Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Is beating Baylor twice better than beating Oregon once? Because otherwise, to my eye, the OU/UofU resumes look pretty similar.
    Yes, if Oklahoma beats Baylor twice; their resume is better. Will be a fun controversy if it comes down that clear definition of 3 in and only 2 vying for spot 4.

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Yes, if Oklahoma beats Baylor twice; their resume is better. Will be a fun controversy if it comes down that clear definition of 3 in and only 2 vying for spot 4.
    The fun will come when whoever is #1(LSU or Ohio St) plasters whichever made it and the #5 team is left with “see, we wouldn’t have lost 42-7!”

Final Four

I think LSU and Ohio State are in, regardless of how they do in the Conference Championship games.

Clemson should have no trouble with UVa, but if they stumble then they could be out if Utah and OU win.

UGa needs to be beat LSU to get in. If Utah, OU and UGa lose, then probably Baylor.

I would think OU gets in before Utah but it could come down to an "eye test" of how they look in the championship games.

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    I think LSU and Ohio State are in, regardless of how they do in the Conference Championship games.

Clemson should have no trouble with UVa, but if they stumble then they could be out if Utah and OU win.

UGa needs to be beat LSU to get in. If Utah, OU and UGa lose, then probably Baylor.

I would think OU gets in before Utah but it could come down to an "eye test" of how they look in the championship games.

SoCal
    Yeah, I think you got it. If LSU, Ohio State and Clemson all win, a Big 12 or PAC-12 gets the bid, which is fine with me: Utah, Oklahoma or Baylor.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Yeah, I think you got it. If LSU, Ohio State and Clemson all win, a Big 12 or PAC-12 gets the bid, which is fine with me: Utah, Oklahoma or Baylor.
    So, consensus seems to be that, with a win over Baylor, OU gets in over Utah. Does Baylor also get in over Utah if Baylor defeats OU? If so, why? The “Baylor is better known” argument seems hollow. (**And, yes, I’m assuming, operationally, a Utah win over Oregon.)
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

So, consensus seems to be that, with a win over Baylor, OU gets in over Utah. Does Baylor also get in over Utah if Baylor defeats OU? If so, why? The “Baylor is better known” argument seems hollow. (**And, yes, I’m assuming, operationally, a Utah win over Oregon.)
    Well, one of those three will end the season 12-1, and maybe two. Although conceding that Georgia has three good wins over Notre Dame, @Auburn and Florida, I would still rather see one of the other teams get the bid over an 11-2 Georgia.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    I think LSU and Ohio State are in, regardless of how they do in the Conference Championship.

SoCal

Daughter Green Wave Dukie about to move to Wisconsin where her boyfriend is a big Badger (football only - so no real worries) fan. If they were to upset tOSU, aren’t they in? Haven’t seen this weeks rankings, but they gotta be up to 8 or so after yesterday, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Green Wave Dukie View Post
    Daughter Green Wave Dukie about to move to Wisconsin where her boyfriend is a big Badger (football only - so no real worries) fan. If they were to upset tOSU, aren’t they in? Haven’t seen this weeks rankings, but they gotta be up to 8 or so after yesterday, right?
    Scratch that - I thought they only had one loss. They are 10-2.

As RosannaDanna used to say..., “ Never Mind”

Florida quarterback Felipe Franks has announced that he will not return to UF for his final season, but instead will either enter the NFL draft or take the graduate transfer route to finish his collegiate career at another program.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...es-his-future/

Franks was a 4-star recruit who exhibited outstanding skills both passing and running the ball against SEC-caliber competition before an unfortunate injury sidelined him early this season, resulting in Kyle Trask taking over as the starting QB for the Gators. The main criticisms directed at Franks were that he sometimes had difficulty reading defenses quickly enough to make the right decisions with the ball, and occasionally allowed his emotions to spill over -- in short, he sometimes showed a lack of good judgment on the field. On the other hand, his teammates really liked him, and he was capable of elite-level play when he was focused and in rhythm.

