Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Oh, I’m watching. I pride myself on being a masochistic fan.

Michigan should’ve gone harder after Cutcliffe five years ago. And may end up trying again this winter.

To have a horrible week of work, but looking forward to a fun big game on Saturday to get you through it, to just get embarrassed like this? To not have a single enjoyable element of the game as a fan? Just... ugh.

Is it basketball season yet guys?
    Please pine for UM to steal Duke’s coach elsewhere. I don’t (much) mind how much Go Big Blue you post on here, but this is too much.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    Please pine for UM to steal Duke’s coach elsewhere. I don’t (much) mind how much Go Big Blue you post on here, but this is too much.
    To be clear, I wasn’t pining for Michigan to take Cutcliffe. I don’t want him going anywhere, nor do I think he will.

But (and this is a 100% true story) before Michigan hired Harbaugh, and before he was connected to the job, my Dad called into a local sports talk radio show in Michigan when they were talking about potential coaches. He mentioned Cutcliffe. He was mocked. But given how the past five years have gone I think a lot of Michigan fans would love to have Cutcliffe in hindsight. The thought certainly wouldn’t be scoffed at like it was.

That’s all I was saying. Cutcliffe isn’t gonna go to Michigan. But I’ll chuckle when the hot seat speculation gets out of hand, as it inevitably does, and Cut now gets mentioned. That’s all I was getting at.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Also, just for the record, no Michigan fan has ever said Go Big Blue. That’s Kentucky’s thing, haha.

Also, just for the record, no Michigan fan has ever said Go Big Blue. That’s Kentucky’s thing, haha.
    Fair enough. But you’re a Michigan fan, saying on this board that Michigan “should” have gone harder at Cut before, and might again. Nope.

I don't really understand how this stuff works.
    Week one, BYU gets schooled by Utah.
    Week three, BYU beats USC.
    Week four, USC beats Utah.

If be tempted to think that our loss to Utah was a fluke had we not been completely and utterly humiliated by Washington today. Ouch. Michigan's loss was respectable by comparison.

This game is absolutely crazy, but nobody will see it because it is 2:00 a.m. 123 points scored with 5 minutes left to go, and its a 3 point game (60-63).

Ahhh, so a defensive struggle.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Ahhh, so a defensive struggle.
    Yep. Both defenses struggled.

Between Jacob Eason and Justin Field UGA mayhave 2 former qbs in NY at the end of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I don't really understand how this stuff works.
    Week one, BYU gets schooled by Utah.
    Week three, BYU beats USC.
    Week four, USC beats Utah.

If be tempted to think that our loss to Utah was a fluke had we not been completely and utterly humiliated by Washington today. Ouch. Michigan's loss was respectable by comparison.
    Isn’t the transitive property terrific?
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

[QUOTE=scottdude8;1185697]Oh, I’m watching. I pride myself on being a masochistic fan.

Michigan should’ve gone harder after Cutcliffe five years ago. And may end up trying again this winter.
    /QUOTE]

---one thing for sure, Cut's team sure handled Middle Tennessee easier than Harbaugh's team did....

Michigan fans would have burned down Ann Arbor if Cut had been hired...

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post

---one thing for sure, Cut's team sure handled Middle Tennessee easier than Harbaugh's team did...
    My thought exactly! Not to mention we handled Army last year in a way neither Oklahoma or (this year's) Michigan could. Cut is a hell of a coach. The only reason he isn't discussed more often in the "coaching carousel" is because people still haven't quite acknowledged that Duke is relevant in football again despite the last half-decade plus of success. Now I think (thankfully!) he's committed to Duke given he doesn't wan't to move again at his age, not to mention he loves Durham. But I think there are a lot of big programs who are kicking themselves that they didn't at least kick the tires half a decade ago.
    Last edited by -jk; 09-22-2019 at 12:45 PM. Reason: fix quote tag
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Michigan fans would have burned down Ann Arbor if Cut had been hired...
    You're 100% right, it would've been super unpopular at the time. Which is why it was never a serious option. But ask Michigan fans (who are informed college football fans) now if they'd like Cut as their coach, and I think you'd be surprised how many would say yes.

Again, I'm NOT saying I want Cutcliffe at Michigan, or that Michigan is thinking about that (I have no inside info as much as I wish I did!), or that there's any chance of that happening. I just think that the speculation machine is about to start operating at maximum capacity, and Cut's name may (and probably should!) come up for big name jobs. Which shows how far Duke football has come and how thankful we should be that he's our coach.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

You're 100% right, it would've been super unpopular at the time. Which is why it was never a serious option. But ask Michigan fans (who are informed college football fans) now if they'd like Cut as their coach, and I think you'd be surprised how many would say yes.

Again, I'm NOT saying I want Cutcliffe at Michigan, or that Michigan is thinking about that (I have no inside info as much as I wish I did!), or that there's any chance of that happening. I just think that the speculation machine is about to start operating at maximum capacity, and Cut's name may (and probably should!) come up for big name jobs. Which shows how far Duke football has come and how thankful we should be that he's our coach.
    of course I agree...Michigan football fans generally feel they swim in more exclusive waters than those in which we find Duke coaches...I'm totally neutral on Michigan, but for all his publicity and bluster, I find Harbaugh's teams to be somewhat underwhelming...

As for Cut: well, he makes $2.6 million per year from Duke with absolutely minimal pressure (as long as he gets to a bowl, any bowl, most years) while Harbaugh gets $7 million at ultra high pressure Michigan. I know coaches can be alpha dogs who love challenges, but I'd like to think Cut has a better situation at Duke.

Having said that...Cut was sorely tempted by Tennessee once before, and the Vols are currently playing like soiled cat litter, so it wouldn't stun me for the Vols to come calling again (losses to Georgia State have consequences)...Pruitt makes about $4 million there now...I'd like to think the Duke situation is a pretty ideal one for Cut as he enters his 66th year...

My thought exactly! Not to mention we handled Army last year in a way neither Oklahoma or (this year's) Michigan could. Cut is a hell of a coach. The only reason he isn't discussed more often in the "coaching carousel" is because people still haven't quite acknowledged that Duke is relevant in football again despite the last half-decade plus of success. Now I think (thankfully!) he's committed to Duke given he doesn't wan't to move again at his age, not to mention he loves Durham. But I think there are a lot of big programs who are kicking themselves that they didn't at least kick the tires half a decade ago.
    I tend to agree with this; I think another factor in him being left alone is simply that he's reached a certain age, and if Tennessee wasn't able to tempt him the second time they came calling, then really no one will. He's not going to chase a bigger-name program with the uncertainties that would bring.

I tend to agree with this; I think another factor in him being left alone is simply that he's reached a certain age, and if Tennessee wasn't able to tempt him the second time they came calling, then really no one will. He's not going to chase a bigger-name program with the uncertainties that would bring.
    This discussion is silly. Cutcliffe just turned 65 -- he ain't going anywhere.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    While I agree that he isn't going elsewhere, age isn't the reason.
    Mack Brown is 68, he didn't mind getting back in the game. Mid 60s doesn't keep someone in place.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    65 is the new 50, says this 69 year old guy hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    While I agree that he isn't going elsewhere, age isn't the reason.
    Mack Brown is 68, he didn't mind getting back in the game. Mid 60s doesn't keep someone in place.
    After yesterday, I think ol mack deserves a 10 year extension...
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.