Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Apparently it is a hip injury. Tua currently getting X-rays. Not good news.
    Bob Green

Football is an odd sport in that it manages to maim so many of its stars on a regular basis...

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post
    Tim Tebow was right. This morning he said that Tua should sit, get healthy for Auburn game.
    The TV color guy, Griese, said the same thing, and it certainly did appear that Tua was not coming back in after the fifth TD. Jones was warming up...and apparently Nick made a dumb decision.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    ...and apparently Nick made a dumb decision.
    Hindsight is always 20/20. Saban said they wanted Tua to get some 2-minute drill practice. I’m certain he would like a do over on that one.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Hindsight is always 20/20. Saban said they wanted Tua to get some 2-minute drill practice. I’m certain he would like a do over on that one.

Sometimes foresight is 20-20 also.

This is not just hindsight....the TV announcer, the color guy, Griese, said that Tua should be done after 35-7....and FWIW I agreed....albeit on my couch at home. It appeared that Tua thought he was done, as a pretty big deal was made out of the fact that he went over the sideline and his posture with his teammates was one that appeared he was done for the day. Meanwhile, Jones, the second string QB, was warming up as if to go it. Something changed.

The TV guys wondered, and I think rightfully so, if Saban told Tua he was done, then changed his mind. It is clear that the Bama players thought Tua was done at the 6-7 minute mark when they scored. So no, this is NOT hindsight. This is I told ya so.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Football is an odd sport in that it manages to maim so many of its stars on a regular basis...
    It does say something about our society that a sport that (I cannot think of a better word than yours) maims such a significant percentage of its participants is, by far, the most popular spectator sport in America.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Apparently it is a hip injury. Tua currently getting X-rays. Not good news.
    Kid had such an amazing start to his career. This does not look good.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    It does say something about our society that a sport that (I cannot think of a better word than yours) maims such a significant percentage of its participants is, by far, the most popular spectator sport in America.
    And ironically, there are those who think the rules have been watered down, and it's not the physical game it used to be. Clearly, looking at all the QBs for example, who are hurt in college and the NFL, that's not the case.

What do you think it says about our society? And do you watch college and/or pro football? I’m not trying to mess with you; I’m honestly just curious to hear your thoughts.

Bad day for injuries. In the UGa - Auburn game, a female student photographer from UGa on the sideline was knocked unconscious when players ran out of bounds. After a long stoppage in play, she was taken off on a stretcher after opening her eyes.

I can think of a better word than "maimed","injured". Look up the dictionary definitions of maimed and I think you will agree that very few football players are maimed, many are injured, most come back and live normal lives.

Football is a great game to watch. I don't think many fans, if any, take delight in the injuries. I'm not sure what you think football fandom says about our society but I think it has nothing to do with injuries. What criticism do you bring on our society about our interest in football?

At the same time, I think CTE is a major issue and anyone who plays football should be aware of the potential for CTE somewhere down the road. I 'm all in favor of the NFL trying to make the game safer.

Not trying to be disagreeable but I don't understand your broad indictment of our society because we generally enjoy football.

On a more positive note, Clemson is up on WF 45-3 with 78 minutes left in the 3rd. The Tigers have spend the last month rounding into playoff form...

Last week I was at the NCSU/Clemson game. It was 42-0 at halftime. Most the the State fans left at halftime...I ended up with great seats!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    What do you think it says about our society? And do you watch college and/or pro football? I’m not trying to mess with you; I’m honestly just curious to hear your thoughts.
    No prob. Any sport has its inherent dangers, but American football seems to be way beyond the norm in that regard. I do not know statistics of the percentage of players (amateur or pro, either one) that suffer serious injuries affecting the quality of life of its participants, but again I would expect American football to have the worst statistics of that type, both in quantity of injuries and in the magnitude of those injuries; I don't think the next sport would be anywhere close (OK, maybe boxing and MMA, but maiming is a goal in those sports, best as I can tell). And the thing that makes it stand out to me is that a significant percentage of these injuries are made possible by the protective gear that football players wear, particularly helmets; defensive gear is being used in offensive (stress on first syllable) manners. I admit to being hypocritical myself, as I still enjoy watching Duke football (and Tennessee football, for the sake of my marriage), but other football (particularly NFL, which bores me to tears) is pretty much dead to me. I cannot help but think that football has reached gladiator sport status in this country.

Then again, I am a Pollyanna.

The Romans enjoyed gladiator fighting.

No prob. Any sport has its inherent dangers, but American football seems to be way beyond the norm in that regard. I do not know statistics of the percentage of players (amateur or pro, either one) that suffer serious injuries affecting the quality of life of its participants, but again I would expect American football to have the worst statistics of that type, both in quantity of injuries and in the magnitude of those injuries; I don't think the next sport would be anywhere close (OK, maybe boxing and MMA, but maiming is a goal in those sports, best as I can tell). And the thing that makes it stand out to me is that a significant percentage of these injuries are made possible by the protective gear that football players wear, particularly helmets; defensive gear is being used in offensive (stress on first syllable) manners. I admit to being hypocritical myself, as I still enjoy watching Duke football (and Tennessee football, for the sake of my marriage), but other football (particularly NFL, which bores me to tears) is pretty much dead to me. I cannot help but think that football has reached gladiator sport status in this country.

Then again, I am a Pollyanna.
    How about rugby? Play and donate teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    How about rugby? Play and donate teeth.
    Rugby doesn't have as many high speed collisions...different nature of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Kid had such an amazing start to his career. This does not look good.
    Tua’s done for the season with dislocated hip and could be a career threatening injury.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...dislocated-hip
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Tua’s done for the season with dislocated hip and could be a career threatening injury.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...dislocated-hip
    Isn’t a dislocated hip the same injury that Mark Gilbert had last year? I don’t know if he had a fracture as well - I remember the play was away from the ball. But I remember a dr. on the board at the time compared it to the injury that ended Bo Jackson's career, but said the biggest threat to recovery wasn’t the injury itself but the AVN that frequently accompanies the injury.

Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    Isn’t a dislocated hip the same injury that Mark Gilbert had last year? I don’t know if he had a fracture as well - I remember the play was away from the ball. But I remember a dr. on the board at the time compared it to the injury that ended Bo Jackson's career, but said the biggest threat to recovery wasn’t the injury itself but the AVN that frequently accompanies the injury.
    Gilbert's injury had some complications regarding blood vessels or blood flow or something from what I recall. Tua's may or may not be as severe.

One more undefeated team falls (Minnesota). Baylor is laying it on thick against Oklahoma. 'Bama probably loses the benefit of the doubt without Tua at the helm and has no path to the playoffs without something like 5 or 6 teams having enormous collapses in the final two wees.