I'll be curious to see whether there is any mutual interest between Franks and Duke, because I think Coach Cutcliffe could provide the kind of tutoring that would help Felipe remedy his weaknesses as a QB, and his skills and experience would seem to be of benefit to the Duke football team.

Scratch that - I thought they only had one loss. They are 10-2.

As Emily Litella used to say..., “ Never Mind”
    Fixed it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    Florida quarterback Felipe Franks has announced that he will not return to UF for his final season, but instead will either enter the NFL draft or take the graduate transfer route to finish his collegiate career at another program.

I'll be curious to see whether there is any mutual interest between Franks and Duke, because I think Coach Cutcliffe could provide the kind of tutoring that would help Felipe remedy his weaknesses as a QB, and his skills and experience would seem to be of benefit to the Duke football team.
    I agree this is interesting and worth keeping an eye on.
    Bob Green

By the way, the Green Wave had a really respectable turnout in Dallas on Saturday. That was the most away fans of a non-Texas team at SMU in a while.

I don't like Baylor, but based on how both they and TCU were passed over when they were playoff candidates in favor of state schools, I would put money on Utah. Baylor is definitely not "better known" (or a bigger name) than Utah. The main thing the Bears would have going for them is beating the team that gave them their sole loss, something Utah can't achieve.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    I don't like Baylor, but based on how both they and TCU were passed over when they were playoff candidates in favor of state schools, I would put money on Utah. Baylor is definitely not "better known" (or a bigger name) than Utah. The main thing the Bears would have going for them is beating the team that gave them their sole loss, something Utah can't achieve.
    I'm going to disagree on the second point. Baylor is definitely better known than Utah, and has been in a P5 conference for about 14 years longer (Utah being a relative newcomer). I mean, people are familiar with the name/word "Utah" because it is also a state, but name recognition for the school/athletic programs...not so much. Utah is not a state school the same way that Texas, Alabama, etc. are state schools.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I'm going to disagree on the second point. Baylor is definitely better known than Utah, and has been in a P5 conference for about 14 years longer (Utah being a relative newcomer). I mean, people are familiar with the name/word "Utah" because it is also a state, but name recognition for the school/athletic programs...not so much. Utah is not a state school the same way that Texas, Alabama, etc. are state schools.
    Agreed...between RG3, Brile's success, then Brile's controversy, and now the new coach getting it going, Baylor does have higher profile than Utah at present. That said, I think Utah is better team.

Perhaps our friend Austin Devil doesn't realize how high a profile Baylor has outside of Texas, where EVERYTHING is about Texas and A and M....

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Agreed...between RG3, Brile's success, then Brile's controversy, and now the new coach getting it going, Baylor does have higher profile than Utah at present. That said, I think Utah is better team.

Perhaps our friend Austin Devil doesn't realize how high a profile Baylor has outside of Texas, where EVERYTHING is about Texas and A and M...
    I'm aware that they are known. They've been in their share of big bowls, and made noise in basketball too. (No need to get into the myriad negative reasons people have heard of them, too, but I will go as far as saying having a high profile doesn't count for a lot when a significant chunk of your image is coddling rapists.)

I'm also not saying Utah is somehow Ohio State in terms of state-school stature, but I continue to suspect they have more pull than BU does if it comes down to the two of them winning the PAC 12 and the Big XII-IV+II. Style points may matter too.

By the way, everything in-state here is not nearly all about UT and the Aggies as it used to be, because Texas has been down(-ish) for so long and while people are impressed with A&M being in the SEC, Texans don't know anything at all about SEC schools not named LSU or Alabama and A&M has been down(-ish) for a while, too.

So, Utah at 5 and OU at 6 in this week’s CFP rankings, meaning the Sooners would have to leapfrog the Utes. A second win over Baylor is the tipping point?
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

I realize it's his shtick, but does anyone have worse/more annoying college football takes than Paul Finebaum?

I realize it's his shtick, but does anyone have worse/more annoying college football takes than Paul Finebaum?
    Didn't like his anti-Clemson rant this morning?

The dickie v. of college football.