

Coach Cutcliffe quote:

I think he throws it well. We’ll see that at some point.
    Cue up the end around pass play...or in the current vernacular the end around RPO.
    Bob Green

I'm taking the over on this game and the Duke cover of Vegas and Sagarin. It will be a game for a longer time than we expect.

Duke---42
    MTSU--28

I'm taking the over also:

Duke 48
    MTSU 21

We play with much more discipline this outing.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Duke 43
    MTSU 17

Duke offense goes over 400 yards, defense +2 or better in turnover margin

Duke 48 - MTSU 17
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Michigan beat this team 40-21 at home but it was the opener. Not feeling particularly confident but I’ll go with:

Duke: 27
    MTSU: 17

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    Michigan beat this team 40-21 at home but it was the opener. Not feeling particularly confident but I’ll go with:

Duke: 27
    MTSU: 17
    You oughtta talk Ozzie and/or killer left into pie bets...

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    You oughtta talk Ozzie and/or killer left into pie bets...

😀

Based upon my betting history, the opposite of my pick will definitely happen then...

Uniform

White helmet with Duke in script, white jerseys and white pants. Duke counters the MTSU blackout by wearing all white.
    Bob Green

Im a little bit upset about the TV coverage of Duke games this season. I thought that having a dedicated ACC Network would make it easier to watch Duke Football not more difficult.

Last week's NC A&T game was the first game in a number of years that I did not get to watch.

Third game of the season and I frankly don't know what to think about this Duke team. WRs seem to have stepped up this year and at least answered one of the big summer question marks. On the other hand, the running game hasn't looked as dynamic as I expected. And I don't have a handle on Quentin yet. I know he throws a very nice deep ball, but 2 of his 4 college games have come against FCS schools.

Feels like this is one of the biggest Duke football games in a while. MTSU is well coached, and Stockstill will have talent on the field. We have to fix the discipline issues: penalties, mistakes. Can we run the ball this week? I think we need to get back to Duke football, win 1st downs on Off and Def, win the penalties and TO battle, take our shots when available and hopefully don't give up any big plays.
    Last edited by Bob Green; 09-12-2019 at 02:19 PM.

I'm seeing a lot of high total points predicted but I like our defense to hold down the MTSU score while our offense scores enough to easily cover the spread. I'm taking Duke and the under:

Duke 31, MTSU 17.
    Bob Green

I'm seeing a lot of high total points predicted but I like our defense to hold down the MTSU score while our offense scores enough to easily cover the spread. I'm taking Duke and the under:

Duke 31, MTSU 17.
    Feels like a lower scoring game does favor Duke, but what do I know. I will be interested to see how aggressive we get on Def. Do we stick to our base 4-2-5 and make them earn every yard, or do we try to blitz a little more and risk giving up big plays to their WRs.

White helmet with Duke in script, white jerseys and white pants. Duke counters the MTSU blackout by wearing all white.
    Good call for the blackout....

This video clip shows a side view of the first Quentin Harris to Jalon Calhoun TD pass. All I have seen previously were clips from behind with the announcer saying the defender slipped. He slipped alright, he slipped because Calhoun juked him out of his jockstrap! Calhoun fakes a cut to the left then flies by the defender headed deep. The defensive back slips while trying to recover.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1172239427889971202
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by rtnorthrup View Post
    Im a little bit upset about the TV coverage of Duke games this season. I thought that having a dedicated ACC Network would make it easier to watch Duke Football not more difficult.

Last week's NC A&T game was the first game in a number of years that I did not get to watch.

Third game of the season and I frankly don't know what to think about this Duke team. WRs seem to have stepped up this year and at least answered one of the big summer question marks. On the other hand, the running game hasn't looked as dynamic as I expected. And I don't have a handle on Quentin yet. I know he throws a very nice deep ball, but 2 of his 4 college games have come against FCS schools.

Feels like this is one of the biggest Duke football games in a while. MTSU is well coached, and Stockstill will have talent on the field. We have to fix the discipline issues: penalties, mistakes. Can we run the ball this week? I think we need to get back to Duke football, win 1st downs on Off and Def, win the penalties and TO battle, take our shots when available and hopefully don't give up any big plays.
    Yeah, tough to tell what we've got...we were outmanned vs Bama, we largely outmanned A&T, we should (emphasis) be better than MTSU...then we get into that string of crucial games (not that MTSU isn't) where they could go either way...
    VT, GT, Pitt, all eminently winnable and loseable...gotta (IMO) win at least three of the next four as things get tougher after that...

The Tennessean has an article on Cutcliffe today. Evidently he was very close after the 1998 season to signing on as head coach of MTSU. He said it was a job that he "would have without question taken", but then Tuberville snuck out the door at Ole Miss who then offered the job to Cutcliffe without interviewing. I thought at the time that Tuberville pulled a low one, leaving one conference team for another, but given this information, Cutcliffe might never have sniffed the Duke job if Tuberville hadn't pulled what he did; Cut could well have landed at UT after Fulmer's dismissal and then who knows what would have happened?