Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    There is only one USC. This is its band.

https://youtu.be/vJyRisT-GB8

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    As you should! I never begrudge anyone for rooting for an underdog against any of my teams. Now, root for Ohio State (aka the UNC of the Midwest) and we’ll have a problem
    THE Ohio State University could go 9-3 this year, and the fans would scream that they still deserve to be in the playoffs.

The one thing I have in common with Michigan fans — tOSU sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Tennessee, we need to talk.
    IDK how editing Wikipedia works, but it appears someone made a recent edit (since reversed) that is still served on the Google search results:
    Attached Images Attached Images

I know programs ascend and descend, but having colleged in the 1990s, I find the present conditions of FSU, Tennessee and Nebraska jarring to encounter.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    I know programs ascend and descend, but having colleged in the 1990s, I find the present conditions of FSU, Tennessee and Nebraska jarring to encounter.
    Makes you really appreciate the long term success our favorite program has experienced.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Tennessee is the one that vexes me the most. They seemed bullet proof to a degree...SEC East, big big stadium and all the money they needed...FSU is located in the sweltering part of Florida that is really just South Georgia in a way....and they do not have the "U of" cred that Florida has...and Nebraska is in the midwest...isolated many miles from anywhere. Players seem to be gravitating towards warmer climates, the coastal regions, as a "general" rule.

As a BYU grad and long-time BYU football fan, I was ecstatic at the double-overtime outcome of the Tennessee game. After getting schooled by our arch-rival Utah week one, I figured we'd start the season 0-2 with the trip to Tennessee.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Tennessee is the one that vexes me the most. They seemed bullet proof to a degree...SEC East, big big stadium and all the money they needed...FSU is located in the sweltering part of Florida that is really just South Georgia in a way...and they do not have the "U of" cred that Florida has...and Nebraska is in the midwest...isolated many miles from anywhere. Players seem to be gravitating towards warmer climates, the coastal regions, as a "general" rule.
    I think the biggest issue for Tennessee is that their natural recruiting base has seen major encroachment from a number of "non-traditional" rivals" over the past ~10 years - namely Memphis, Mississippi State, Kentucky and Louisville. And going back a little further, Virginia Tech. And that's in addition to Saban generally getting whomever he targets within the SEC region. The UT talent level these days is down pretty noticeably from the Majors and Fulmer eras.

On a positive Tennessee note, at least the environment won't be subjected to as much incessant Rocky Top.

ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    THE Ohio State University could go 9-3 this year, and the fans would scream that they still deserve to be in the playoffs.

The one thing I have in common with Michigan fans — tOSU sucks.
    What silliness. OSU has barely missed the playoffs multiple times with only one loss, and had a very good case for being in each time they missed out, including the year that they had two losses. Of course their fans wanted them in each time... fan is a shortened version of fanatic. 9-3? Michigan would take a three-loss season as a sign of progress. OSU would consider it a failure.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    As a BYU grad and long-time BYU football fan, I was ecstatic at the double-overtime outcome of the Tennessee game. After getting schooled by our arch-rival Utah week one, I figured we'd start the season 0-2 with the trip to Tennessee.
    Coming Attractions: Kalani Sitake and Mack Brown team-up as partners in next year's edition of "Dancing With The Stars" . . . .
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Buckminsterfuller View Post
    What silliness. OSU has barely missed the playoffs multiple times with only one loss, and had a very good case for being in each time they missed out, including the year that they had two losses. Of course their fans wanted them in each time... fan is a shortened version of fanatic. 9-3? Michigan would take a three-loss season as a sign of progress. OSU would consider it a failure.
    I was certainly being hyperbolic. Where we disagree though is how strong TheOSU’s arguments were in the years they were excluded. Reasonable minds can differ of course.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    They are the silver lining to what has been a less than optimal start for Vandy.
    This is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    I think the biggest issue for Tennessee is that their natural recruiting base has seen major encroachment from a number of "non-traditional" rivals" over the past ~10 years - namely Memphis, Mississippi State, Kentucky and Louisville. And going back a little further, Virginia Tech. And that's in addition to Saban generally getting whomever he targets within the SEC region. The UT talent level these days is down pretty noticeably from the Majors and Fulmer eras.
    Definitely. Don't neglect the top regional talent is now funneling to Georgia or Clemson with schools like Duke and State picking off a lot of the kids that might used to be second string at a place like UT. Missing out on the top recruits as well as the pipeline of reliable depth is a prescription for disaster. Toss in some horribly managed coaching searches and the Vols are starting to look like NC State Basketball for much of two decades.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Toss in some horribly managed coaching searches and the Vols are starting to look like NC State Basketball for much of two decades.
    That is a masterful burn on two programs. Man the State fans will be...

...oh that was you, PackMan.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Makes you really appreciate the long term success our favorite program has experienced.
    You're right. Duke Women's Golf is out of this world.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

OK, Lynn Swann is out as AD at Southern Cal (the real and only USC)... the program is in a bit of a mess, and who is going to clean it up, you ask?

None other than new President Carol Folt, she of the "let's spend $18 million dollars to defend unc against the NCAA."

Yes, I'm sure a veteran denier and obfuscator is just what USC needs...

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Can't say she wasn't exactly what the cheaters needed. Maybe she's found her niche.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

OK, Lynn Swann is out as AD at Southern Cal (the real and only USC)... the program is in a bit of a mess, and who is going to clean it up, you ask?

None other than new President Carol Folt, she of the "let's spend $18 million dollars to defend unc against the NCAA."

There's already speculation that USC might be interested in noted crisis-manager Bubba Cunningham.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    There's already speculation that USC might be interested in noted crisis-manager Bubba Cunningham.
    Why not the Admiral? He’s shown a propensity for navigating rough waters without personally drowning.

a more positive view

I think every college President reports to the Board of Trustees or something similar.
    At the cheaters Folt was told to protect the banners, which she did.
    At USC I think she was told to clean up the mess Max Nikias left behind. She is doing so. And it is not just athletics where there were major problems.

Swann was the least qualified of the last 3 USC ADs, never should have been given the job and never should have accepted. It was basically the work of the major donor to the program.

A very safe bet is that the next AD will not be a former football star with no experience in athletic administration after Garrett, Haden, Swann. Interesting question is what does it mean for football coach Clay Helton. He had a great win over Stanford on Saturday. A new AD may want his guy as coach, but hard to fire a coach after a good season. Question - how good a season is good enough for Helton.

Hiring college Presidents who are good at raising money with no concept of what they are really doing is also not a good idea.

SoCal - Married to a Trojan